• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sequestration Impact on the Navy

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
FWIW since I hit the fleet 10 months ago, I have flown my face off, every week, and my check-in date was the day folks came back from post-cruise leave (to give you an idea of where we were in the cycle). Multiple non-workup dets, and generally flying 3-4+ times a week, if not 2-a-days to support the schedule when others went on leave. I can't imagine the training being any more robust than it already is. Point being that it isn't so bad right now. My west coast bros have probably flown twice as much considering that they are on deployment more often than I eat dinner.

Apparently it's community and squadron dependent. We have way too many pilots, not enough aircraft, and the ones we have are broken. MULTIPLE months <10hrs, and sometimes I've gone a week or multiple weeks without breaking deck.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You're manned for a mission that doesn't exist anymore. Takes time to change ROC/POE, and skippers/commodores don't have a lot of incentive to get ahead of the problem.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I'm blown away with how little we get for our defense dollars. The budget is bigger than it ever has been, yet we supposedly can't afford to cut a dime without massive personnel and OPTAR cuts.

We spend more on defense that the next twenty nations combined. Somehow I don't think we could take on all nineteen.

Yes however the definition of "defense" and what gets thrown into that budget that shouldn't be there is amazing.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You're manned for a mission that doesn't exist anymore. Takes time to change ROC/POE, and skippers/commodores don't have a lot of incentive to get ahead of the problem.

^^Absolutely right! And we like other squadrons have had dets and missions removed from our hands while kicking and screaming. The NAAD was a BIG mission and with that gone we (but even moreso with 21) have to justify why the hell we EXIST, not to mention being one of the largest helo squadrons. Things don't look good with huge numbers and diminishing missions and needs.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Like what? Not arguing, just curious what it is you are talking about specifically.

This is an interesting breakdown - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0oGwBw&usg=AFQjCNGzUw0o1vOSPK-pdwiaYPC7bus4Ng Alas it doesn't include real details of the "Defense Related Activities" that much of this falls under. As an example, the FBI gets $4.6 Billion of the DoD budget every year.

It's simply not easy to think about the defense budget and relate it to what we see in the fleet and I'm certainly not saying that the "Defense Related Activities" money is not well spent but it's a significant chunk of money that, just like core DoD, needs to get looked at. My role these days is deeply buried in the MIP budget and I know there's lots of efficiencies to be gained there.

One of the core problems is the budget is decided not by the people best positioned to determine what affects national security but by the people in the legislature who determine it by what it takes to get the voters to relect them.

BigRed389

None
Cutting and reforming are one in the same at this point.

The key words in your argument are "perceived" and "future." The reality is that we are not at war with any blue water Navy, and the sheer size of our fleet dwarfs the next 13 nation combined. I don't know what capability gap that flag/general officers think things like vertical takeoff capability from the JSF or low-def TV from hot photonics masts will close, but that is not the reality of our defense situation.

I can't fault the top brass, though. Their job is to get Congress to fund as much as possible. It's just that the guys writing the check aren't paying with their own funds.

My biggest issue with the General's statement, though, was that you can't instantly make up for thousands of hours of lost training.

Cool, but you're coming across as contributing nothing but potshots at high level theater/strategic decisions with the benefit of hindsight. How do you propose we do it better?

And I would bet history bears out we can ramp up training faster than some of the specialized defense industries. China still doesn't build its own high performance jet engines. If you want to burn down the industrial expertise, you better be ready to get out of that game for good.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's not forget to account for the stewardship role the government provides to maintain the potential capacity of the military-industrial complex. This is done deliberately to preserve more ship-building facilities, aircraft production and other technologies at a level greater than the current demand so that it's there if we need it. There are a lot of perceived inefficiencies in the system and buying of things we may not necessarily need, that are done in the name of industrial infrastructure and capacity maintenance.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
So you guys have just now caught up to HSL circa 1997. And still don't have torps.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, it's sounding like everyone is becoming HS.... to bad that community was sacrificed to the HSL/HC gods....