• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAMOM

My son's buddy just selected F-18 Hornets on the west coast. There were no Super Hornet slots open at all. No Hornets east coast either. When do you usually select. Just before winging? Also, are there Super Hornets on the east coast at all? Just wondering if there will be more F-18 openings in February?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
You'll find out the day before, if not the day of your winging. At the moment, there are no Super Hornets on the east coast, but that will be changing within the year. The "rumor" is that the east Super Hornet RAG will be opening up in the new fiscal year '06 (that'll be Oct '05). I happened to look at the slot coming up for the next few months, there are very few east coast Hornets.

SNAMOM

Thanks for the info!

I was wondering how you know what slots are open and where? Is this inside information and you'll have to kill me if you tell me!

Fred

Actually, there are Super Hornets at Oceana. VFA 106 (Hornet Rag) got them in Sept of this year. They are now flying both types of Hornets. Fleet squadrons will began arriving shortly.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ouch, Indiana...why do you have to be insulting like that? And we all know that the west is by far the best.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
Ouch, Indiana...why do you have to be insulting like that? And we all know that the west is by far the best.

There are more red states on the East Coast... in fact, there are no red states on the Left Coast... so... you lose :)

SNAs can't fly F Model Super Hornets? I thought those were only East Coast replacing the Tomcats?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Fly Navy said:
There are more red states on the East Coast... in fact, there are no red states on the Left Coast... so... you lose :)

SNAs can't fly F Model Super Hornets? I thought those were only East Coast replacing the Tomcats?

I have a buddy who is a former East Coast Tomcat driver who is now at Lemoore doing F model transition training.

There are also several squadrons at Lemoore who fly the F model.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Fly Navy said:

Nope, they're coming to the east coast too. VFA-106 will be pulling double duty as the FRS for the C models, and the E/F's. Word has it that they are already getting ready for the first Super Hornet FRS class to be selected in the new fiscal year (next October basically). But that's only rumor so far and we know how many rumors we hear are true.

PS: damn my post count took a hit now that War Zone doesn't count

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Aviation Slots

For the Marine Corps you find out what you're flying half way through based off of class ranking. However, the Marine Corps guarantees you a flight contract before you commit yourself to anything. For more info go to http://www.marineofficer.com.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
samadma said:
For the Marine Corps you find out what you're flying half way through based off of class ranking. However, the Marine Corps guarantees you a flight contract before you commit yourself to anything. For more info go to http://www.marineofficer.com.

Not exactly..
that depends on how you define "what you're flying." If you're talking generalizations like Jets, Helos, or C-130s, then yes, after primary (still not 'half way' though) you find out which pipeline you'll be going to. As for specific airframe, you won't know that till just before you wing, after the syllabus is all said and done. On the jet side, Marines are mostly selecting Hornets these days. The Harrier RAG is pretty backed up at the moment, and we just don't have that many Prowler slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.