• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

selection process plus odds

Status
Not open for further replies.

upset_instructor

I'll give you a little background about myself. I'm 19, have 1000 hours in mostly single engine pistons, and my CFI, CFII, and MEI. i'm a sophmore in aeronautical engineering at the university here, and i've got some major questions on my mind. My father was an airforce pilot in the vietnam conflict and had nothing but good things to say about the flying aspect. my flying career is winding down until after i graduate so i'll probably leave school with around 1200 hours or so. I've got a few questions so bear with me and any and all solid information is more than welcome. First off what is the actual rate of pilots accepted into training not only from ROTC but from the academy and any other routes also? Plus, what other routes other than the academy and ROTC are there? OK, so once i get into API what is the rate of graduation? and one thing i'd really love to get the stats on is what percentage of pilots go to what airplanes after graduation. i love the prospect of the military, but i'm incredibly nervous about signing the papers BEFORE i have the assurance from them that i'll be flying if i've got a promising future in the civilian side. One other thing, how many hours will it take (on average) a zero time student graduate all phases of flight training with? Also, is there anywhere to take a full flight physical or anything comprable on the civilian side before i sign the papers and find out i have some disqualifying factor? sorry for skipping around, its 3AM here, but any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Scott Carlson

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Go talk to an officer recruiter. He will be able to answer all your questions, or point you to a good source of info.

That being said, you asked about other commissioning sources. Ask about BDCP. I am not too knowledgable about the program, but a lot of people here are.

I am assuming you will be doing OCS, judging by your status as a soph already. I beleive you would know what you are going into ( Aviation, SWO or sub) prior to going to OCS.

As far as API goes, as long as you put some effort in, you will pass. Especially with your degree (I majored in the same).

Flight Phys, you will get one before being selected pilot, not just when you class up for API.

As far as the rest of your questions, I am sure someone else with more experience can answer them

Good Luck

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I were you, I would look at BDCP for a commissioning source. You sound like a qualified pilot, so they'll be checking more on whether you're qualified to be an officer in general (GPA, test scores, recommendations, ect.)

If you're not familiar with it, BDCP is a program in which you are placed on active duty (get active duty E-3 salary) until OCS. After OCS you go straight into flight training. What I mean is that you apply into the program you want before you make any committments - you'll know whether you have been accepted into the pilot community before you sign that dotted line. I'm in BDCP and already have a Student Naval Aviator designation. It's a great program and I would encourage you to visit with an officer recruiter if it's something you think you are interested in.

Also, you do not necessarily get a full flight physical before you are accepted. I am already in the BDCP program and the only physical I had was at MEPS, which was a much less throrough exam than the one I will get when I arrive in Pensacola. Your recruiter should be able to shed more light on these and other questions.

Good luck in whatever you decide to go for. If there's anything specific about BDCP you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

front seat1

it doesnt sound like you have too much interest in the military just their aircraft and their gas...i may be worng but its a full pakage you have to deal with so please dont do it just for the flying

Bug

I have to echo comments from front seat1. All of us are Naval Officers first and foremost and that is how you are processed into this job. You can be Orville Write or Chuck Yeager as far as experience and skill, but if you can’t salute, wear a uniform, stand boat officer watch and, most importantly, lead people with an air of trustworthiness, this job might not be for you. These must be trained to and accepted to a standard before you ever strap into a cockpit.

Also consider that you would designated an Unrestricted Line Officer, which means that even IF you are selected for aviation (NA, NFO), you stand a small chance of picking what you want to fly (from helo’s to fighters to E-6’s to COD’s). This, however, is typically no issue since I have *never* met anyone who is not happy with their platform.

I don’t mean to sound all “doom and gloom,” but understand your dilemma and a career change like this requires a lot of personal reflection and commitment. Honestly, it sounds like you should do just fine. There's no difference in ROTC, academy or OCS. Many folks I know have degrees in animal science or business - most with those "2.0 and GO" type grades. Good effort and physical conditioning will get you through API and flight school just requires focus and time management. I hope you take the challenge - we’re standing by to welcome you aboard!

airickenny

front seat1,

I read some of the messages you posted a few weeks ago and I just wanted to say that I take offense to some of those. I am in NFO primary right now and I really believe my job is at least as important, if not more, than yours. You are no better than me just because you sit in the front seat. I heard how "hard" you training is at Whiting and Corpus. You dont even have to bring you CR2 with you in the plane. I chose this billet because I heard from a EA-6B LCDR NFO who the real backbone of Naval Aviation is, plus I was inspired by Owen Wilson in Behind Enemy Lines (HE DID SUCH A SUPER JOB IN THAT MOVIE). I just wanted to voice my displeasure with you and hope that you will refrain from those comments in the future.

Respectfully,
A concerned Naval Flight Officer

Crossed Anchors for Life

Goose - Rest In Peace

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Oh man. What does a CR-2 even do? As for Owen Wilson, he should have done what Gene Hackman admonished him for: "Gotten out and gotten a cushy airline job". Doing what? Serving drinks?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Owen Wilson did a superb job protraying a Naval Aviator..... DID YOU SEE THE MOVIE???

That was the worst portrail of any naval officer I have ever seen. When he was interviewed after the movie and asked what he used as research for the part, he said a PRO FOOTBALL player. The part even implied that he wanted to get out and fly for a rockstar.... um last time I checked, NFO's don't fly the plane. How much more inaccurate could one get?

As far as NFO's, you are right, they are a very important part of naval aviation. Anyone who claims they are of lesser values does not know what they are talking about... But when you try defending you job with Owen Wilson, WOW your creditbility goes out the window.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I"m with BCH on this. I agree that NFOs are as important as NAs, but that movie was awful. They kept calling Owen a pilot the entire movie. And come on, who can really run the entire time your being chased. I was tired from watching that. I liked how the sniper missed him when he was sitting on the damn, or what ever it was.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
I'll be the first to defend the importance of NFOs in the fleet, but I wouldn't make the claim that using a CR-2 makes your training harder than ours. I suppose I could make all sorts of jokes about spinning the whiz wheel versus flying the plane, but that wouldn't be cool.

To upset_instructor, I say good luck. You'll do fine as long as you have the desire to fly for the Navy. You should also want to be a good leader, but anyone with an open mind and a caring heart can do a good job of taking care of the troops. Keep up the flying!

av8tor

Upset_Instructor,
Can I borrow an few hunred of your logbook entries for an up and coming job interview? That's awesome, 19 and 1000 hours, did you have any childhood? Will you airline flying dad adopt me, I do dishes and medium level houswork. Oh yeah, check out BDCP, it's a guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.