• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SELRES transfer to IRR once on RMP list

mwilkeni

Does anyone out there have any experience transfering to the IRR once identified on the RMP list?

I know a lot of VT folks got hit this year.

Thanks

dustydog

pilot
Need a few more details, i.e. are you currently on it or are you expecting to be on it FY13. Are you currently in a billet on someones RUAD or are you IAP? Full disclosure, I work at RESFOR but not in N3.
I promise not tell them who you are.;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had a pilot in my unit who went on the RMP list and he decided to say "no thanks." I'm not sure what actual paperwork he filled out, but I doubt it wasn't much, as he basically said screw it and stopped showing up after letting us know (not that I blame him and there was no hard feelings). Once he did that, he was pretty much done unless he wants to do NKO courses for the rest of his "time" to earn points.

As Dustydog is alluding to, if you're trying to game the system and don't want to get jammed with it ahead of time, you can "quit" before the list comes out and it doesn't count against you. Obviously the more senior you are, the harder it will be to come back in. I have another pilot that's weighing that dilemma now.

I'm curious how IAP fits into this, just for my own education.

dustydog

pilot
PM sent.

Gator: There are some implications with being IAP and being on the RMP. I'm not an expert but I know the guys who are; therefore, I'm going to ask Monday and I'll post any pertinent information that might be helpful. As you can imagine, this comes up a lot.

Yup, I did it. I actually got mobilized, but had a torn ACL so I couldn't go. It was a good wake up call for me, so I moved to the IRR (as a LCDR). I got points through correspondence courses--you have to slog through them, but I actually found it much nicer than heading to the drill site once a month. I eventually got into funeral honors (which pays, which is nice), and became a Blue & Gold Officer for the USNA (which doesn't pay, but is pretty flexible).

The problem you'll run into is when it comes to promotion time. I'm sure with no fitreps as an O-4, I'll be top of the pack. If you want or need to get promoted to get your 20 years in, I would hide out in the IRR for a year or so, but then go into the Voluntary Training Unit. Unless there's a nuclear war, you won't get mobilized in the VTU, and you'll get fitreps and will be more competitive at the board.

BTW, in my many, many calls to BUPERS, they almost always told me in some way that "the days of hiding out in the IRR and getting your 20 are over...what is it, can't you make body fat, or run?"

Good luck, and post or PM if you have any other questions.

I should clarify a bit--I got the impression they publish the RMP list specifically to give people the chance to say "no mas". Transferring to the IRR was super easy. One form (I forget which one now). If you can get a physical right before you leave, you might still be able to do some ADT. Make sure you get copies of your medical paperwork, fitreps, etc. In my experience, the NOSC sends that stuff off immediately, then it's impossible to get a hold of!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I should clarify a bit--I got the impression they publish the RMP list specifically to give people the chance to say "no mas". Transferring to the IRR was super easy. One form (I forget which one now). If you can get a physical right before you leave, you might still be able to do some ADT. Make sure you get copies of your medical paperwork, fitreps, etc. In my experience, the NOSC sends that stuff off immediately, then it's impossible to get a hold of!

But why would I spend my limited and valuable ADT on you just right before you "quit" to the IRR when I can spend that money on someone who will produce for my unit in the long run, instead?

Whoops, I'm thinking operationally, which as I'm continually reminded, is not how Reserve Manning works.

Gatordev, in my example, I've already "quit" to the IRR. Still though, I think you're probably right. You are sort of a pariah in the IRR. You can get orders as a recorder to a promotion/apply board. That's about the only example I know of, although anything is theoretically possible.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I gotcha. I didn't realize you could still get orders from the IRR.

My fault--I wasn't clear. You need to have a current physical (w/in five years, I think), and the gaining command has to write a letter to BUPERS detailing why they should spend money on an otherwise worthless IRR member. I probably oversold the possibility of ADT. It's not easy to get, just not impossible.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone out there have any experience transfering to the IRR once identified on the RMP list?

I know a lot of VT folks got hit this year.

Thanks

If you are on the RMP and then transfer to the IRR you will get an adverse FITREP and will not be allowed back into the SELRES, there is even specific verbiage put in the departing FITREP to that effect.

Everyone who is in the reserves nowadays knows what is required, why join if you quit when you are called to do your duty? "If you take the King's shilling, you do the King's bidding."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you are on the RMP and then transfer to the IRR you will get an adverse FITREP and will not be allowed back into the SELRES, there is even specific verbiage put in the departing FITREP to that effect.

Everyone who is in the reserves nowadays knows what is required, why join if you quit when you are called to do your duty? "If you take the King's shilling, you do the King's bidding."

I can't remember if you were in on the discussion, but I think it was Wink and I talking about this a few years ago in another thread... Because not all SELRES are in it for doing their duty. In fact, I'd argue many (but certainly not all) are not, but that's based off of my anecdotal snapshot.

Also, does the instruction say the FITREP has to be adverse? I don't recall that (but it may say it). That said, that doesn't mean the CO actually writes it that way.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't remember if you were in on the discussion, but I think it was Wink and I talking about this a few years ago in another thread... Because not all SELRES are in it for doing their duty. In fact, I'd argue many (but certainly not all) are not, but that's based off of my anecdotal snapshot.

Also, does the instruction say the FITREP has to be adverse? I don't recall that (but it may say it). That said, that doesn't mean the CO actually writes it that way.

I don't remember the discussion but I know that is true and see it with some in my unit and even when I was deployed. It is the same with some active duty folks, it doesn't mean I like it though! Giving them a 'kiss of death' out the door is fully justified and the right way to send folks who do that on their way in my opinion, "fool me once.....".

The instruction/direction was very explicit with the exact verbiage required to be put in the notes section of the FITREP, not sure if it made the FITREP technically adverse but with the notes stuff required I can't see how it would be read otherwise. I don't know what checks they have to make sure the FITREP were done as ordered but it was very explicit and I saw no wiggle room to do them otherwise. For most reserve units I am not even sure they would have the task of writing it, a NOSC might for most except the hardware and other 'real' reserve units.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The instruction/direction was very explicit with the exact verbiage required to be put in the notes section of the FITREP, not sure if it made the FITREP technically adverse but with the notes stuff required I can't see how it would be read otherwise. I don't know what checks they have to make sure the FITREP were done as ordered but it was very explicit and I saw no wiggle room to do them otherwise. For most reserve units I am not even sure they would have the task of writing it, a NOSC might for most except the hardware and other 'real' reserve units.

I don't have the instruction in front of me, but I believe it just says it has to be spelled out in the comments section. While absolutely correct that you "shall" put those comments in there, I made my comment based on how would anyone actually enforce it. I mean that from a "shall not use a cell phone in flight"/"everyone uses a cell phone in flight" perspective.

I'm speaking from a hardware/"real" perspective. The NOSC is just that place that doesn't answer my emails or constantly sends me hit lists.

FYI, I met somebody this past week that was put on the RMP list on Thursday, and went IRR the following Monday with no adverse remarks on fitrep. I believe those who say it's explicit in the instructions, but it doesn't seem like it's followed. That said, the IRR is not going to do your career any favors...