• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So what's the answer to both issues?

the EPA in the 1970s was pretty successful.

I grew up next to Onondaga Lake, and Allied chemical completely fucked the entire ecosystem of that place up. Should we go back to that? I kind of like the idea of having safe and clean places to swim, and sail, and windsurf.

The smog over LA and Phoenix is pretty bad. Do we let that become a normal thing over every big city?
CO2 isn’t pollution like the 1970’s EPA targeted. Completely different issue, and I’m onboard with limiting real pollution.

SELRES_AMDO

Some have more complex motives but a lot are probably just parroting something from a PowerPoint slide like “climate change is threatening our national security”
Are you really claiming the state department and other significant gov't agencies are just parroting from a PowerPoint slide?

nodropinufaka

Some have more complex motives but a lot are probably just parroting something from a PowerPoint slide like “climate change is threatening our national security”
Are you really implying diplomatically accredited FSOs from DOS and USAID as well as the SDO/DATT are just parroting something from slides???

how exactly do you think national security and national interests are advanced?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Are you really implying diplomatically accredited FSOs from DOS and USAID as well as the SDO/DATT are just parroting something from slides???

how exactly do you think national security and national interests are advanced?
Can they do a better job explaining how climate change is threatening our national security than the crap you trotted out?

nodropinufaka

Can they do a better job explaining how climate change is threatening our national security than the crap you trotted out?
I wouldn’t call it crap.

But what exactly is the issue. We said multiple times.

climate change is allowing China to gain influence. How much more evidence does their need to be?

I’d share the dos stuff with you since I have it but def not sharing it on a public forum.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I wouldn’t call it crap.

The perception of reactions to climate change is allowing China to gain influence in certain geographic spheres. How much more evidence does their need to be?

I’d share the dos stuff with you since I have it but def not sharing it on a public forum.

Fixed it for you.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I wouldn’t call it crap.

climate change is allowing China to gain influence. How much more evidence does their need to be?

We’ve been through this. The largest carbon emitter on the planet and growing isn’t winning influence because of climate change. Either they’re playing the game better than our state department or their rapid growth and economic influence is the issue. By the way, building more windmills here won’t slow them down.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Nice fix.

I would argue we change one more thing too "certain geographic spheres" to "the most important to national security"

Disagree.

NORTHCOM is most important (as well as the historical units). Everything else is secondary. If your home is in shambles it doesn't matter what your neighbor is doing, much less the guy on the other side of town.

nodropinufaka

Disagree.

NORTHCOM is most important (as well as the historical units). Everything else is secondary. If your home is in shambles it doesn't matter what your neighbor is doing, much less the guy on the other side of town.

Well I won't disagree with domestic policy being the most important

But from a security cooperation standpoint I think INDOPACOM edges NORTHCOM.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
This is absolutely not about "leadership" on climate change. It is clearly not about who has done the most in reducing CO2. The whole PIN cozying up to the CHYCAPs thing is all about MONEY, dough, moola, Benjamin's, scratch, dinero. How much influence China has over PINs, and any other country, does not belong in any discussion of climate. China is building roads, hospitals, ports and stadiums all around the world. They are buying influence and it has noting to do with climate. As noted above, small island nations use it as an excuse to generate foreign aid and investment. If we dropped as much or more cash on these places they would be stroking Uncle Sam and the rest of the world would laud the return to US leadership on climate in the region.

China is also building coal plants all over the world, meanwhile, environmentalists here want us to forego our own abundant natural gas and oil and be completely reliant on our biggest geopolitical competitor for processed rare earth metals. What could possibly go wrong?

However, China is still increasing construction of coal-fired power plants. Analysis by U.S.-based Global Energy Monitor indicates that last year, China built more than triple the amount of new coal power capacity as the rest of the world combined.