• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SELRES and general reserve opportunities

aukonak

Good morning.

I separated as a SNA LTJG back in August, DOR'd. I had been in touch with my CTO throughout the process, but decided to wait on making a decision on my Reserve status/choices until after things had stabilized and I'd found employment, so I went IRR.

Now that I'm all settled, I'm certain I still want to serve. My CTO had told me I was only eligible to apply for 1000 and 1050 billets, obviously due to my previous designator and the fact that I didn't finish training. The opportunities I was applicable for on JO Apply seemed extremely limited.

Ideally, I'd have found a way to go AD again, obviously doing something other than flying, but general consensus is that this is all but impossible nowadays, that IRR --> Active doesn't happen very often.

So that leaves me with options for Guard/Reserve. My questions:

- If I apply for a SELRES billet am I forever pigeonholed into 1000/1050, or is there a way to redesignate?
- Do any of you have advice for someone hoping to get some AD time in the reserves, with the "fire in their belly?" in general?

Thanks in advance.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
- If I apply for a SELRES billet am I forever pigeonholed into 1000/1050, or is there a way to redesignate?
- Do any of you have advice for someone hoping to get some AD time in the reserves, with the "fire in their belly?" in general?

Thanks in advance.

You can always apply to redesignate once "in" (ie, not on IRR), but it's a matter of whether they're accepting anyone. As for getting AD time, you can always volunteer for a MOB. There are a lot of 10xx MOBs, but your rank may be an issue initially. There also is no longer a Ready Mobilization Pool, so the Reserves are going to want volunteers.

As far as how to learn about MOBs...that might be tricky since you're IRR. You can register to get notifications, but you'll need a CAC to get to the Private Navy Reserve site. I think you should be able to visit a NOSC near you and they could probably get you signed up to receive the emails. Someone else here may have another way to get them.

aukonak

You can always apply to redesignate once "in" (ie, not on IRR), but it's a matter of whether they're accepting anyone. As for getting AD time, you can always volunteer for a MOB. There are a lot of 10xx MOBs, but your rank may be an issue initially. There also is no longer a Ready Mobilization Pool, so the Reserves are going to want volunteers.

As far as how to learn about MOBs...that might be tricky since you're IRR. You can register to get notifications, but you'll need a CAC to get to the Private Navy Reserve site. I think you should be able to visit a NOSC near you and they could probably get you signed up to receive the emails. Someone else here may have another way to get them.

Thanks for the info Gatordev. I'll take your advice and visit a NOSC to see if I can at least get an idea of the kind of MOBs I'd be eligible for if I go SELRES.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe this is for Gaterdev, but I am wondering how the OP got a 1000/1050 designator. Does every DOR/attrite get a general URL designator now? For as long as I can remember aviation attrites or DORs were 1300 by, I guess, having qualified for aviation and completing API. At least one of my buddies was separated in a RIF out of primary back in the 80s. He was a 1305. Had a fantastic reserve career including CV augment units, Tacron (worked for me), and ANGLICO. Commanded an ANGLICO unit. Deployed to first Gulf War, Kosovo, OEF and OIF (twice). All but one were in aviation billets.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not savvy on the designator change. Now that you mention it, the couple of attrites I knew when I was a student were 1300/GenAv. Maybe it's different now. I'm not certain, but I don't think the Reserve side has anything to do with it. Maybe Jim knows since he's closer to the spigot.

I think this is where you sign up to get notifications of all the MOB opportunities:
https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USNRFC/subscribers/new

I figured someone would have a better way. I only knew how to get there through the CAC site.

I'm not savvy on the designator change. Now that you mention it, the couple of attrites I knew when I was a student were 1300/GenAv. Maybe it's different now. I'm not certain, but I don't think the Reserve side has anything to do with it. .

Head to the BUPERs site (the public one) and click around reserve personnel management, and they'll have some info on changing designators. There's also the sub-forum on here.

A lot, or maybe "many" is a better word, of the reserve billets are 1XXX, so you'll be eligible for them without a designator change. I say go for it! Many look fun, plus you're keeping a guy like me from getting involuntarily MOB'd! You'll probably have to be an O-3 (at least) for those, but I don't imagine that's too far off for you, is it?

aukonak

Maybe this is for Gaterdev, but I am wondering how the OP got a 1000/1050 designator. Does every DOR/attrite get a general URL designator now? For as long as I can remember aviation attrites or DORs were 1300 by, I guess, having qualified for aviation and completing API. At least one of my buddies was separated in a RIF out of primary back in the 80s. He was a 1305. Had a fantastic reserve career including CV augment units, Tacron (worked for me), and ANGLICO. Commanded an ANGLICO unit. Deployed to first Gulf War, Kosovo, OEF and OIF (twice). All but one were in aviation billets.

I'll try and get more information on this, because I had heard the same from others.

I think this is where you sign up to get notifications of all the MOB opportunities:
https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USNRFC/subscribers/new

It's pretty interesting to see what's out there. I haven't done it personally, but it seems like you can basically make the reserves a pretty cool career, jumping from MOB to MOB. Good luck!

Lots of great info vxc961, thanks! Encouraging too, I was hoping I could find find a way to serve/stay Navy without being too limited by my post-separation designator.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, you need to go SELRES and redesignate if you want to find some meaningful work in the USNR. Just judging from the GovDelivery emails I get, there seem to be a lot of Intel mob opportunities out there.

aukonak

Dragging up my old thread folks...

Following up on the 1305 question- this is actually my reserve designator. The 1000/1050 referenced to billets that my CTO told me that I was eligible to apply for coming from the 1305 designator. That being said, I've been on the MOB email list for the last year and haven't seen any 13xx opportunities pop up, just 1xxx/105x and 131x/132x. I have not looked at JO Apply in the last year to see if there are specific 1305 billets to apply for.

In the last year I've spent getting my shit in order since getting out (those who are curious can reference my story about DORing here), I've become determined to make something happen and continue to serve. I just haven't figured out how yet. On the civ side, I've gotten fairly far in the FBI and Diplomatic Security Special Agent hiring processes, but didn't quite make it. Still open to other opportunities.

I'm 30, and it looks like my window's closing to pursue the options as a guy looking to get his adrenaline fix. I'd love to have a chance to fly again. I'm trying to balance factors like how exciting the designator looks and opportunities to mobilize, with others such has how much it may directly complement my civilian career. Also interested in maximizing the ADT/ADSW opportunities I'd have. I'm talking to recruiters from ARNG, ANG, AF Reserve, and working on getting in touch with USNR.

ARNG - I've got a contact in officer accessions for their state who's a former aviator that's said it's entirely possible (no immediate disqualifiers) to go into Army Aviation. Recruiters have tried to get me on time-in-grade/time-in-service with no branch qualification as a violation of Army policy making going into the Guard at my previous rank a non-starter, but have since disproved this based on my own research. If not aviation, I'm interested in Intel or even something combat arms, but that's not a discussion for here. Also considering going Warrant if that makes the whole flying thing possible. The same contact I mentioned has taken former SNA washouts in the past. Anyways the hard part is getting a unit to want to deal with the hassle involved with my paperwork.

ANG- Confirmed through a couple of sources that I could theoretically fly again, but would be starting UPT from scratch (understandable). Most I've talked to have said they only hire pilots from within, and challenge is same as with ARNG. And I'd need an age waiver.

AF Reserve - haven't talked about flying with them, but they're willing to submit an app for me for Intel.

USNR- I initially ruled this out because most of the billets I saw on JO apply and most of the MOB opportunities I saw didn't really appeal to me. I figured if I wanted to do anything high-speed ever, I'd need to redesignate or just go with Army/AF. I don't think I've ever been fully informed about the NR opportunities, because it's ridiculously hard to find authoritative info. Obviously this would be the easiest to facilitate since I'm still IRR. I have a million questions still though, some of which a recruiter will likely help answer. Questions such as:
  • How hard is it to redesignate as a 1305 in practice? I'm assuming I would get trained/qualified/pinned if I successfully redesignated?
  • With a 1305 designator, what kind of URL opportunities are there in the reserves that someone in this position would get versus a guy off the street who has to go RL/Staff/etc?
  • How difficult is it to come by ADT/ADSW?
  • There's very little information anywhere about Active Duty Reserve Officer Recall (MPN) anywhere, the first I'd heard about it was on these forums. How frequent/possible is this? It looks like permanent/indefinite recall is a way to go from reserves to active (XXX5-XXX0) again?
    • I believe I read somewhere that a voluntary recall in another community requires a redesignation/transfer request to that community, the active component. Has anyone ever done this?
I'm not stupid enough to get my hopes up thinking I could actually fly again with the Navy or be a SNFO, especially at my age, so I won't inquire about that. But I'm definitely interested in anything that's possible, no matter how improbable. If anyone has any input at all, I'd appreciate it. I've already poured my heart out on these forums a lot.

V/R

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The 1000/1050 referenced to billets that my CTO told me that I was eligible to apply for coming from the 1305 designator. That being said, I've been on the MOB email list for the last year and haven't seen any 13xx opportunities pop up, just 1xxx/105x and 131x/132x. I have not looked at JO Apply in the last year to see if there are specific 1305 billets to apply for.

One thing I learned about JOAPPLY is that it is all sorts of screwed up, I wasn't finding any jobs until I selected 10XX, 1050X, 13XX, 132X and even 131X all at once (it is an option). Suddenly there were a whole bunch of billets that were available. You also may have to expand your area search as well, there are something like 900 empty billets in Norfolk but few takers while in places like Atlanta, NYC and Houston there are way more people than billets. How do all those extra people drill? They sit in classrooms and do GMT, watch videos and do whatever sailors do to pass the time. As a drilling LTJG they pretty much have to pay you even if you aren't in a billet in most cases.

How hard is it to redesignate as a 1305 in practice? I'm assuming I would get trained/qualified/pinned if I successfully redesignated?

As a more junior guy it is a lot easier, I would start seeing what you want to and can apply for and go from there. Intel/IDC seems to always need folks in the reserves, there should be IDC folks you can talk to at every NOSC (the bigger the better though) that can help you with transitioning.

With a 1305 designator, what kind of URL opportunities are there in the reserves that someone in this position would get versus a guy off the street who has to go RL/Staff/etc?

I am in an aviation-centric unit right now and we have at least one 1305 and he does aviation related stuff, specifically airspace control stuff for exercises.
How difficult is it to come by ADT/ADSW?

It depends. I have seen two types, the ones that are set up for folks and the open ones that are just like regular job applications with resumes and interviews. A lot of it depends on your skills and background and with the number of ADSW's diminishing they are usually looking for folks with a particular set of skills acquired over a long career, so LTJG's aren't in high demand for those. MOB's are a little bit different but at such a junior rank you are likely going to be doing random officer job vs something interesting if one pops up.

aukonak

Thanks for the gouge, gentlemen. I'll add anything I learn to this thread to try to add some value for anyone else in the same boat.

aukonak

As a more junior guy it is a lot easier, I would start seeing what you want to and can apply for and go from there. Intel/IDC seems to always need folks in the reserves, there should be IDC folks you can talk to at every NOSC (the bigger the better though) that can help you with transitioning.

Flash, thanks again for your info. I understand that RL/staff corps' changes of designator are a thing, and assuming I'd get re-trained based on that. Do you know if it's possible to change one's designator to a warfare-qualified one, getting trained/qualified. Obviously in this case I'm not talking about aviation, but the possibility to change designation to SWO, SpecOps/EOD, Submarines, etc. I'm sure there's plenty of challenges here even if it is possible, but just curious.

At first look, I'd have assumed it's not possible, but I read somewhere that URL officers can u usually change to other URL designators, and a "change of designator" matrix I found makes it look like you can go IRR --> any of those I mentioned above, with the appropriate routing and approval.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash, thanks again for your info. I understand that RL/staff corps' changes of designator are a thing, and assuming I'd get re-trained based on that. Do you know if it's possible to change one's designator to a warfare-qualified one, getting trained/qualified. Obviously in this case I'm not talking about aviation, but the possibility to change designation to SWO, SpecOps/EOD, Submarines, etc. I'm sure there's plenty of challenges here even if it is possible, but just curious.

I have no idea if it is prohibited but I have never heard of it happening and the chance of it happening are pretty much nil if allowed. There is no benefit to sending a reservist to get qualified when we have a plethora of qualified URL's already, expecially when what you do as a reservist isn't usually operational at all with your URL. The Navy is different than the other services in that the reserve officer corps is almost entirely composed of prior active duty guys with only a few specialties that take direct reserve officer accessions. To be frank, most SELRES officer billets are just staff jobs that may or may not have something to do with your designator. My first two reserve units had nothing at all to do with aviation.

Intel is a little bit of a different animal in the reserves with some actual community management, though still minimal by active duty standards, and often jobs that are related to intel. You can still have a viable career as a 1305 but if you are looking at something more than random staff jobs for the rest of your SELRES career you may want to seriously look at switching to intel or IW. Another option to look at might be the Coast Guard, as a reservist you would be a 'general duties' officer with the opportunity to do a whole variety of things, at least that is how it was explained to me when I looked into it.

Last edited:

aukonak

Hey all-

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best ways to get vacancies from JO Apply when an IRR schmuck like me can't access it? I've been in touch with a local reserve officer recruiter, but correspondence is slow. If I was just looking for things local that'd be one thing, but I want to cast the net wide....interestingly enough I don't have any close enough SELRES acquaintances to ask them to look for me.