• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

navy101

Go Air Force, but with the AF you have a greater chance of flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog sh*t out of Hong Kong.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Just some more info that I haven’t seen posted yet. We’re on a new syllabus, where primary and intermediate are combined into one, they add some more acrobatics some more sims…fun ****. From what they say, there won’t be enough people ahead of us on this syllabus to get an accurate NSS so they will look at your grades, listen to your onwing, the CO, etc.. A lot more subjectivity, but suiting you up with the appropriate aircraft. As far as the NSS goes, I haven’t seen anybody that was able to look at there grades and say uhh..well, because they are at this percent I need to do this to become “Jet Guy.” You always strive to become the best pilot possible, and that’s all you can do. If you are too “too cool for helo guy,” then perhaps the military is not for you.

tali264

Originally posted by navy101
Go Air Force, but with the AF you have a greater chance of flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog sh*t out of Hong Kong.
And here I thought that's what you flew after you screwed up one too many times in the Navy. Crazy movies....always giving bad info.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
What is the most competetive platform? I hear a lot of guys talking about jets but some guys talking about P3s and the like. Which do you think it's best. Also, honest question: Are NFOs treated like crap in the jet pipeline. I have heard that they are treated like second class citizens because they don't do the flying. I want to go jets but not at that price. Let me know.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
AfterburnerX10:
Just realize how tough the training and competition is for jet slots in the Navy, as well as the AF, before you dive in. I'm w/ the AF right now for E-6s and I can tell you, the AF slects about the same percentage of people for jets (T-38s) as the Navy does, but there are more slots numbers wise b/c the AF is bigger. Most AF guys fly heavies (C-5, C-17, KC-135, KC-10, ect), but from what I can tell so far most of them really enjoy the planes they fly.
It's all about the needs of the Navy (and AF) at the very moment you select, if they don't need jet students, you don't get jets (3 months ago they wern't taking anyone for jets, now apparently if you have a pulse and low 50 NSS you are getting them).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by navy101

If you're gonna fly rubber dog **** out of Hong Kong, do it the right way and fly Navy
icon_smile_wink.gif

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by AfterburnerX10
I know this question has been answered every which way but I am an aeronatical engineering major at RPI and want to fly jets for the navy more than anything. This whole needs of the navy stuff scares the **** out of me because i almost flat out refuse to fly helos/props etc. Would a score of 53 or above give me close to a guarantee of getting jets or should i take my chances in the air force.

If your're dead set on not flying props or helo's then I'm thinking the Navy isn't for you. Nothing wrong with having the goal of flying jets but you must understand the chances of flying something other than F-/A-18's is very possible. I also think you don't understand military aviation if you're blind to other communities. Maybe the Air National Gaurd might be more appropriate for you. Pick a unit that fly's F-16's, 15's, or A-10's and apply. If you are accepted and do well enough in flight school, you will fly that particular aircraft for that unit.

adam

SNA, VT-21
<<attempting to steer this back on topic, it's "selection" right???>>

here's the low down on vt-6 selection this week:

4 navy: 3 jets, 1 e-6, all first choice!
3 marine: 2 helo, 1 jet

off to kingsville in november!

unfUSN

Originally posted by goplay234
Guys,
Any idea on what it looks like for NFO's who want jets?

I am starting week 5 of API this week! Can anyone answer the question about NFO's and jets? I haven't really heard any numbers on where the majority of FO's are going.
Thanks... LTJG Payne

Agent00JP

I heard recently that all the FO's headed to San Antonio out of that particular class chose to do so. As long as you can dodge the E2 bullet, then you get jets.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
are you competing against all 5 squadrons for jet selection? i.e. if there are only 2 slots available do you mean just for the squadron or for all squadrons?

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Originally posted by goplay234
...honest question: Are NFOs treated like crap in the jet pipeline. I have heard that they are treated like second class citizens because they don't do the flying. I want to go jets but not at that price. Let me know.

Is this a Navy phenoma only?

I'm interested in hearing someone reply to this question...I'm a Marine NFO candidate interested in hearing about the crew dynamic. Is there a intra service clique of pilots and NFO's vs. everyone just getting along like the Brady's. LOL, pardon the reference.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Originally posted by AfterburnerX10
This whole needs of the navy stuff scares the **** out of me because i almost flat out refuse to fly helos/props etc.

The navy is not for you then. There is a very good chance that you will end up flying something other than your first choice. You need to accept that going into flight training. You might also want to research the other communities and find out exactly what they do, before you just write them off as second rate flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.