• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selecting as 1st in your class

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy21

I keep hearing that for SNA or SNFO, it's all about the needs of the Navy, obviously. However, if you finish first in Primary, then you're good to go as far as what platform you can choose. My question though is when everybody talks about being "first in your class," how big is each class? Are you only compared with people who are finishing Primary the same week as you? And is your class size usually say 5 or 6 or 30-40 or more? Thanks.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
doesnt matter, if you're #1, slot or no slot, you get what you want ... or atleast thats what they're passing in the VTs these days

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
For SNFO's they get to select Tactical (and then stay in Pcola) or Navs (and go to Randolph AFB) after primary, but NFO's still have intermediate spearate from primary, so if you are #1 you can choose between those two. After intermediate, then they break it down even further.

From the last two SNFO primary classes to graduate in Pcola, the #1's got their first choice area.

SNAs are different, but I don't know exactly how that works. Hope this helps. :)

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
What about NFOs in top 10% of API get pilot automatically now if the qualify medically and ASTB wise?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
hahaha...that's a good one

I've said it before, I'll say it again - API DOESN'T MEAN/COUNT FOR ANYTHING (if it's even part of your NSS -very debateable and according to cnatra's scoring sop, it doesn't appear to- its a very miniscule amount). The people who cling to that "API means this and this and is 30% of your NSS" are those stash clowns who haven't even gone through API or were rolled for one reason or another and just because they polish a stool by the door of the NASCC building, they think they are the be-all-end-all of flight training gouge just because they heard something from some NASCC LT. /run-on

API is like the ASTB, it's designed as a predictor of future performance. The ASTB is supposed to be an indicator how your success at API - API is designed to predict how you'll do at primary and to prepare you for the basic academics of the pipeline.

With the number of pilot slots declining, and the number of FO slots semmingly increasing, I'm curious to know what the originator of that gouge was smoking at the time.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
The detailer from Pensacola that was up here at the Academy with all the other honchos from flight school.

Agent00JP

Hey squeeze,

Had a FO from my API class put in an application to switch to pilot based on the top 10% thing. No word yet on if it was accepted, but the gouge is good, the opportunity is there. The catch is, once you graduate API, you are stuck. So he had to get a "strategic" down chit in order to get the requisite NAMI, etc paperwork done.

Just thought I'd perpetuate the gouge.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see. I stand corrected. We had several FO's in the top 10% and no one mentioned it. Is it new?

I still stand by the stash clowns passing bad gouge consistently bit though :)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
From a pal of mine who just finished API last week:

"You can put in a package to redesignate to pilot if you're the top 3 in your API class. That includes pilots."

So, if classes are of size 30, there you have it.

petescheu

Yeah but good luck with that redesig. I had a friend who THEY asked to redesig b/c he had so many flight hours and this and that, so he said ok he'd put in the package, and then THEY rejected him. How's that for some shiz..
Not sure if being #1 gets you what you want, but I'm pretty sure if you get DG then they will find you a slot for what it is you want, whether they have it or not. Had that happen to a kid who selected my week. He was told that without gettin DG, he probably wouldn't have gotten his 1st choice, even though his NSS was pretty high.

flyboy21

So when people say there was only "1 jet slot my week," does that mean that only one SNA across the country from all bases got a jet slot, and still has to perform well to get his choice to designate to a EA-6B/S-3/or Hornet? It sounds like it's getting quite tough these days in the Navy to be a "boat pilot" in a TACAIR jet. I guess that's why so many people say you need to be prepared to accept what you get and you'll usually end up liking whatever platform you get.

Also, since Helos don't have NFO's, aren't the probabilities of going TACAIR, or specifically SuperHornet, a lot better if you're an SNFO?

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
Dumb question... and I asked this on another forum that turned into a ****storm, but what is NSS? What does it stand for?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by flyboy21
So when people say there was only "1 jet slot my week," does that mean that only one SNA across the country from all bases got a jet slot, and still has to perform well to get his choice to designate to a EA-6B/S-3/or Hornet? It sounds like it's getting quite tough these days in the Navy to be a "boat pilot" in a TACAIR jet. I guess that's why so many people say you need to be prepared to accept what you get and you'll usually end up liking whatever platform you get.

Also, since Helos don't have NFO's, aren't the probabilities of going TACAIR, or specifically SuperHornet, a lot better if you're an SNFO?

I'm thinking you are really concerned about flying jets and jets only. Where are you in the process? Meaning in college, after college, waiting on orders, etc. My advice to you is not to worry about it, especially if you're way far out from even being an officer or flight student. Absolutely have a goal but just do the best you can. If you worry about it constantly, it can hurt you in the end. The biggest achievement for anyone looking for naval aviation are those gold wings on your left breast. Make that your motivation and ultimate goal.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
according to my XO the ultimate goal of a SNA is not the wings of gold but to "place bombs on target and troops in zone" :)

gotta love harrier pilots.

Status
Not open for further replies.