• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sending the Old Man Home: Jimmy Buffett dies at 76

taxi1

pilot
I was on the USS America during work ups when he rode out in the back of an F14 flown by Admiral Red Best, and came aboard. He did a concert in the hangar bay with the Admiral playing harmonica. I always remember that at the end he said he was going to play “A Pirate Looks at 40” but then decided to play “Fins”. I wondered which one he wanted to play.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Jimmy Buffett, musical ‘mayor of Margaritaville,’ dies at 76

Jimmy always had a special place in his heart for flying in general and Naval Aviation in particular. Not least, he credited having to ride the Dunker so he could take a good-deal F-14 ride during a USO tour with enabling him to survive crashing his Widgeon a few years later.

Jimmy Buffett and aviation
Sad news. Buffett is just perfect for the lifestyle along the Gulf Coast and beautiful Pensacola. For me, I’m going with “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes” as his best song.

I’m doing some painting in the basement today and usually put on a live concert such as AC DC “Live at River Plate”.
Anyone got recommendations for a particular Buffett concert?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m doing some painting in the basement today and usually put on a live concert such as AC DC “Live at River Plate”.
Anyone got recommendations for a particular Buffett concert?
Jimmy Buffett - You Had To Be There - Recorded Live at The Fox Theatre, Atlanta, Ga (1978)

His first live album and hard to beat, when he was still fresh off Duval St

My favorite song of his, though, and the reason for the thread title is one of the less-famous ones. Sending the Old Man Home, about the end of the war in the Pacific, and a great song about feeling bittersweet when something ends

They're sending the old man home
Back where the buffalo roam
Out in Pacific they say he was the best
Now he's in his "civies" headin' home like all the rest

He'll never forget Rosa Lee
Or sleepless nights he fought upon the sea
He'll only have the memories
Or great books by James Jones
`Cause they're sending the old man home

Far away
Far away
Another life so very far away

They'll tear down the officers clubs
And write off the overdue subs
So let's drink to their memories
Our heroes and our pals
To those crazy Navy flyers
To those swell Hawaiian gals

The sailors will dance in the street
Then they'll mothball the whole damn fleet
We'll only have the picture books
Of land and sea and foam

`Cause they're sending the old man home

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dammit. Was first introduced to Jimmy's music in the 90s when my dad and I went on a High Adventure trip to the Keys with my Scout troop. It was a fun thing for the family to share over the years. Was hoping to go see him live some day just to see the whole crazy cheeseball experience once. Such is life, I guess. :(
My favorite song of his, though, and the reason for the thread title is one of the less-famous ones. Sending the Old Man Home, about the end of the war in the Pacific, and a great song about feeling bittersweet when something ends
He may have made his empire on the "island music" schtick and had a few clunkers as he got older. But especially in the early part of his career, the times when he dropped the cheesiness and wrote heartfelt ballads like He Went to Paris and When The Coast is Clear are arguably his best work.

Through 86 years of perpetual motion, if he likes you he'll smile and he'll say
"Jimmy, some of it's magic and some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way."

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Jimmy Buffett - You Had To Be There - Recorded Live at The Fox Theatre, Atlanta, Ga (1978)

His first live album and hard to beat, when he was still fresh off Duval St

Thanks for the recommendation. Funny hearing his recommendation to go see the movie “Animal House” - can’t believe that movie is 45 years old.

On a somber note, it is being reported that Buffett died of skin cancer. As someone who sees the dermatologist at least 3 times a year - I recommend seeing a dermatologist in addition to your regular doctor- you want to catch any anomalies as soon as possible.

kejo

pilot
If I’m being honest, I never really cared for his music, but he’s one of the few artists whose music I didn’t like but still greatly respected. He found his thing and became the master. All around Pensacola today the Parrotheads are out in full force…Jimmy’s gone but he very much lives on in these warm Flordia breezes and ice cold beverages.

GroundPounder

On a somber note, it is being reported that Buffett died of skin cancer. As someone who sees the dermatologist at least 3 times a year - I recommend seeing a dermatologist in addition to your regular doctor- you want to catch any anomalies as soon as possible.
Best advice you will get: go to the dermatologist. They are hard to get an appointment, and you will have to wait, but go.

Skin Cancer ( Merkel Cell ) killed my dad, and my wife has Stage IV melanoma. Trust me, you don't want to play with this brand of cancer.

By going regularly to a dermatologist, you may save your life.

Rant over, soap box stowed.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the more impressive things about Jimmy Buffett to me is that apparently everyone who ever met him, or worked with or for him, absolutely adored the guy. Which is pretty remarkable for a self-made man who was worth somewhere north of $550 million…typically dudes like that don’t tend to die with a lot of friends.

Not to mention all the tributes and reminisces since he died to the effect of, he really was like that, the happy, fun-loving beach bum thing wasn’t a schtick.

Sad to see him go, but to exit the stage happily married, professionally successful, universally loved, and richer than sin…we should all be so lucky.1693751000305.jpeg