• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I'd like to know what the homeowner was shooting and where he kept his weapon in the home.

Hopefully it was .22lr target pistol that was kept in a safe with a trigger lock.

But in all seriousness this article also brings up something that doesn't get talked about much, the value of keeping dogs. Dogs as an alarm system predate ADT by about 300,000 years or so.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...the value of keeping dogs. Dogs as an alarm system predate ADT by about 300,000 years or so.

I'd really like to have a schutzen-trained German Shepherd... Amazing animals and training...

Nothing says get the f**k outta my house like a 130 Shepherd barreling down on your a** :D

statesman

pilot
I have a 70lb Schutzhund trained shepherd puppy. Pizza guys dont like delivering to my house.

MasterBates

I had (parents have now) the passive burglar system. (130 pound Chocolate Lab)

He won't bark at much, but if you don't belong there, you won't see his brown behind on the carpet, trip over him and alert me. And once you wake him up, he will EAT YOU.

navy09

None
My parents have a male German Shepard. He gets genuinely pissed off and goes apeshit every time he sees anyone he doesn't know come within 100 feet of their house. They are great guard dogs.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd really like to have a schutzen-trained German Shepherd... Amazing animals and training...

Nothing says get the f**k outta my house like a 130 Shepherd barreling down on your a** :D

A skitterish shitzu barking up a storm will do the trick. It will send lots of crooks to a quieter house and the rest will be met by an alerted homeowner, hopefully ready to defend his home.

statesman

pilot
He gets genuinely pissed off and goes apeshit every time he sees anyone he doesn't know come within 100 feet of their house. They are great guard dogs.

A Shepherd shouldt go apeshit. He should bark loudly but calmly. He should wait for his handler/master to go after a stranger/intruder.

navy09

None
A Shepherd shouldt go apeshit. He should bark loudly but calmly. He should wait for his handler/master to go after a stranger/intruder.

That's how any dog should handle someone in the yard- but this dog is nuts. They got him from the pound (via a GSD rescue program) so we don't really know his background. Not long after we got him, I walked past him out into the backyard with an Airsoft gun- he went nuts and charged at me, stopped about a foot from me and continued barking crazily until I dropped it :eek:

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
90 LB boxer. Great dog, and he looks pretty intimidating if you don't know he's a clown.

Not a big fan of other dogs and strange tall men.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
""He was not a bad spirit. He just made some bad choices."

BS, he was excrement to the nth degree. Great job by the homeowner. I love hearing stories of good folk defending themselves with firearms.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I have two dogs that are great as watchdogs. Not so much as guard dogs however. Why should they have all the fun?!

As times get apparently tougher, more people will do more desperate things. I'll be waiting.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Great story and great job. Only way to take care of a crook is put a few rounds in the chest or head. If he's dead and inside your house, he has no story and you have an open and shut case. It's the survivors we have to worry about. His having a long rap sheet certainly helps the homeowners out too.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If he's dead and inside your house, he has no story and you have an open and shut case. It's the survivors we have to worry about. His having a long rap sheet certainly helps the homeowners out too.

In the house or not, rap sheet or not, it makes no difference. It was a deadly force encounter. The bad guy had a gun and if there was any doubt about his intent, he fired it. Use of deadly force by the homeowner was justified by that fact. The investigators and prosecutor never got past those facts to the actual location of the encounter or his priors. He could have been the angel his family claims he was. Makes no matter.