• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection Out of Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmantel02

Couple questions....

I'm due to start API Dec 20th of this year, and was wondering if anyone has heard any gouge about selection out of primary for the near future. Will this "helo-draft" come to a close? What are the instructors and guys from CNTRA saying in their briefs?

Also, #1 in the class still gets what he wants right? If there's 2 P-3 slots and the rest helos then the #1 guy can still select jets or E2/C2 can't he? At least that's what they've told us up here.

Thanks for the help.

moestud

jmantel02

I just selected my platform, so I will tell you how things are now and how they were briefed to us for the navy.
There really isn't a helo draft. Everyone talks about it, and yes there are some weeks where just about everything is helos, but keep in mind that most of our fleet is helos and we will only be getting more. When I selected last week, there were 8 P-3 slots and 3 helo, 1 jet (1 for navy, there were 3 jet slots for marines) 1 E-2/C-2. This week, there were all helos, with few P-3's. Its just about timing, things vary from week to week, but the 1 jet slot a week (and this is between all the primary squadrons in pcola and corpus) has been going on for a long time. It might change in the future.
As for being #1 in the class, if you are #1 amongst all of the squadrons, and IF there is a jet slot you will probably get it. IF there is not a jet slot or someone has a higher NSS, then you might get E-2/C-2's. There is no guarantee for jets. Right now, the guys with 70+ NSS's (which is extremely high) are getting that 1 jet slot.

So to sum it up, right now, you need a really high nss to get jets and lots of luck. Hopefully things will change in the future, but at one of our briefs we were told this will continue into this new fiscal year '03. Best of luck.[:D]

jwilliamsee

I leave for ocs in april for a sna slot and was wondering how long the wait for primary is after ocs. are they really backed up 6 months for api then again for primary?

moestud

I did hear there were 2 E-2/C-2 slots this week. Its amazing how much things change week to week. Last week there were few helo slots and this week everyone got them, just about.

As for the wait for Primary, once again, I'm sure things change often, but I waited 2 months to start API, some waited longer, but once I was finished with API, I started primary in corpus that very next week. I think at the time, Whiting had a little more of a wait, but nothing significant.

UINavy, you are a funny person. Why can't we all just get along? hehe

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
Illinois,

I put the word in for you today, and that Russian Navy helo transition should be no problem. Don't sweat the small stuff.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So moestud, what platform are you going to be flying in?

UInavy, funny stuff, same old line that was going on when I went through VT6, those SNAs in Corpus were spoonfed and flew with those Santa Claus IPs that handed out multiple aboves (god knows what you call it now in the new syllabus grading..)

moestud

UInavy

I selected helos.

As for the rumor that Corpus Christi is holding guys w/ 70+ NSS's until they can get jets, thats untrue (although I had heard the rumor before I got here). I only know a few guys who have a 70+ (quite a few have 60+) and yes they have gotten jets, but they selected a week or two after they finished primary, no sitting around.
So that one jet slot a week seems to ping-pong from whiting to corpus, its not always the corpus people getting jets.

jmantel02

Has anyone heard any rumors about WHEN in FY03 the jet pipeline will open up for more than a slot or two per week?

Also, what do you guys know about getting 'double pumped' into the accelarated sylabus in primary? Does that help you out for selection? Do the SNA gods look favorably on that?

Rainman

pilot
1) Estimated March for USN SNAs.

2) Double Pumped doesn't seem to happen too much @ Whiting. The "AF" squadron doesn't really do it at all (except for unusual circustances). Somebody else posted here that Corpus is accelerating students with ratings.

3) Yes, it helps your NSS to have less overall graded events. The formula is posted within the depths of airwarriors.

Status
Not open for further replies.