• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Schools Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Thought I would post a list of the service schools available

JPME-1
Naval War College (O-4, O-5) Newport, RI http://www.nwc.navy.mil
College of Naval Warfare (O-5, O-6) Newport, RI http://www.nwc.navy.mil
Marine Corps Command and Staff College (O-4) Quantico, VA http://www.mcu.usmc.mil.csc/
Marine Corps War College (O-5, O-6) Quantico, VA http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/mcwar/default.cfm
Army Command and General Staff College (O-4) Fort Leavenworth, KS http://www.cgsc.army.mil
Army War College (O-5, O-6) Carlisle, PA http://www.carlisle.army.mil
Air Command and Staff College (O-4) Montgomery, AL http://www.acsc.au.af.mil
Air War College (O-5, O-6) Montgomery, AL http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/awc/awchome.htm

JPME-2
Joint Forces Staff College (O-4, O-5, O-6) Norfolk, VA http://www.jfsc.ndu.edu/
National War College (O-5, O-6) Washington, DC http://www.ndu.edu/nwc/index.htm
Industrial College of the Armed Forces (O-5, O-6) Washington, DC http://www.ndu.edu/icaf/

Other JPME
National Defense University (O-5, O-6, O-7) Washington, DC http://www.ndu.edu/rcnsc/

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good resource 46Driver. Just as an aside, the Air Command and Staff College teaches their class at most AF bases with resident instructors. The classes meet in the evening a couple days a week. Navy folks, active and reserve can attend and get full credit on graduation. It is a great deal. Frankly, the course work isn't too difficult and it is the best way to get service college credit as an 0-3/0-4.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Great info 46driver! To continue the info on JPME, a NAVADMIN 210/04 was released the other day, with an expansion on the CDROM based program, here are the details:

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/navadmin/navad04.html

TO NAVADMIN
RATUZYUW RUEWMCS0142 2542202-UUUU--RUCRNAD.
ZNR UUUUU ZUI RUENAAA0142 2542202
R 102202Z SEP 04 ZYB MIN PSN 077875J34
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N00T//
TO NAVADMIN
BT
UNCLAS //N01520//
NAVADMIN 210/04
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N00T/-/SEP//
SUBJ/EXPANSION OF JPME I AND THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE CD ROM-BASED
/PROGRAM//
REF/A/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/092320ZMAR2004//
AMPN/REF A (NAVADMIN 061/04) ANNOUNCED IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NAVAL
WAR COLLEGE'S CD ROM-BASED CORRESPONDENCE PROGRAM.//
POC/DAVE MAGILL/PROF/CDE PROGRAM MANAGER/LOC:NEWPORT, RI
/TEL:(401) 841-6524/TEL:DSN 948-6524/EMAIL:MAGILLD@NWC.NAVY.MIL//
RMKS/1. THIS NAVADMIN ANNOUNCES ENROLLMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR FY05
AND THE REMAINDER OF FY04 FOR THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE'S CD
ROM-BASED, NONRESIDENT INTERMEDIATE LEVEL COLLEGE PROGRAM.
2. THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS AN UPDATE TO REF A THAT FURTHER INCREASES
OPPORTUNITIES FOR INTERMEDIATE LEVEL PROFESSIONAL MILITARY
EDUCATION (PME) COMPLETION, INCLUDING JOINT PROFESSIONAL MILITARY
PAGE 02 RUEWMCS0142 UNCLAS
EDUCATION (JPME) I, BY DELIVERING A CHAIRMAN JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF
(CJCS)-ACCREDITED, MARITIME-FOCUSED PROGRAM FOR UNRESTRICTED LINE
(URL) OFFICERS. DELIVERY OF THIS PROGRAM HAS BEEN OPENED UP TO ALL
O-4 TO O-6 URL OFFICERS ON THE ACTIVE-DUTY LIST TO INCLUDE THOSE ON
SHORE DUTY.
3. THE NAVAL WAR COLLEGE'S (NWC) COLLEGE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION
(CDE) WILL ADMINISTER THIS COURSE OF STUDY THAT PRESENTS STRATEGY
AND POLICY (S&P), JOINT MARITIME OPERATIONS (JMO), AND NATIONAL
SECURITY DECISION MAKING (NSDM) VIA A SET OF COMPACT DISKS AND
SUPPORTING CURRICULUM MATERIAL. UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION, AN
OFFICER WILL BE AWARDED A CDE COMMAND AND STAFF DIPLOMA, JPME I
CREDIT, AND A JS7 ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION DESIGNATION (AQD).
4. THE PROGRAM EMPLOYS BOTH VIDEO AND AUDIO LECTURES TO HELP
OFFICERS COMPLETE THE COURSE REQUIREMENTS BY HIGHLIGHTING KEY
THEMATIC POINTS ESSENTIAL TO UNDERSTANDING THE MATERIAL. CDE
ESTIMATES THAT IT WILL TAKE AN OFFICER 16-18 MONTHS TO COMPLETE
THIS PROGRAM BASED ON A COMMITMENT OF 4-6 HOURS PER WEEK.
ESTIMATES INCLUDE: 4 MONTHS TO COMPLETE S&P; 7-8 MONTHS TO
COMPLETE JMO; AND 5 MONTHS TO COMPLETE NSDM. COURSE SEQUENCE IS
NORMALLY S&P FOLLOWED BY JMO AND NSDM. IF AN OFFICER HAS COMPLETED
PAGE 03 RUEWMCS0142 UNCLAS
ANY OF THESE COURSES BY OTHER CDE NONRESIDENT PROGRAMS, THAT
OFFICER MAY ENROLL IN THE COURSE(S) REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE PROGRAM.
5. INTERNET ACCESS IS NOT REQUIRED. STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE ACCESS
TO AN IBM COMPATIBLE PC OR LAPTOP COMPUTER WITH THE FOLLOWING NMCI
COMPATIBLE SOFTWARE CAPABILITIES: WINDOWS XP, WINDOWS 2000, OR
WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION; INTERNET EXPLORER OR NETSCAPE BROWSER;
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER VERSION 9; MACROMEDIA FLASH PLAYER VERSION 5;
ADOBE ACROBAT READER VERSION 5 (THESE LAST 3 ITEMS ARE PROVIDED ON
THE COMPACT DISKS). STUDENTS WILL SUBMIT WRITTEN ASSIGNMENTS TO
CDE BY MEANS OF E-MAIL, FAX, OR THE POSTAL SYSTEM AS APPROPRIATE TO
INDIVIDUAL SITUATIONS. CDE FACULTY WILL ASSESS THEM AND PROVIDE
INDIVIDUAL FEEDBACK. UPON SATISFACTORY COMPLETION OF A COURSE, CDE
WILL AUTOMATICALLY SHIP THE MATERIAL FOR THE NEXT COURSE TO THE
STUDENT UNLESS OTHERWISE DIRECTED BY THE OFFICER. IF THE OFFICER
SO DESIRES, CDE WILL SHIFT THE OFFICER TO ITS WEB-ENABLED
CORRESPONDENCE PROGRAM.
6. THERE ARE 200 QUOTAS AVAILABLE FOR FY05 AND OVER 60 REMAINING
FOR FY04. PRIORITY FOR ENROLLMENT IS ACTIVE DUTY URL OFFICERS
SERVING ON SEA DUTY (TYPE ASSIGNMENT CODES C AND D PER MILPERSMAN
1300-300), THOSE AT REMOTE AND ISOLATED OVERSEAS DUTY STATIONS
PAGE 04 RUEWMCS0142 UNCLAS
DESIGNATED IN MILPERSMAN 1300-308 AND THEN THOSE ON SHORE DUTY AS
FOLLOWS:
A. PRIORITY I: O-6 URL OFFICERS FROM YEAR GROUPS 78, 79, 80,
81, AND 82.
B. PRIORITY II: ALL OTHER O-6 URL OFFICERS.
C. PRIORITY III: ALL O-5 POST-COMMAND/IN-COMMAND/COMMAND
SCREENED URL OFFICERS.
D. PRIORITY IV: ALL OTHER O-5 URL OFFICERS.
E. PRIORITY V: ALL O-4 URL OFFICERS.
7. BASED ON FUTURE DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF BROAD-BASED
PME CONTINUA FOR BOTH OFFICER AND ENLISTED PERSONNEL, IT IS
ANTICIPATED THAT IN FUTURE YEARS, AVAILABILITY OF THIS COURSE WILL
EXPAND BEYOND THE PRIORITY TARGET GROUPS LISTED IN PARAGRAPH 6.
OPTIONS TO EXPAND THE PROGRAM IN FY06 AND BEYOND ARE CURRENTLY
BEING EVALUATED BASED ON FEEDBACK FROM FY04 PARTICIPANTS,
LEGISLATIVE REQUIREMENTS AND OVERALL SERVICE NEEDS.
8. NWC IS READY TO ACCEPT APPLICATIONS. THE PREFERRED APPLICATION
METHOD IS ONLINE VIA THE CDE WEB SITE AT CDE.NWC.NAVY.MIL. THOSE
UNABLE TO APPLY ONLINE SHOULD REQUEST A FAX OF THE APPLICATION BY
PHONE FROM THE POC ABOVE AND RETURN IT BY FAX TO (401) 841-2457,
PAGE 05 RUEWMCS0142 UNCLAS
(DSN 948) OR SEND IT BY MAIL TO DIRECTOR, COLLEGE OF DISTANCE
EDUCATION, NAVAL WAR COLLEGE (CODE 1G), 686 CUSHING ROAD, NEWPORT,
RI 02841. CDE WILL ENROLL APPLICANTS BASED ON ABOVE PRIORITIES AND
DATE OF APPLICATION RECEIPT, AND NOTIFY THOSE OFFICERS ACCEPTED.
9. RELEASED BY VADM A. G. HARMS, JR., DIRECTOR OF NAVAL EDUCATION
AND TRAINING.//
BT
NNNN

46Driver

If there are any questions you want answered, let me know and I will try to find out - I am currently at the Naval War College now for the 2 week Joint Military Operations Course. There have been some changes mandated by Congress that will come into effect within the next 3 years: I believe you have to be JPME 1 complete to make O-6 and JPME 2 - plus 2 years worth of joint service - to make flag. I'll try to get complete details today.

saltpeter

46 - Since leaving active duty I've been talking with a reserve recruiter and he seems, well, only slightly less clueless than I am. The jobs he e-mails me with are all over the spectrum and when I call him with questions, he gives the standard stock and block answers of how flexible the reserves are and once I'm sworn in I can simply transfer between commands and schedule my drill periods as my availability allows. As an 0-3, former NFO, the schools you've listed are above my paygrade. He originally offered me a AT branch O position out of Norfolk, although, I wouldn't have drill in Norfolk and only occassionally go TAD there. Can this be true? Is there a website that will allow me see the boards he's looking at for jobs to fill and read up on them? Being a branch O seems more in line with a job an 01 should be doing while he's pursuing his PQS.

46Driver

You've got two separate ways to go in the reserves: a regular drilling unit (the one weekend a month - although that can be flexible) and joining the Individual Ready Reserve and pick up assignements as they become available. I actually do both: I belong to a drilling unit at NAS Whiting but they cut me loose for up to 179 days at a time to take active duty assignments. Several things you need:
websites: start looking at the nine different commands (www.eucom.mil www.pacom.mil www.southcom.mil etc and look for the Navy reserves at each. Likewise, you can also go the Navy components of the command (say 6th Fleet for the Med) and look at the Navy Reserve sight there. Call people at the commands and ask around for the Navy Reserve representative.

The big thing is your clearance. Make sure you have at least a Secret - and a TS/SCI is worth its weight in gold - it really opens up a lot more billets.

If you have any other questions, PM me. The Reserves are a fantastic deal once you learn the ropes.

Finally, as soon as you become an O-4 select, start applying for the NWC reserve offic courses. Due to Goldwater-Nichols, they are due to become mandatory in a few years.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
saltpeter,
Your recruiter maybe cluless, but on this he is pretty much on target. It is not unusual, especially in aviation, for a O-3/O4 to be in a billet normally below his paygrade on active duty. This is in part because we have virtually no O-1s and O-2s in the reserves. All URL officers are prior service vets getting out as O-3s and O-4s. All jobs still have to be filled though. A guy new to the reserves will get a job like you were offered and will make up for it with several collateral duties. In short order you will break out and either be tapped for a more appropriate job or will find one on your own. I started as a senior O-3 as the Squadron Maint. Admin. guy. I had no problem making squadron department head or O-4 and later was the N3 for a reserve unit augmenting a four star staff. He is also correct that you can be assigned a job in Norfolk and not have to drill there but maybe AT annually. As I recall this is called cross assigned out. The only problem is you really don't do your job or support the gaining command frequently. If there are no good jobs for you locally, this is your only option, unless you want to commute. Commuting is almost required these days to make rank and get visability. It is a shame, but it becomes a money game. Balance your drill pay against the cost of travel and desire to promote. If they are good orders and your city is well serviced by the airlines to the location of the job, it may be worth it. I commuted to the west coast and London for a total of 11 years. It is also true the reserves are very flexible, so don't feel like you are making a life long decision. I haven't played the billet game for a few years so am not aware of a public list of billets available for junior officers. I am pretty sure your recruiter would show you his list of opennings. Reserve recruiters get no points or credit based on where you go. He will give you the best deal he has as long as you communicate your desires. Remember, ther are no detailers (mixed blessing) in the reserves. You make your own career choices based on the research and networking you do.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
46 driver slipped in his post as I wrote mine. Like I said, you must research this yourself and he has provided good insight. Remember, there is monthly drilling in an assigned selres unit, AT in support of that units gaining command, AT to further your training and then ADT and other active duty options from one week to several months for fun, career growth, and profit. 46 driver makes good use of all these options. They are not mutually exclusive, but may be.

saltpeter

Thanks to you both for your prompt responses. Another question that just sprung into my head is that I heard through the grapevine that you can take online courses that count towards your yearly points goal? These are not college credit courses, but instead are used by the navy to teach reserve members about different jobs in the reserves?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, there is a wide selection of courses available about numerous subjects, not just reserve orientation. To complete them for credit can be very time consuming, though the online variety is probably eaiser then the old corespondence courses. It can be a good way to earn enough points for a sat year when your civilian job takes you out of the picture for awhile. The reserves have really been pushing non-traditional ways of drilling. You can telecommute to many selres jobs now, or flex drill. Flex drill is drilling for several days in a row to get 2, 3, or 4 months of drills out of the way all at once. You can truely be creative about how you meet your drill obligation as long as you can justify it with superior training opportunities or valuable support to the gaining command.

Status
Not open for further replies.