• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection-NROTC Class of '14

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't mean to start a cafeteria food fight here, but OCS has always been recognized as the best value option for the buyer, albeit the "chanciest option" for the would-be seller.

An academically, aptitudinally and physically-qualified Ensign...is an Ensign...is an Ensign…regardless of accession source.

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with my comment. It wasn't a quality comment, I just hadn't seen the actual numbers stated before.

Renegade One

None
All of which has absolutely nothing to do with my comment. It wasn't a quality comment, I just hadn't seen the actual numbers stated before.
Valid comeback.

I re-read the thread, and don't think I ever picked up on what I may be looking for…anyone have a "general idea" of the annual flow to SNA/SNFO from the three accession groups as a percentage of the whole? I know it doesn't matter…just curious. I'm just guessing that NA/NROTC probably split 75-85%, with OCS making up the difference? Does that sound about right?

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Here are the quotas for the beginning of FY13. They change (sometimes dramatically) through the FY as different accession sources fall short of SNA or SNFO and we move quotas around to try and retain the right mix. We ended FY13 on REV5. FY14 should be about the same, but there is still a lot of churn going on in the zero-sum game accession world.

Total (initial) FY13 goal: 1047 (774P/273N)
USNA: 230P/78N
NROTC: 228P/72N
STA-21: 40P/24N
OCS: 268P/91N
MMA: 5P/5N
IST/ISC: 3P/3N

Renegade One

None
Here are the quotas for the beginning of FY13. They change (sometimes dramatically) through the FY as different accession sources fall short of SNA or SNFO and we move quotas around to try and retain the right mix. We ended FY13 on REV5. FY14 should be about the same, but there is still a lot of churn going on in the zero-sum game accession world.

Wheelhouse reply, AOCM…thanks. Great info and very informative.

In gross numbers, it looks like about 33% to the three bigs…which is not what I expected to see. I admit to not really knowing what IST/ISC means…is/are these numbers for state military colleges like The Citadel, VMI, Texas A&M, Norwich, etc? Inquiring minds want to know...

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Inter-Service Transfer/Inter-Service Commission. This is where we try to help those who made the unfortunate decision to join the USAF or go to West Point. ...sort of like saving lost souls...

MMA is for the Merchant Marine Academies. They are a tricky lot and tough to nail down as they can (and some do) reject their quota up to the moment of graduation. Still, if there is a strong demand signal from these institutions then we may slide them a few more quotas through the year.

The aviation accession plan is built solely to fill first-tour fleet seats and is, therefore, a simple model. The fleet sends a demand signal for CAT 1 aviators and that requirement is adjusted for CNATRA and FRS (RAG) attrition to arrive at the accession number. Not a lot of slack in the line.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In gross numbers, it looks like about 33% to the three bigs…which is not what I expected to see.

Same same. I had originally thought it was ~20% (hence my post earlier). Definitely interesting to see the numbers having made the sausage in both stages of the production pipeline.

It's also interesting to see the STA-21 guys listed as separate. Probably because I'm still thinking in the old-school MIDN/ECP mind-set, but I figured those would have been lumped into ROTC's numbers. In hindsight, I guess it makes sense. They select STA-21 Pilot now out of the fleet, right?

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Same same. I had originally thought it was ~20% (hence my post earlier). Definitely interesting to see the numbers having made the sausage in both stages of the production pipeline.

It's also interesting to see the STA-21 guys listed as separate. Probably because I'm still thinking in the old-school MIDN/ECP mind-set, but I figured those would have been lumped into ROTC's numbers. In hindsight, I guess it makes sense. They select STA-21 Pilot now out of the fleet, right?
They do, but there is also a group of "core" STA-21 folks that need to be service assigned just like the rest of the NROTC mids. Those under the STA-21 PILOT or NFO option will automatically fill those quotas unless there is an NPQ issue.

GOHara

Assuming the board meets this week, what is the typical/expected turn around time for announcing the results?

exNavyOffRec

for comparison the OCS numbers listed are essentially right in the middle of the goal sheets I still have from past FY's some were higher some were lower.