• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sept. 30 - NO MORE NAC WINGINGS AT FRS

Pegasus

I am curious to know why the navy decided to no longer allow AW's to pin on their wings after completion of their FRS.

No maintenance qualifications. You'll appreciate this when your brothers are out on the line getting their PC qual and your out mastering your trade/at the beach.

It's also another way to weed out the turds.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think GOLD should always be worn on TOP!
That's the wing you're sporting on your nametag anyway, not the EAWS!

So do most people, but since NAC was not a warfare qual they couldn't wear it on top.

East

东部
Contributor
So do most people, but since NAC was not a warfare qual they couldn't wear it on top.

I know that some (very senior) SCPO and MCPO's extended/delayed their EAWS qual so that the NAC wings where their only ones to wear....on top!
Other ones just didn't bother and didn't sport the EAWS at all...:D

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
I know at AWSTS (The MH-53E FRAC/FRS) that this was discussed prior to my departure their in early 2008. I was told though by the majority of the senior guys (nearing retiring status) that they didn't earn their wings until they got to their units (HM-14, HM-15, HM-16, HM-18, HC-2 (when they had CH-53E's) and HC-4.

I must agree with all that this makes sense. While I don't want to sound unkind about some of my fellow aircrewman, that 6 month Utility crewman qual and 18 month first crew qual got busted regularly. I am not one to speak, I was on shore duty when it was discovered that the instruction stated that I should have been 1st crew qualed. This is going to be unpopular, but they "good ole boy" club was iuin full force when decided who would go up for 1st crew, and they were not reading the instructions either.
I'm sure I let the cat out in my prior community, but that also illustrates to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
^^^Thats the way it was in my squadron....The senior aircrew guy (a chief) upgraded the good ole boy (3rd class) to crew chief right after his crew chief syllabus was pencil whipped.

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
I was flying when they changed it to winging in the FRS. Met a lot of resistance with fleet guys.

Graduating the pipeline shows that a person has the ability to do basic Aircrew Skill Sets. It is not a measure of complete comprehension or ability, more a measure of aptitude. Getting to the fleet, succeeding in your job on a daily basis, having the drive to complete the PQS, and proving yourself to your TEAM...that's the time to be winged.

Take more pride in the change back to the old system.

One last thing. Every HS/HSC squadron has Search and Rescue Medical Technicians that are qualified and completed FRS. The uniform instruction specifically states 8401's as being authorized to wear the NAC badge as their primary warefare device as well.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was flying when they changed it to winging in the FRS. Met a lot of resistance with fleet guys...Graduating the pipeline shows that a person has the ability to do basic Aircrew Skill Sets. It is not a measure of complete comprehension or ability, more a measure of aptitude. Getting to the fleet, succeeding in your job on a daily basis, having the drive to complete the PQS, and proving yourself to your TEAM...that's the time to be winged...

Well, hang on a sec. No one thinks that a newly-winged Pilot or NFO has any kind of comprehension or knowledge of anything beyond the basic common skill sets (i.e., with the exception of P-3 and E-2 FO's, who get winged at the RAG, none of them have so much as sat in their Fleet aircraft). So why does it make sense to wing them when they complete their TRACOM training, but AC wings are different?

I say this coming from a community that didn't have NAC's or AW's; neither do I say that the "new/old" way is wrong. I'm just saying that because you used to do something one way when you were a pup, doesn't mean that that's the best way or the "way it should be".

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Well, hang on a sec. No one thinks that a newly-winged Pilot or NFO has any kind of comprehension or knowledge of anything beyond the basic common skill sets (i.e., with the exception of P-3 and E-2 FO's, who get winged at the RAG, none of them have so much as sat in their Fleet aircraft). So why does it make sense to wing them when they complete their TRACOM training, but AC wings are different?

To further the O - E Class Divide? ;)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

I say this coming from a community that didn't have NAC's or AW's; neither do I say that the "new/old" way is wrong. I'm just saying that because you used to do something one way when you were a pup, doesn't mean that that's the best way or the "way it should be".

Eh...I think what Doc's trying to say is that kids don't really have to prove anything except aptitude to make it out of the RAG. They don't really possess any certain skill set or mission knowledge. As far as pilots go, I would argue that you all supposedly share a very certain skill set when you graduate flight school, you are all certified pilots no matter what the platform. Not only have you proven your aptitude, but have learned how to fly. The RAG for pilots doesn't teach them how to fly, it teaches them how to fly a new airplane better than they flew the last..not the same as AC (who have no aircraft experience before the RAG).

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got a T2C who is un-winged on deployment with me now. It's not a big detractor. Prior to deployment he became "positionally qualified" and can fill the slot without being winged. He's a great aircrewman and works very hard and has learned his profession on the job. When I put the wings on his chest next week, he'll know that he earned them & knows how to do his job well. Before the change, winged aircrew came from the FRS with wings, but no real idea on how to do their job. I see this as putting the cart right behind the horse.