• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sequestration and you...

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of sequestration does anyone have any gouge on if/how much it will affect flying in the VTs?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of sequestration does anyone have any gouge on if/how much it will affect flying in the VTs?

The number the USAF has thrown around is an overall reduction in flight time of about 18% across the entire service, deployed folks included. That doesn't help answer your question but it gives you an idea of what sort of numbers folks are looking at. I think that is a worst case scenario though, big DoD is looking at furloughing civilians to save money (forcing them to take unpaid leave) so that military ops are less affected.

A lot of 'bright ideas' but I don't think anyone will now for sure until the cuts actually come, if they do.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Have you heard of this pesky little idea of sequestration? For the sake of your log books, you'd either be deep into work ups or deployed.

It will be interesting to see the effects. I know when I showed up a year ago, they had just gotten off cruise, and we kept hearing that flight hrs were going to shut down (like some of our sister squadrons) once Q1 was over. That came and went, and we have kept the pace ever since, minus some of the night burn X's. To be honest, the amount of hours haven't noticeably gone up since we started workups last fall either IMO. But sequestration will surely be a different ballgame coming from a much higher level.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Saw this today . . . . . . . . although nothing mentioned about TRACOM production numbers . . .

Attachments

• Navy%20CR_SEQ%20Navy%20Fiscal%20Actions%20130125%20-%201105A-1.pdf
    309.9 KB · Views: 124

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It will be interesting to see the effects. I know when I showed up a year ago, they had just gotten off cruise, and we kept hearing that flight hrs were going to shut down (like some of our sister squadrons) once Q1 was over. That came and went, and we have kept the pace ever since, minus some of the night burn X's. To be honest, the amount of hours haven't noticeably gone up since we started workups last fall either IMO. But sequestration will surely be a different ballgame coming from a much higher level.

In the last week, I think I've been forwarded emails written by no less than 3 Admirals and maybe even a Secretary. For now, training (both accession and fleet) is considered "Mission Essential." I was expecting to lose some of the pots of other money I have access to, but even those are continuing for the moment. TADs to conferences are going away, but otherwise, game on.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw this today . . . . . . . . although nothing mentioned about TRACOM production numbers . . .

Interesting what they consider tier A and B, such as cancelling Blue Angel airshows and Fleet Week participation are not the first things to go, yet 3/4th quarter aircraft maintenance is. And for my clarification, what do they mean by such cancellation? I and D level stuff?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Thread Split? "Sequestration and You...."

Apparently training = mission essential does not apply to our Sailors. In order to get TAD money to send a young AME2 to follow on career school, I now must submit justification paperwork THROUGH air wing to CNAF. These schools lead to additional or subsequent NECs that are generally required (or seen as very enhancing) for promotion to First.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Interesting what they consider tier A and B, such as cancelling Blue Angel airshows and Fleet Week participation are not the first things to go, yet 3/4th quarter aircraft maintenance is. And for my clarification, what do they mean by such cancellation? I and D level stuff?

I think you may see anything that is largely a civilian operation (think NASNI Depot) affected first.

MasterBates

Thread Split? "Sequestration and You...."

Apparently training = mission essential does not apply to our Sailors. In order to get TAD money to send a young AME2 to follow on career school, I now must submit justification paperwork THROUGH air wing to CNAF. These schools lead to additional or subsequent NECs that are generally required (or seen as very enhancing) for promotion to First.

This is clearly a failing of proactive, intrusive small unit leadership on your part, for failing to foresee this before you got to your squadron, and not calling ahead to have them CAP'd to second so you could send them the schools before the current crisis.

Duh.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

MasterBates

How bad are the restrictions now? I've been involved with it in the past, mostly seen used for sailors who are in locked down rates and need to make the next gate or GTFO.

Which of course, makes it that much harder for anyone else in that rate make it without getting CAP'd.

I was discussing the promotion system for Enlisted with my boss (Ex Army Infantry Officer) and it sounds like theirs is far less centralized, and not as MOS-centric at least up to the E-5/6 level.

phrogpilot73

And seqeuestration all depends on who funds the billet... I work for EWTGLANT (as a government civilian), which is a Navy command that falls under CSFTL. We've gotten a lot of guidance emails from CSFTL as well as the head shed from EWTGLANT which seemed like I'm mere days from being laid off, but then I recently got an email from the CG of training command (the guy who pays the tab for my job) saying that other elements of the Marine Corps are going to cough up money to keep me on the job... It's murky at best at this point in time...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone heard anything on PCS moves? I'm due for one this summer, and it needs to be done by a deadline to meet retirement TOS requirements.

I know the Navy has put holds on PCS moves in the past; I haven't heard of the Marines ever doing it, though.