• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sen. Schumer gas for electric car trade in program?

number9

Contributor
The issue with milage taxes is that the weight of the vehicle is much more of a contributor to road damage than total miles driven. So if you want milage taxes to pay for road upkeep, they should be proportional to vehicle weight. But that'll never happen...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
First we had to worry about people stealing gas, now we have to worry about this
Same game, same criminals who are cutting catalytic converters out of cars/trucks. The scrap dealers who are paying are equally culpable. Its epidemic, especially in Calif where these folks rarely get charged above misdemenor level, when they inevitably get caught,

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The issue with milage taxes is that the weight of the vehicle is much more of a contributor to road damage than total miles driven. So if you want milage taxes to pay for road upkeep, they should be proportional to vehicle weight. But that'll never happen...
I don't know why. The government knows what your vehicle weights out the show room door. It isn't going to change much in normal residential use.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But does this chart take into account the coming rise in electricity prices? There is a link between natural gas prices and retail/wholesale electric prices. With the price of natural gas rising, it's about 5x what it was this same period last year, electric prices will be going up. US electric generation is almost 40% natural gas fueled.
Speaking of electricity rates, the market in retail electricity is a regulated monopoly in most places (I know TX is not). Today, you can shop for your gasoline fill up, and the price can vary with market conditions, up as well as down. Your electricity fill up will be set by the regulator and will not change with market forces at the pace gasoline does. Think how often your state regulator allows the power company to change rates. Now, I suppose you could be stuck with a rate lower than market for a time, but I find it hard to believe that in the long run the benefit favors the consumer. If the consumer can not put pressure on the supplier by buying elsewhere or curtailing use then they have no control over the market.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The government knows what your vehicle weights out the show room door.
You'd think that, but my recent experience importing a vehicle to the great state of Hawaii says different. I had to take my stock vehicle to the official county scale to be weighed before I could register it.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Speaking of electricity rates, the market in retail electricity is a regulated monopoly in most places (I know TX is not). Today, you can shop for your gasoline fill up, and the price can vary with market conditions, up as well as down. Your electricity fill up will be set by the regulator and will not change with market forces at the pace gasoline does. Think how often your state regulator allows the power company to change rates. Now, I suppose you could be stuck with a rate lower than market for a time, but I find it hard to believe that in the long run the benefit favors the consumer. If the consumer can not put pressure on the supplier by buying elsewhere or curtailing use then they have no control over the market.
Correct, even in those states that are deregulated and have a choice program, retail prices aren’t that different. You may get a teaser rate that saves you a few cents, but those expire and often times their rates are higher then the utility. This is especially true when it comes to natural gas.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd think that, but my recent experience importing a vehicle to the great state of Hawaii says different. I had to take my stock vehicle to the official county scale to be weighed before I could register it.
Wow. Sounds like a make work program to me. The weight of every vehicle can be obtained on the web. But setting up a data base employs one intern for a set period of time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. Sounds like a make work program to me. The weight of every vehicle can be obtained on the web. But setting up a data base employs one intern for a set period of time.

With all the modifications some Jeep owners do to their vehicles there is certainly a bit of a difference between the manufactured weight and the actual weight for many of them.

1661955523339.png

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With all the modifications some Jeep owners do to their vehicles there is certainly a bit of a difference between the manufactured weight and the actual weight for many of them.
??
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand!
That’s not a Jeep thing; that’s an abomination.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
90% of the world’s Jeep-haters probably also have at least one of these: own a cat, eat tofu, have an article of clothing with another country’s flag on it, have a Beatles song on one of their playlists, make guests take off their shoes in their house, or drive a Subaru.

Last edited: