• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SELRES to AD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

garrubal

Hello everyone. I realize that I really don't belong to this forum, but here is my question:

I'm on active duty right now. I failed of select to LCDR this year. Next year I will be above zone, and there is a good chance I won't be selected for LCDR. After that, I will be required to leave active duty within 7 months of my notification of twice FOS. I plan on being part of SELRES. From what I understand, I will be elegible for promotion in the reserves. Assuming that I get promoted in the reserves to LCDR, is it possible to request to return to active duty after my promotion (whether in my current designator or in another one)?

Thanks in advance

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry this is so late, but in light of recent developments (over 300 junior officers being let go) I am compelled to chime in.

My buddy was an O4 doctor who failed to select, and was forced to leave the Navy in early 2001. He did so, got a whomping severance check, and upon joining the reserves, pinned on O5. Fast forward 3 years later, he finds he still misses being a sailor. Conveniently enough, he has some "special" qualifications which the military needs in the current operational settting - he was a dive doc with the SEALs, has all kinds of crazy chest candy, etc. Hence, he expects to put on his (bad) khaki suit any day now.

Long story made longer - check out your AQDs and what designators "they" really want/need. You'd be surprised.. If I was a random O who wanted to be retained or return to active duty some day, I'd start looking at language classes and such... You could use your severance pay, and the new transition-to-civillian life program (they pay for school and training. It's called Next Step or something) to get you there.

Just some random thoughts...

Ruck on --- Rugger

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am now the XO at a Reserve Center and have learned quite a bit about what the reserves do. It's pretty surprising the number of opportunities that are available. I agree with what Rugger put out. We get information through message traffic about all kinds of opportunities for SELRES (now called DRILRES...Drilling Reserve) to go back on active duty for 1, 2, or 3 years, depending on your background, qualifications (inside and outside of the navy), and total time of active duty service you have at that point. This is what we call being volunteeringly recalled (to active duty). Typically, about once a week a message will come in that outlines volunteer recall opportunities. However, you need to stay in constant contact with your reserve unit and reserve center that you drill out of. Like Rugger said, find out what the Navy needs.

"support to the fleet...ready, and fully integrated."

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More info found here.

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/genadmin/genadmin.html

Status
Not open for further replies.