• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service selection 2022

Gw-56

Hello,
I’m currently a 1/C MIDN set to commission this coming December. My number 1 choice for service selection is Aviation and my true number 2 choice would be SWO(N). I’ve heard that a Tier one major with above a 2.75 GPA shouldn’t put nuclear options anywhere on their selection sheet unless it was their first choice because they will definitely be sent to the NUKE community. I was just curious what you all have to say about putting SWO(N) as my second choice, or if I should leave it off entirely to increase chance for an SNA slot. I have taken the ASTB once and haven’t decided if I will take it again. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Major -Industrial and Systems Engineering
GPA- 3.12
ASTB- 6 7 6
PFA- 95

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you done the Nuke interview? If not, the SWO(N) choice is a waste and will be ignored. Also, have you spoken to your advisor/Aviation advisor?

I commissioned recently and I would recommend not putting SWO Nuke in your top 5 if you do not absolutely want it. I know of more than one individual who put SWO N at 4 with a solid STEM GPA and got "nuke drafted".

Pcoola19

Hello,
I’m currently a 1/C MIDN set to commission this coming December. My number 1 choice for service selection is Aviation and my true number 2 choice would be SWO(N). I’ve heard that a Tier one major with above a 2.75 GPA shouldn’t put nuclear options anywhere on their selection sheet unless it was their first choice because they will definitely be sent to the NUKE community. I was just curious what you all have to say about putting SWO(N) as my second choice, or if I should leave it off entirely to increase chance for an SNA slot. I have taken the ASTB once and haven’t decided if I will take it again. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Major -Industrial and Systems Engineering
GPA- 3.12
ASTB- 6 7 6
PFA- 95
Know a dude who put SWO(N) 2nd after pilot and got it. Nuke interview doesn’t matter if they feel your grades are good enough they’ll give you it and send you to DC down the road. Also, I’d recommend taking the ASTB again as you’ve mentioned. Anecdotally, I don’t know anyone who has taken it a 2nd time and gotten anything worse than the same scores. Higher scores will keep you from getting NFO drafted as well if you’re not too keen on that compared to pilot.

BarryD

Contributor
Have you done the Nuke interview? If not, the SWO(N) choice is a waste and will be ignored. Also, have you spoken to your advisor/Aviation advisor?
These days they draft/select people who haven’t interviewed with NR yet and of the dozen or so Nuke selectees I know only one interviewed before service selection.

However, in order to put Nuke down you do have to submit a Nuke application (there are people who submit Nuke apps who don’t put in for nuke as there are mandatory GPA tripwire applications).

All of the ROTC nuke draftees I know didn’t have 13x0 put down and wanted SWO, but we did have a few tier-1 people who wanted SNA avoid the nuke draft (and get SNA) and I’m pretty sure that nuke wasn’t anywhere on their dream sheet (they also had very good ASTB scores and GPAs).