• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Selecting Aviation type and Aircraft?

[Liu] Marxman224

I'm a youngin so I got a lot of questions. One of the average Fighter jet guys. I asked my friend who's going into the Air Force how selecting your plane goes, and he just said that Academy guys go first, then the top performers in the group, and so forth. Of course it's all based on need and availability I know. I just needed someone to confirm.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
1) Needs of the Corps.
2) Your grades.
3) What you want.

Academy, ROTC, OCS has nothing to do with it.

Remember that the Corps has much more rotary/tilt-rotor than fixed wing (someone else here can give you the percentages).

[Liu] Marxman224

1) Needs of the Corps.
2) Your grades.
3) What you want.

Academy, ROTC, OCS has nothing to do with it.

Remember that the Corps has much more rotary/tilt-rotor than fixed wing (someone else here can give you the percentages).
When you say grades, are you talking about the ASVAB? Or IFS/API tests? Or are you talking about literal school grades?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The flight grades in you get in Primary determine if you get jets, props, tilt-rotor or helo. I can not remember if API grades still matter.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
NSS is a bell curve type of grading system - how many standard deviations are you from the mean. It uses - if I remember correctly - the scores of the last 200 students.

These are the rotary / tilt-rotor squadrons you can go to. The active duty units are based at Camp Lejeune, NC; Miramar and Camp Pendleton CA, Hawaii and Okinawa.

11817082_10153399314211023_8638886026773753737_n.jpg

Credit for the poster goes to a good magazine / website called Heliops.