• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Senior in college interested in Navy

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
Last question, what kind of airplanes did ya'll build for your design projects? Were making an "Advanced Medium Range Transport" and right now it really sucks, but next semester we get to build flying models so hopefully that will be more fun.

We just did a design build test.

Indoor model aircraft
fits on a table
can fly within the outline of a football field
has 10 minutes of endurance
stylish (i.e. nothing box-y)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Hello, I'm also a senior in college and was thinking of applying to become a SNA / SNFO. However, I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to apply until I graduated...

After reading a few of Wink's posts on this thread and some others ("When to Apply") I am beginning to see this is not the case. I was planning on talking to a recruiter this week to talk about taking the ASTB.

Should I also go ahead and start a full application? Or if there are so few seats, should I wait for my GPA to go up again in my final semester and apply with the '08 quotas? Also, although this could be a repeat of some question somewhere, when do you actually take the PRTs? Right now I'm only at about 50 sit-ups / push-ups, although my cardio is pretty good.

Err...oh yeah, obviously important stats:
GPA: 3.0
major: physics

I like to sell that in physics and math my GPA is about 3.9 or so, although I don't know if that would work on a SNA / SNFO app.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Aircraft Design project was a group effort. I was in charge of group morale, welfare and recreation :D .

Who paid for drinks? My design group keeps wanting to go out to the bars, and I have to begrudgingly remind them that I have 2.5 more months until I'm 21..:icon_rage

Anyhoo. I would say, APPLY TO BOTH. See what happens. Why close the door on anything? You always want as many options as possible.

We're the ever-cooler space people, so we're designing a mission to Titan as a follow-up to Cassini-Huygens:D

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
What's the hypothetical payload?

pretty much pre-defined payloads from a variety of previous missions. 6 Total sensors for atmospheric and surface science phases. The main reason we chose this mission was the innovative mission concept. We are designing an aerial vehicle to operate in Titan's atmosphere for 3 months, then land and take surface science until EOL. Pretty interesting, but as you can imagine, with a semester we are only doing barebones design concepts.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Should I also go ahead and start a full application? Or if there are so few seats, should I wait for my GPA to go up again in my final semester and apply with the '08 quotas?
Err...oh yeah, obviously important stats:
GPA: 3.0
major: physics

I like to sell that in physics and math my GPA is about 3.9 or so, although I don't know if that would work on a SNA / SNFO app.

No use trying to game the system. If the program is open and your recruiter says you are competitive, apply.

socaldude

Wink:

You say there are 30 pilot slots left through '07. Do you know how this number breaks down in terms of specific pipelines?

Thanks very much

MasterBates

Pilot slots are to start flight school. There are no BDCP jet slots or helo slots.

Pipeline needs change weekly. Good performance combined with luck/timing is the key. You can control half of that, so do it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pilot slots are to start flight school. There are no BDCP jet slots or helo slots.

Pipeline needs change weekly. Good performance combined with luck/timing is the key. You can control half of that, so do it.

Absolutely true. In any case, reference my previous post. You can not game the system. Just apply. Apply as soon as you are competitive. And when you get to OCS, and more importantly flight school, bust your butt and you are guaranteed the best chance at what you want. May actually get it, may not. Lets get real here. The Navy is going to guarantee you a training quota to fly for the world's best air force, millions of dollars in training, and still, you want more data, more guarantees.