• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Assigned Pilot After Nuke Interview?

BearDown18

Does anyone have information about NROTC midshipman who have been up-screened for the submarine community, then gone through the nuke interview and ended up getting Pilot as there service assignment? I have another year until service assignment with a 3.62 in Systems Engineering and I've been told I'm basically guaranteed a nuke interview. My ASTB score is currently 7-6-7 after my first try.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Did you actually go to your interview and have the Admiral say "congrats, you're a nuke"?
If yes: you're a nuke, service assignment doesn't apply to you.
If no: not a nuke, but that can be fixed. Poseidon will get his due.

If you have an interview before your SA is decided and pass, SA won't apply. After SA, if you don't have a nuke designator, you'd only go if Poesidon was still hungry.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I know plenty of mids that were leaned on to go to a nuke interview, and leaned on hard to go nuke. There were a couple that folded, and a couple that stood their ground and said they had no interest in going nuke. Those ones that stood their ground all got the pilot slot they wanted. In the end, the nuke is a voluntary program from what I understand.

BearDown18

I know plenty of mids that were leaned on to go to a nuke interview, and leaned on hard to go nuke. There were a couple that folded, and a couple that stood their ground and said they had no interest in going nuke. Those ones that stood their ground all got the pilot slot they wanted. In the end, the nuke is a voluntary program from what I understand.
Was this recently? The demand for nukes is always growing from what I hear. I've been told if you meet the requirements an application gets put in to get an interview no matter what. If you get up-screened, you go to the interview. Then if you pass, you're automatically a nuke.

Last edited:

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
If you get selected for 1160N or 1170, you can decline and go 1160. There is no other place to go from your selected designator than to 1160. If you get 1390 and your CO really really wants you to get a nuke interview, you don't have to.

BearDown18

If you get selected for 1160N or 1170, you can decline and go 1160. There is no other place to go from your selected designator than to 1160. If you get 1390 and your CO really really wants you to get a nuke interview, you don't have to.
I thought the interview comes before selection? And that if you fail you either get SWO or pilot (assuming it was your first choice) if you're lucky

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Was this recently? The demand for nukes is always growing from what I hear. I've been told if you meet the requirements an application gets put in to get an interview no matter what. If you get up-screened, you go to the interview. Then if you pass, you're automatically a nuke.

Well, unless they've gone from Rickover's standard that it's all volunteer then it should still be the same. However, no it was not recently.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I thought the interview comes before selection? And that if you fail you either get SWO or pilot (assuming it was your first choice) if you're lucky
Are you in NROTC? Can't you ask your service assignment officer these things? I used to be one, but the rules are always subject to change.

BearDown18

Are you in NROTC? Can't you ask your service assignment officer these things? I used to be one, but the rules are always subject to change.
Yes I'm in NROTC but I mostly wanted to see if anyone had personally gone through the interview and then ended up getting assigned pilot. Im just looking for advice if I end up in that situation.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yes I'm in NROTC but I mostly wanted to see if anyone had personally gone through the interview and then ended up getting assigned pilot. Im just looking for advice if I end up in that situation.

Beans just gave you the answer. Ask your advisor/LT to give you the most up to date and relevant facts.