• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Separation anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
As I said in your other thread, he will be gone. A lot. No matter what job he ends up with. And the only way that you both won't be miserable is if you learn to be very self-sufficent and accepting.

It's not just that he will be gone. He will be gone on short notice. Dates and times will change and that vacation that you planned and dropped big $$$$ on will suddenly not happen because his dates shifted. You will lose so much control over your life and your comings and goings. This has been the hardest part for me--the loss of control over normal things in our lives. A lot of wives get upset with their husbands at this, but in reality, it is something he will have no control over and blaming him will only make you both miserable. That is a lesson you will need to learn quickly if you want to have any chance.

DH's longest deployment thus far has been 9 months. And we had less than 24 hours of notice before he left. To be fair, we knew a deployment was coming soon, but I got a call saying, "I am going to be home very late tonight. Please start packing my sea bag as I am leaving very early in the morning."

It was painful. We had no idea when he was coming back so I couldn't even count down. He left not knowing where he was going or when he would return. It sucked. This will be your life, in some form or another.

Even on his "shore tour", he was done for two 6 week stretches (IIRC) and several 1-2 week stretches.

You will be uprooted from friends and family, potentially every couple of years. You will have to find a new job and meet new people and set up new social networks, only to face the possibility of doing it all over again in a couple years.

You will have Christmases alone with your kids and away from family, possibly even in a foreign country. If you have more kids, you may give birth the them without your husband.

You will go for days without so much as an email. You will be scared and worried. You will go for months without sex.

You will learn to fix a broken toilet at 2 am with a bent wire coat hanger (been there, done that). You will learn to change your own car battery, and how to jerryrig (how the heck do you spell that??) it with stacks of washers when it doesn't fit properly (again...been there, done that.) You will learn to rely on no one but yourself to get by, and you can either be bitter about that, or proud of your self-sufficiency.

I don't mean to paint an overly dreary picture. But I feel like sometimes people like to paint an overly rosy picture of it and to romanticize the life, and that does no one any good. Yes, there are great things about the Navy. DH loves his job and we are both very proud of what he does. Some of the people you meet will be beyond wonderful (and it will break your heart when they move away). The pay is decent and the job security and benefits are second to none. And his ass looks phenomenal in a flight suit. But I want to be very straight-forward about what will come because it seems like you don't really have a clear picture of this. You will be a single mom for months at a time, and you will likely do it while not even living close to family who can help.

It is possible to have a very fulfilling life as a Navy spouse. But you need to be prepared to spend time alone, and, even when he is "home" to come in second to the Navy much of the time. This doesn’t mean that you have to be a good little wifey who sits around and waits for him to have time for you, but it does mean you need to be able to take care of those kids on your own when necessary, to entertain (in several senses of the word) yourself happily, and to be independent. And he needs to be okay with you becoming independent and having your own activities and your own circle of friends.

It sounds like you and your DH need to sit down and have a serious talk about what is to come and to make sure you are both on the same page. The life isn't for everyone. There is no shame in deciding this life isn't for you, but you best do it soon if you are going to do it at all.

Nikki2184

Take it easy on the girl! Look, I'm a Navy wife of an enlisted guy. Have been for almost 5 years now. And, yes, it's hard. Yes, the Navy is a life-style. But, it is not the end of the world.
How long he will be away really depends on his job. But, regardless of his job, he will have to take a sea or overseas tour every 7 years or so if he is going to be career. The bottom line is you have to be prepared for a role of the dice. You never know how long he will be gone for, where he will be, or when you will be able to talk to him. More over, you will more than likely have to up-root your kids every 3-4 years for a new duty station.
This may all sound horrible, especially for a new mom, but it really isn't as scary as it sounds. You just have to go into it with your eyes open. If your husband WANTS to be in the Navy above all else, than you need to support him. Navy wives must be strong and independent.
It is a hard life, but you are part of a great community and will receive more support than you can imagine. Ideally, the Navy can make you a stronger person and give you a stronger marriage as well.

Reactions: Jen

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I know all communties are different, but I think he will be taking sea duty orders more than every 7 years. In DH's community, you do a couple years sea duty, then about 2-3 years shore duty, then typically 2 years on a boat in a non-flying billet (though there are a few other options but nearly all are sea duty), then another 2 (I think; we aren't there yet) years of sea duty. So after flight school and the rest of the training (FRS), you do about 6 of 9 years on sea duty in his community. And instead of every 3-4 years for a new duty station, in my experience it is likely to be more like every 2-3 years that you get new orders, though if you are fortunate, you might get back to back orders in the same place.

Also, to a certain extent, I do have to disagree that if her husband wants to do this and it's his dream, then she should just sign off without really thinking long and hard about the implications for herself. Maybe her dream is to have a normal life and settle in one place, living next door to her parents in a big happyextended family unit. I'm not sure what the answer is in that situation, but I do know that if she thinks now that she can't handle all the crap that comes with the Navy (and that's why I laid it all out there for her to see), then just going along wth it only postpones the pain of it all and does no one any good. If it isn't going to work for her, she still has a chance to speak up now, whereas if she just keeps quiet so as not to make waves, then they will find themselves in a situation where he's committed for 4 or 8 years, and she can not tolerate the lifestyle. Crossing your fingers and hoping for the best is never a great life plan.

I firmly believe that the chief reason more Navy than civilian marriages fail is that people have no idea what they are in for, or they aren't honest with themselves and their partners about their misgivings. Maybe it is a lifestyle she can adapt to. But it sounds like right now, she doesn't know enough about the life to make that educated decision. Whether or not he will deploy and how long those deployments can last is a pretty basic issue.

I do believe tha Navy wives must be strong and independent, but part of that means speaking up during this decision phase and hashing it out while it is still an option, rather than a mandate. I don't think a strong, independent woman blindly goes along with her husband's dream if she knows it won't work for her. If he feels compelled to do this and she takes a hard look at the life and thinks she can't do it, I don't know what the right answer is, but I do know that talking about it now and trying to find a compromise would be the only hope they have of not being miserable and resentful of each other. It will be a lousy conversation, to be sure, but it is always better to have the hard conversation before the paperwork is signed, rather than after. Any decent husband is going to be glad if she speaks up now, rather than being pissed off every time he gets home at 2 am from a flight or works on Saturday and Sunday, or gets news of another deployment. I look at is sort of like voting. If you don't vote, you don't get to bitch about politics. And if you don't express your thoughts on being a Navy spouse, you don't get to be pissed off and bitter if/when you hate it.

For the OP, I hope you continue to do reasearch and ask questions about the lifestyle so you can have a better feel for what you will be in for, and I hope you and your husband are able to come to an agreement about whether it is right for you both.

-----

One last thing in an already long post: before you all think I hate my life, I'm actually very happy. I think my personality is well-suited for Navy-wifedom. I pride myself on self-sufficiency and I love my alone time. I am by no means miserable and if he had the choice, I wouldn't encourage DH to get out. So you can be very satisfied with your life despite all issues that come with the Navy. But not everyone can be happy in a Navy marriage and I get really frustrated when I hear of people who go in to it with a lot of (usually unspoken) misgivings, just hoping it will work out for them because they love their husband/wife, so everything else will surely magically work itself out (*fingers crossed*). Would that life was like that, but it isn't. Everyone should make the most honest and educated decisions possible, and then the hoping and finger crossing can kick in.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No matter how much you try to plan upfront, there's no telling what may happen once your significant other is in uniform. If he pick's up an IA, and that could be in any of choices he is considering, he'll be gone, period. The country is engaged in combat/GWOT actions all over the globe so that is driving where people go and for how long. You're not the first family to have to deal with separation and certainly won't be the last. You can survive it and be stronger because of it, but your fretting about it could make it even harder for both of you. AW has a Spouse's Corner to help you find others who are facing or have faced separation issues.

LoneSailor

For what it's worth, wonderwoman, it's certainly ok to have mix feelings about your husband joining the Navy. This is perfectly normal, I think just about every wife that has a husband joining (or thinking of joining) the service goes through these types of feelings. Realize that it's not just your husband joining the Navy, it's the whole family. And the Navy knows this, and that's why (in my honest opinion) the Navy's got one of the best programs that keeps the families involved and informed with what's going on with the service member during his/her deployment. It's called the Ombudsman program.

If it makes it any easier, there will be other mothers/daughters/sons that will be in the same position as you when your husband goes on deployment. Deployment involves the whole family -- and I'm sure you will meet/befriend other military wives who will help you and be your support system when your husband (and theirs) are deployed.

Like I said, it's perfectly normal to have these mix feelings, and I'm glad that you are supporting your husband with his decision. That is definitely very admirable.

Good luck.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
SWO's are gone more than aviators because of the little overnight/weekly stints they do. Bottom line, quality of life as an aviator is better than life as a SWO. Within the aviation community, certain airframes will be gone more often than others. The Navy tries to stay away from deployments that exceed 6 months due to the retention repercussions and stress on the ship.

Fred

Research, research, research, and make a list of the pros and the cons. It's a life altering decision, and I think you both need to be on the same page.

I don't think it's nearly as doom and gloom as some. I've yet to see any studies that show more Navy than civilian marriages end in divorce. Perhaps it's just my husband's community, but we know very few couples who have divorced over the years. (speaking only on the officer side)

There were years my husband was gone 10mo of the year for 3 years straight. Other times, he was home the vast majority of the time. In almost a 23 year career (we've been married over 20yrs) he's done a total of seven deployments, and will leaving on his 8th in a few weeks. Only two were longer than 6mo, and only once did we have only 96hrs notice. (normally it was several months). In all those years, he's only missed one Christmas, which was just luck of the draw. He did miss the birth of our daughter, and left for 7mo when our youngest was a few days old. While it wasn't the most opportune timing, it wasn't the end of the world either. We all came through with flying colors.

Good luck on your decision.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Remember FLYTPAY, some of the aviators are along for "those little stints" more often than not.
True....the helo bubbas that support the small boys are in on that. Then you have the Andros Island dets. Bottom line, fixed wing carrier aircraft, deploy the least. E-6's have a crazy schedule. P-3's do too.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
well arent you a fisty one...and for the record..i never ask the same question twice.

Perhaps you meant "fiesty"?

Regardless, Spekkio is likely referring to this question in another thread:

wonderwoman said:
so... you telling me that he will be gone a lot? i thougt it depends on which program u get accepted for..? any insights?

which is very similar to this one:

My husband is thinking of applying for SWO as one of this three choices...but my concern is that he would be gone all the time. I understand many Special Warfare Officiers end up on ships...anyone have any insight? What about Iintell? Are they gone much?

Status
Not open for further replies.