• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selecting the Right Community

rb1243

I am preparing for the test and reviewing the Application. One of the things my recruiter told me was that I need to select a community. I don't want my lack of information to automatically delay my possible entry into OCS. Is there anyone that could offer information about the different communities that offer a stronger chance of being called sooner, when applying. I don't have kids and moving around a lot is not an issue.
Thanks to any who can help me with this.
I am looking into Intelligence, -Surface Warfare Officer or/ Information Warfare.

rb1243

Any info on Communities?!?!

I am preparing for the test and reviewing the Application. One of the things my recruiter told me was that I need to select a community. I don't want my lack of information to automatically delay my possible entry into OCS. Is there anyone that could offer information about the different communities that offer a stronger chance of being called sooner, when applying. I don't have kids and moving around a lot is not an issue.
Thanks to any who can help me with this.
I am looking into Intelligence, -Surface Warfare Officer or/ Information Warfare.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couple words of advice. First, don't post more than one thread asking the same question. Second, did you search for any information about any of those communities? You're not the first person to come here and ask about Intel/SWO/IW. If you have specific questions about each community then fire away, otherwise do a bit of research first before asking such a general question. Finally, there is no single community that automatically gives you a better chance of being selected. It all depends on the strength of your application package. Search around some more and good luck!

PapaK

Wow, there's a loaded question. As you well probably know, the Navy, like most of the services, offers a myriad of job types and communities. The question is what are you interested in. None of us can answer that for you. The best thing I could suggest is took at navy.com or navy.mil and explore the different communities. You may also want to take a good look at www.navy-officer.com they provide some descriptions of some of the communities and their applicability in the civilian world. After reading all you can, do a thorough analysis of your educational, professional, and personal background/interests. The last thing you want is to be stuck on a ship somewhere doing something you hate. Wish you fair winds and following seas. Hopefully we'll meet in the fleet.

Random Task

pilot
See if you can't grab a copy of "The Naval Officers guide". This one source might help inform you on all you want to know about officers and careers.

GreenLantern330

I just can't believe you're in the process of applying and getting ready for the ASTB, yet you still don't know a lot about the different communities. Wouldn't that be the first thing you do, to make sure the Navy is right for you?

rb1243

Sorry for the double post, that was an accident.
I am interested in several, and researched all of them. I have read everything on navy.com etc...
I was kind of hoping that someone had information that wasn't the official description.
To those who were helpful, thank you.

GreenLantern330

Well if you're looking for more of "what's a typical day in the life of x designator" kinda thing, that stuff has been posted numerous times. Just use the search function. I know off the top of my head people have given their personal experiences with SNA/SNFO (of course), SWO, and Supply. There's probably some stuff on Intel and Seabees too. Also try USNavyOCS.com. It's more well-rounded than AW, so you'll be more likely to find those sorts of stories/answers for all the other designators not mentioned on AW.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try sailorbob.com for swo stuff, its their version of airwarriors. There's definitely some threads on here about Intel/IW, so not to beat a dead horse, but the search function is your friend.