• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Serious trouble at af acad. H1n1

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
It's not really a big deal anymore. The headline should read "67 Air Force Academy Cadets have the Flu." No one cares about that. My sister got the dreaded swine flu a couple weeks ago (and she is jewish which is really confusing). She spent a night at the hospital only because she also has asthma which the flu aggravated. But she was fine in a couple days.

What was worrisome originally was that the strain in mexico was killing normal healthy people. However, since it has left mexico that has not been the case. It has spread pretty quickly which has been alarming, but the overall deadliness of it is no worse than the regular flu.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
It's not really a big deal anymore. The headline should read "67 Air Force Academy Cadets have the Flu." No one cares about that. My sister got the dreaded swine flu a couple weeks ago (and she is jewish which is really confusing). She spent a night at the hospital only because she also has asthma which the flu aggravated. But she was fine in a couple days.

What was worrisome originally was that the strain in mexico was killing normal healthy people. However, since it has left mexico that has not been the case. It has spread pretty quickly which has been alarming, but the overall deadliness of it is no worse than the regular flu.

You realize it's not caught by eating pork, right?

JimD

Soon to be AMDO
LOL yeah my wife and I saw on the local news how the swine flu was impacting the pork industry and how grocery stores were struggling with not being able to sell any pork products. Long story short, we ate delicious pork chops and stretched our food budget to the max. Thank you ignorance!

SkywardET

Contrarian
Cool, maybe there will be a military-wide forced immunization. Wait, that's not cool...

The fright is what is frightening. The vaccine for some past "Epidemics!!!" actually killed more people than the virus they were combating. I'll worry more about it when it starts to kill a lot more people. Sucks for the Air Force Academy, though.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I just got tested for the piglet flu this morning. That test sucks. They stick a long flexible swab up your nose and down into the back of your throat---twice. Would not recommend it, unless you were that kid who liked to stick shit up his nose.

Bevo16

pilot
Cool, maybe there will be a military-wide forced immunization. Wait, that's not cool....

There already is. It's called a "flu shot". Problem is that there are hundreds of types, subtypes, and strains of flu, and the shot that you get every year immunizes your for 2-3 of those viruses. The CDC picks what they think are going to be going around each year and they put those in the vaccine.

I have not gotten the Navy's flu shot in 6 years. I have not had the flu since I was in grade school. If you are not elderly or have other immune system issues there is really no need to get a flu shot. You just have to decide if you want to get sick with the side effects of the shot (or mist) or maybe get sick with the flu. Even if you get the shot, there is still a really good chance that you can get the flu.

IMHO, it is a waste of time and money. The folks at CDC have done a good job of marketing it though. Job security for them I guess.

The link

Bevo16

pilot
I say:

"I am not getting that shot, thank you."

and the corpsman says:

"Roger that sir."

At least that is the way it worked in the squadron when our "Baby Doc" was giving all of the shots. Now that I am on shore duty, they keep a list of who has had it and who has not. I finally got tired of them calling and saying that I had to get it, so I went in and told them that I was not going to get it. The HM2 IDC asked why, and I explained it to him. Then he got the instruction and we talked about the difference between "shall" and "should". It was not an argument really, just a talk.

I thought that I might have to give my reasons to a doctor, but he just decided to mark me off the list and sign my record as having gotten the shot. I'll probably do the same song and dance next year, but I don't care. I am not getting the fucking thing until I am in my late 50's or some other reason pops up.

If I deploy, I will probably not fight it because I understand the rational of getting everyone ready for anything. I would not want to infect my buddies just because I am stubborn. I will sit my happy ass at home until I am over the side effects though.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just got tested for the piglet flu this morning. That test sucks. They stick a long flexible swab up your nose and down into the back of your throat---twice. Would not recommend it, unless you were that kid who liked to stick shit up his nose.

I got tested for it a couple weeks ago too. Only when I had it done the corpsman didn't know what he was doing so he jabbed around my nasal cavity a couple times until he could figure out the correct angle to insert it. Oh so pleasant.

MrF

pilot
I say:

"I am not getting that shot, thank you."

and the corpsman says:

"Roger that sir."

At least that is the way it worked in the squadron when our "Baby Doc" was giving all of the shots. Now that I am on shore duty, they keep a list of who has had it and who has not. I finally got tired of them calling and saying that I had to get it, so I went in and told them that I was not going to get it. The HM2 IDC asked why, and I explained it to him. Then he got the instruction and we talked about the difference between "shall" and "should". It was not an argument really, just a talk.

I thought that I might have to give my reasons to a doctor, but he just decided to mark me off the list and sign my record as having gotten the shot. I'll probably do the same song and dance next year, but I don't care. I am not getting the fucking thing until I am in my late 50's or some other reason pops up.

If I deploy, I will probably not fight it because I understand the rational of getting everyone ready for anything. I would not want to infect my buddies just because I am stubborn. I will sit my happy ass at home until I am over the side effects though.

That's some decent gouge. Thanks!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You realize that you are an idiot, right?

I keed, it's called sarcasm, google it when you get a chance.

Hey man, I was actually being genuine in trying to inform you. Like a previous poster mentioned lots of people really thought eating pork can lead to getting it...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I appreciate the info as well Bevo....I too was under the impression that the command sweeps were mando.