• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sept 2019 IWC DCO Board

sub7hax0r

Hi all! I'm working with my recruiter to prepare my package for the upcoming IWC DCO board. I was initially interested in the 1815 designator. However, after doing a lot of research I feel like I would be happy with anything within IWC as a Reserve. Posting my stats to see what you all think. Between CWO, CWE, and IP where do you all think I would best fall under? I know it's super competitive and I might have to try a few times. Thanks in advance for your feedback/comments!

Occupation: CISO for a global company and adjunct faculty for a college.
Education: Masters in Computer Security, GPA 3.0
Industry Certs: A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCDA, CPT, CEH, CISSP, Okta Certified Administrator, Okta Certified Professional
Work Experience: 16 years of formal experience. 6 years as a blackhat before joining law enforcement in cyber. No prior experience in the military.
Volunteer Work: Volunteered during Hurrican Katrina, volunteer club officer for a professional organization in cybersecurity, mentor underserved high school kids preparing them for a future in cyber, volunteer with L.A. service works.

I love doing CTF challenges. I go to Defcon every year and compete (ranked 22nd last year). I prefer Bsides over BlackHat and RSA. I'm into threat hunting/intelligence and breaking things. Even though I love being hands-on I'm also happy not being hands on. I'm just happy to be a part of a community and doing what I can to contribute and learn.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
The Reserve does not have 184X Cyber Warfare Engineer.

IMHO, while you would be an excellent candidate for 1825/IP, from the DCO application perspective, you will be bored out of your mind, honestly.

If I were in your shoes I would go 1815 Cryptologic Warfare. You will be doing and working with much cooler stuff and have the potential to do other cool things that 1825/IP and 1835/INTEL don't get to do just by virtue of their designator.

AMGunner

Your background is not far off from my own. In general, IP has a focus on COMMO & infrastructure...CW runs adversary OPS over that infrastructure ( it wouldn't shock me if there was a IWC restructuring at some point)My goal was to just get in the game and focus on both long term career aspects coupled with strategic unit selection in regards to being exposed to interesting missions. I ended up going IP. Shoot for what your best positioned for, get in the game then figure out what plays to call.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Your background is not far off from my own. In general, IP has a focus on COMMO & infrastructure...CW runs adversary OPS over that infrastructure ( it wouldn't shock me if there was a IWC restructuring at some point)My goal was to just get in the game and focus on both long term career aspects coupled with strategic unit selection in regards to being exposed to interesting missions. I ended up going IP. Shoot for what your best positioned for, get in the game then figure out what plays to call.
What he said... Apply for the designator that your recruiter tells you that you are most qualified for and have the best chances at getting selected.

If you have specific IP community questions, PM me.

sub7hax0r

Thanks @bubblehead @Hair Warrior and @AMGunner for your suggestions! Spoke to my recruiter who's pretty cool and chill...really chill....I asked him what his recommendations were and he said it's not about what he wants it's about what I wanted lol. He put me down for 1815. If I understood correctly I believe he said interviews are in July and final selection board is in August. Crossing fingers!

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
You (all prospective applicants) must ace your interviews. Your package is unlikely to even be submitted to the board otherwise.

The interviews are 'variations on a theme'. Essentially, they are five standard questions, with some light situational on the side.

If you struggle with public speaking, or thinking on the fly, work on it, or keep to working your day job.

The panel interviews are very subjective. Each member is looking for something particular in their future officers and their questions reflect that. Be able to shoot from the hip, know your "why", and physical appearance is important. good luck.

graham

I was an 1810 for 11 years and now I'm a Navy civilian working for 1820s. With your resume, stay civilian. Neither 1815 or 1825 will let you close to technology, especially as a Reservist. If you still insist, go 1815 so you can get your foot in the door at NSA. (then go work for BAH and become the next Snowden. :)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I was an 1810 for 11 years and now I'm a Navy civilian working for 1820s. With your resume, stay civilian. Neither 1815 or 1825 will let you close to technology, especially as a Reservist. If you still insist, go 1815 so you can get your foot in the door at NSA. (then go work for BAH and become the next Snowden. :)
No Reserve designator is going to let you get close to anything technology at Ft Meade. Bunch of f*cking "protect my sandbox" weirdos up there. I am an 1825 and spent a few years at the Fort as a Reservist and it was a huge waste of my time. Also spent time up there on orders during ORT and others as a private sector incident response SME but, alas, I was a LT at the time and was told to shut up and color. Was pretty funny watching the govt civilians and active duty folks getting flamed by the Admiral.