• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SelRes Flying on DIFDEN?

tbat15

Has anyone seen it been done? I know there are DIFDEN waivers out there but could you be assigned to a non-flying billet such as at a NOSC and still fly elsewhere?

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Yes. We called them Associate Professors in the HT's. We had an O-5 who was attached to a unit on NAS Pensacola and would come up and fly with us at HT-8 SAU. I'm not sure how that all went down or if that arrangement is unique to CNATRA Sel Res...hardware units may be less inclined to play nice. For a starting point you could contact TRAWING Five Reserves:

http://www.cnatra.navy.mil/tw5/tw5rc/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One difference is he's a Marine. On the Navy side, you would need to be in DIFOPS orders in order to fly. I guess the question is how often do the Marines grant the waiver. You'd also have to get the blessing of the unit, as well. I'd probably start with the unit first (Since you're in CA, I'm guessing a SAU, correct?) and see if they're even interested and then they could endorse you. From there, submit the waiver.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd say it depends on the unit, their front office, their mission, your quals and currency, etc. If the skipper/OIC is game and you don't need a lot of support from them to get ready to fly (e.g., a RAG refresher), and your orders aren't specifically DIFDEN, then I don't see why not.

tbat15

Thanks for the replies. I was in the Marines but actually a Navy reserve guy now trying to figure out the blue side.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I was in the Marines but actually a Navy reserve guy now trying to figure out the blue side.

Ah, okay, then you need to be on DIFOPS orders. Unless there's some drug deal made, the host unit's NATOPS office probably isn't going to budge on that. If it's a SAU, that would be the FRS' NATOPS office. If it's a hardware unit, then they'd have their own Safety/NATOPS, but I'm guessing even they would want you to be on DIFOPS, per instruction.