• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Selection-NROTC Class of '14

PcolaOrBust

Has anyone heard when boards will be conducted this year? Based on last year, I could guess mid-late October but I figure there's gotta be someone with more insight than myself. Also, any idea how many spots for Pilot/FO this fiscal year?

And, for anyone who wishes, feel free to post the following:
1) ASTB scores
2) GPA and Academic major
3) Assignment Preference (1390/1970/etc)

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Service Assignment for YG13 was held in September last year. The FY14 Accession Plan is still in a bit of flux and causing a delay to this year's panel. However, I expect mid-late October as you've stated. Aviation quotas should be on par with FY13, but - again - the accession plan is still uncertain. Initial FY13 accession goals for NROTC were 228P/72N.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've never actually heard or seen the numbers before. So, roughly, that's ~500 SNAs a year, give or take a OCS class or two? From what I'm hearing, that number is only going to increase in the short term.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Total SNA target for 13 was 804. Probably going to come in a bit shy of that at ~797. SNFO target was 282 and going to come in ~262. Goals for 14 are 774 SNA and 279 SNFO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Didn't realize OCS supplied that many (percentage-wise). Also interesting to see the numbers not change much when the IPP (at least on the helo side) keeps increasing.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
The helo transition plan and associated training requirements have been a constantly moving target. A lot of these changes occur "inside the wire." The accession plan is built to fill first tour fleet seets. Therefore, it fills requirements two years out for most T/M/S - three years out for strike jet pilots who have a longer time to train. The FY14 plan will fill FY16 first tour requirements (FY17 requirements for strike jet pilot). If requirements were to drastically change for FY15 seats (i.e. force structure changes) there isn't a lot we can do about that from an accession standpoint as all of those aviators were bought in FY12/FY13. Furthermore, the ROTC and USNA folks are pretty much bought for the next four years - OCS is the only real lever.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy all. The numbers I've been hearing are for FY14-FY16, with FY15 and FY16 being where it really ramps up. My understanding is because the number of seats is increasing as they continue to start up new squadrons.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Yup - most of those were accounted for in the increased accessions in FY13 and those planned for FY14.

GOHara

Any word on how the current partial government shutdown is affecting when the board will meet? I'm sure December grads everywhere are starting to get a little anxious.

Renegade One

None
Didn't realize OCS supplied that many (percentage-wise).
Don't mean to start a cafeteria food fight here, but OCS has always been recognized as the best value option for the buyer, albeit the "chanciest option" for the would-be seller.

An academically, aptitudinally and physically-qualified Ensign...is an Ensign...is an Ensign…regardless of accession source.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Don't mean to start a cafeteria food fight here, but OCS has always been recognized as the best value option for the buyer, albeit the "chanciest option" for the would-be seller.

An academically, aptitudinally and physically-qualified Ensign...is an Ensign...is an Ensign…regardless of accession source.

It would take a major, major overhaul of our military for the academies to go away. But I bet that if you had to completely rebuild officer accession from the ground, you'd be crazy to suggest a four year college with sports and the whole shebang that costs that much. I'm glad to be from the most fiscally responsible officer accession source. :D

Renegade One

None
Until the Ensign goes freakin' Goofy at Disney World and starts taking out cast members
Then the accession source may come into play...
It would take a major, major overhaul of our military for the academies to go away. But I bet that if you had to completely rebuild officer accession from the ground, you'd be crazy to suggest a four year college with sports and the whole shebang that costs that much. I'm glad to be from the most fiscally responsible officer accession source. :D
Concur on all counts.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

One issue here is that the Navy (or other Service) controls the curriculum. At an ROTC school or through OCS, the Service has very little to no control of the education and lifestyle of the students.

Don't underestimate the appeal of almost total control!

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Any word on how the current partial government shutdown is affecting when the board will meet? I'm sure December grads everywhere are starting to get a little anxious.

FY14 NROTC/STA-21 Service Assignment Panel goes down next week.