• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Separation anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderwoman

no pity

I pity women like you who have no idea what you're getting into.

Don't pity me my friend..im just looking for information so WE can make a well informed decision.
What the hell is wrong with asking questions? Any why the mocking? Does everyone on here just look for quotes to knock people down..

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
Ahem.. well there goes that whole respect and not making waves thing. Additionally, if you search around on the numerous other threads similiar to this one (keyword: deployments) you will notice that they (naval officers and their spouses) took it pretty easy on you for asking an often discussed topic, and a whole lot of good advice was offered your way!

$ .02

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I was actually referring to this quote from the "Navy OCS" forum:

wonderwoman said:
so...you telling me that he will be gone a lot? i thougt it depends on which program u get accepted for..? any insights?

Which is pretty much the same question you asked in this thread:

My husband is thinking of applying for SWO as one of this three choices...but my concern is that he would be gone all the time. I understand many Special Warfare Officiers end up on ships...anyone have any insight? What about Iintell? Are they gone much?

I didn't mean to be "fisty," but you are asking a question which is A) covered in 9 million threads on this forum and B) was answered in a prior thread and C) has a pretty obvious answer if it wasn't answered before: yes, your husband will be deployed 'a lot.' I was told to expect a 6 month deployment once every 18 months as either sub or SWO, but the 12 months "off" consist of workups and short sea times. And the 6 month deployment (or any, for that matter) can be extended depending on the situation in the world at the time, which is why no one can tell you an exact amount of time he will be gone. Such is the way of life in the military. The CDR (subs) at the interviews had done 4 6-month deployments in his ~15-20 year career, but that would also include at least one tour on boomers because sub officers have to work on both platforms. Boomers are apparently are the most schedule-friendly platforms there are for unrestricted line officers -- they go out for 3 months, come back, switch to a new crew, come back and undergo maintenance, repeat.

I also got the impression from the SWO that the Navy likes SWOs and SWO/N to qualify on multiple types of ships as well (the latter also has to do the "/N" part), and deployment schedule will vary with the ship's schedule, which will also vary depending upon the needs of our defense.

As far as short notice: while I haven't even been through OCS yet, I can tell you that I have yet to have advanced warning for anything. I got my orders to report to the interview 1 week prior. I got my orders to do the PRT 1 week prior. I found out that I got to go to the VIP trip to Georgia (required for my application) 2 days prior. I was told to go to MEPS 2 days prior. It was pretty frustrating, considering the time before just consisted of waiting around waiting for the answer. Luckily, I had a job that didn't fire me for taking so many days off with short notice.

For me, I'm not signing up so that I can sit on US mainland soil for 5 years and do nothing. But I also have the luxury of not having a wife and children, so the random schedule doesn't matter to me so much. There's nothing wrong with being concerned about how to cope with that sort of lifestyle (hell, I worry about how it would work out if I met a good woman myself), but it seems like you are surprised by the fact that your husband is going to be deployed for long periods of time. I would think this is something you two would've discussed before he visited the recruiter and put in his application.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
Don't pity me my friend..im just looking for information so WE can make a well informed decision.
What the hell is wrong with asking questions? Any why the mocking? Does everyone on here just look for quotes to knock people down..

Wow... calm down. They are merely trying to give you sound advice. It may seem harsh, but take a step back and try to realize that they've seen it all before and they speak from many different experiences.

I have already suggested, and will suggest once again, the Private Spouses Corner to you. You can ask these questions (without what you call mocking) in there. There are plenty of wonderful women, and some men, in there that are plenty willing to give you honest answers regarding your questions.

To be honest, I am surprised you haven't gotten more ridicule from the guys than what you have. Join the PSC and you'll get answers more softly put. If you ask them in the open forum, you're going to get harsher answers... though many of them are probably true.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Now that the issues of deployments has been covered in this and your other thread (yes, he will deploy and yes, he will be gone a lot on deployments and other "trips"), is there anything else you want to know about?

And I will second (third?) the suggestion of the Spouses' Corner.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't see this going anywhere productive.

If someone could let wonderwoman in the Spouse's Corner, that would be great.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't see this going anywhere productive.

If someone could let wonderwoman in the Spouse's Corner, that would be great.

She has to request it for us to put her in the PSC. There is a sticky at the top of the spouses' corner forum with all instructions. If she puts in a request, we'll be more than happy to accomodate her.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the interest of saving bandwidth... she's been added. Spouses unite...and do your spousal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.