• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianpilot

I'm an NROTC first class midshipman and I'm getting ready to submit my service selection package. Of course aviation (pilot) is my first choice and I was wondering if any of you have some insight about how hard it is to get aviation right now.

Tessone

The Marine Corps seems to be very full in terms of ground officers and is pushing a lot of people toward air contracts (my recruiter was onto me for four months solid before I switched).

However, since you're NROTC, I'd imagine the numbers are pretty different for you as opposed to us folks applying for OCS. Maybe some Marine Options have some gouge on this?

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know the latest numbers on NROTC, however, don't let what the OCS guys are going through worry you too much. The NROTC program pulls it's people from a different set of numbers than OCS. OCS is used as a way to fill the gaps that the Academy and ROTC can't fill. At least that was the deal a couple of years ago. This can explain why the numbers flucuate so weirdly for the OCS candidates. Good luck!

SkyHigh

FYI - for anyone curious as to the NEEDS OF THE NAVY, and aviation. During a meeting with my recruiting command office, we were informed that for this fiscal year only 150 pilot slots were available across the whole country for every recruiting district. Might signify how difficult it might be to get service selection pilot slots. And how smart this years crop of Pilot candidates are.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's correct, that's for the recruiting district. There's loads more for the other commissioning sources.

SkyHigh

How many more slots could there be for the other ROTC and Academy guys for SNA's? From what i heard.. not that great either

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just to give a general idea, since I don't know the numbers offhand... The Academy gets roughly 40%, ROTC gets 40%, and OCS gets the remainder. It's been a while, so I may be off a bit there...it might be 90%/10% instead of 80/20, but you get the idea. Obviously slots are rather fluid, but just because there are more people staying in post-9/11, that still doesn't mean the Navy doesn't need pilots in general. I'm noticing that people saying there aren't any more jet slots also think that means no pilot slots, but there ARE other needs.

Supposedly, Millington has some crazy formula to figure out what their needs are 8-10 years down the road, which is where the service selection numbers come in.

SkyHigh, I'm not directing this at you personally, so please don't think I'm discounting the info you're getting. I wouldn't doubt that there are fewer spots all around for a while. But one thing that's important to remember that Navy's way of life is so fluid, it's gaseous...ie things change often.
icon_smile.gif

ghost_ttu

Things that need to change ASAP.....Ghost needs to get a call notifying of selection for SNA. We all need to be thinking very collectively on this one. I'm even resorting to common brainwaves that might flow into the minds of Millington.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

SkyHigh

Gatordev,
totally understand that logic it makes alot of sense. I also have heard that it is a ratio breakdown, and the recruiting districts get what they are handed after the academy and ROTC are done. That being said I had a few friends just get out of the academy and ROTC, and the numbers were down for them as well.
It does seem like a lot of guys talk about how few JET slots are being awarded. There are alot of other platforms to fly, but not everyone wants to fly something straight and level, or circle a ship. Nothing against it, but everyone has a personality fit, and different platforms seem better suited to different personalities. I nkow a guy that got helos, and quit (not just walk out) because it did not fit him. It is obviously a moot point, and the only real logical way to get what you want is PRAY. And how logical is that?
-- there is nothing sexy about flying straight and level!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by SkyHigh

...It does seem like a lot of guys talk about how few JET slots are being awarded. There are alot of other platforms to fly, but not everyone wants to fly something straight and level, or circle a ship. Nothing against it, but everyone has a personality fit, and different platforms seem better suited to different personalities. I nkow a guy that got helos, and quit (not just walk out) because it did not fit him. It is obviously a moot point, and the only real logical way to get what you want is PRAY. And how logical is that?
-- there is nothing sexy about flying straight and level!!

Yeah, it definately seems to be the case about Jets. I've heard the ratio thing also, which is why I've mentioned OCS as a "filler." Personally, I think it's pretty gay to walk away because you didn't get what you wanted. Kind of like taking your toys home, but that's me. And I TOTALLY agree about flying straight and level. Who wants to do that?!?
icon_smile_wink.gif
I love being 50 feet and zipping around the place. That's one reason why I think HC is a pretty neat choice now that they have the Sierra online.

I understand your points though...to each his own.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Sierra is the newest -60 that Navy just got (-60S). It's set to replace the -46. It's been a few months since I heard the last bit of of info, but Guam got the first squadron and then they'll start replacing the others. I've got a friend there now flying them and they do the usual Vertrep stuff, but also do lots of SEAL hooya stuff. Actually pretty much everyone does something w/ the SEALs, but the HC guys are doing stuff specifcally to fulfill that mission. Kind of like what the -60H's do.

Anyway, the Sierra, from what I understand, is an all glass cockpit, which is kind of cool. I just hope they made the glare shield smaller, because you can't see squat out of a -60.

Status
Not open for further replies.