• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
While I support anyone's desire to purchase a firearm, consider the following:

Statistically, 90% of home burglaries occur while the occupant is not home, and most of the time the perp is unarmed. As others have said, you might want to look into the laws of your state and the repercussions of possibly shooting an unarmed intruder.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
With a pistol, any head-sized target within 25 yards is very dead.

Just saw this line too. I'll say that even without going shooting with you, I've shot with enough people in controlled conditions that I would have serious reservations about your or anyone's ability to shoot a target about 1 foot in diameter, within a short time of being awaken, behind a loved one, in partial darkness.

No offense, but if the perp has your family and is using them as a shield, I'm gonna say a wiser choice is to let the perp go.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
While I support anyone's desire to purchase a firearm, consider the following:

Statistically, 90% of home burglaries occur while the occupant is not home, and most of the time the perp is unarmed. As others have said, you might want to look into the laws of your state and the repercussions of possibly shooting an unarmed intruder.

Varies from state to state. For instance, my family home in Florida would be a poor choice for making a quick buck as forcible felonies are justified for use of deadly force. Note the statute makes no reference to "armed" robberies or burglaries:

776.08* Forcible felony.--"Forcible felony" means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

History.--s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 4, ch. 75-298; s. 289, ch. 79-400; s. 5, ch. 93-212; s. 10, ch. 95-195.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Along the same lines, you can use deadly force (in the appropriate situation) to prevent someone from illegally entering your residence in NC, but if they're already in your house, you must attempt to flee.

That sucks so much. . .

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Just saw this line too. I'll say that even without going shooting with you, I've shot with enough people in controlled conditions that I would have serious reservations about your or anyone's ability to shoot a target about 1 foot in diameter, within a short time of being awaken, behind a loved one, in partial darkness.

No offense, but if the perp has your family and is using them as a shield, I'm gonna say a wiser choice is to let the perp go.

Agreed. Blowing the X ring out of a target at 25 yards with a pistol at the range is very different than doing it in the situation you described, plus the insane amount of adrenaline running through your body. If you can keep your hands from shaking I'll be very impressed. Not to mention that your target isn't a foot square, it's much smaller. You want instant incapacitation. Anything less is not acceptable in that scenario.

I wouldn't attempt that shot with a pistol. With a carbine MAYBE. And that's a very big maybe.

Bevo16

pilot
Agreed. Blowing the X ring out of a target at 25 yards with a pistol at the range is very different than doing it in the situation you described, plus the insane amount of adrenaline running through your body.....

^^^damn right.

I average about 200 rounds a week at the range, and consider myself a pretty good shooter...at the range. I have recently had a chance to do some shooting at a really high speed facility and shoot reactive steel targets, moving targets, and run some drills that ramp up the stress level. I did (relatively)well because of how much I had practiced punching paper, but I was nowhere near the level that the pros that were instructing me were. I built some confidence and was humbled at the same time.

I learned one thing for sure, that shooting small moving targets is very hard under somewhat sterile circumstances. If someone is confident that they can get a 1 shot kill at 25 yards, at night, my only other question is: what SEAL team are you in?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
For the second time in two months, my house got robbed. .... words
homes can't be robbed ... they can be burglarized though.

my 2¢... a good dog and a gun... and live in Texas where you can shoot somebody on your property or, as in a recent Houston incident, on your neighbor's property... outcome

S/F

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
and live in Texas where you can shoot somebody on your property or, as in a recent Houston incident, on your neighbor's property... outcome

S/F
Texas or not, that guy was damn lucky not to get fried. If anyone uses that as precedent to determine their self-defense strategy, they're a damned fool.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Options I cannot do:

2) Shotgun: I just do not feel comfortable with that big of a weapon. I know it may be good for home defense but it's just not for me.....not yet.

Maybe you just don't care about the advice you seem to be getting, but personally I think you have a propensity to be dangerous with a firearm.

A pistol, even a .22LR is FAR more dangerous than any long gun. If you can't be comfortable around a shotgun, you have no business around a pistol.

Before you go into any gun shop you need to go to a hunters safety or some other firearms safety class and get some training. Ive done the hard work for you: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp

Also dont get into the mind set that having a gun is going to prevent all bad things from happening. As I said before a gun does you no good if you aren't around to use it, and firearms are one of the most highly sought after possessions for a criminal to relieve you of.

I'm not trying to deter you from becoming an gun owner, but you need to do it for the right reasons, and you need to do it in the right mind set. Going and getting a gun out of fear is dangerous for you, your family, and your neighbors.

Remember if you pull the trigger you are responsible for the outcome, and bullets do have the ability to travel through the walls of your house. Visit: http://www.theboxotruth.com/ to get an idea of what I mean.

Also don't get into a gun fight with buffalo hunters... there ain't no such thing as cover.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

Statesman,

Fair enough. Believe me, I have taken the input from the forum members to heart, and I would never do something out that just doesn't make much sense.

I value the input from those more experienced than me; after all, that is what got me to being that close to OCS. Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Nick

callsignecho

Clock Spider
The entire state of Massachusetts.

Even if not found guilty here, the expense of a lawyer for discharging a firearm towards a person in self-defense is rumored to surpass $100k.

Possibly the only upside to living in FL. The rules of self-defense are clear and broad. Still, even if I lived in a strict state like Mass I'd pull the trigger with a clear conscience. You can get out of jail; you can't get out of dead.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Belair

Gaijin, you movin with your auntsie and uncle in Belair!

I caught it, but didn't get the sudden desire to call it! Good on ya!

Off the Fresh Prince subject and to the one at hand:

It shall always be better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Don't worry gaijin, I saw it!

The only thing I have against the shotgun is that if (and maybe this is just me watching too many movies) Mr. Badguy gets a hold of my wife or kid and starts using them as a shield, I can't do much with a shotgun. With a pistol, any head-sized target within 25 yards is very dead.
I wouldn't want to try to put a rifle round into the bad guy's head from 25 yards if it means an inch or two the right hits a loved one. Let alone a pistol.