• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking Advice

PS_Rex

I first walked into the Navy Officer Recruiting Office 22 months ago and I have been working on getting into OCS ever since. I am seeking a pilot slot. I have been submitted to 2 boards (February 2016 and May 2016) with no PROREC and I am shooting for the October 2016 board next. I am running out of ideas on how else to improve my packet.

GPA: 2.56 (Bachelor's degree)

ASTB-E: OAR: 51/ AQR: 5 / PFAR: 6 / FOFAR: 5

Private pilots license w/ 150 hours (No other ratings)

I am debating between taking the ASTB one more time or achieving an instrument rating on my pilots license before September. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask more questions.

exNavyOffRec

I first walked into the Navy Officer Recruiting Office 22 months ago and I have been working on getting into OCS ever since. I am seeking a pilot slot. I have been submitted to 2 boards (February 2016 and May 2016) with no PROREC and I am shooting for the October 2016 board next. I am running out of ideas on how else to improve my packet.

GPA: 2.56 (Bachelor's degree)

ASTB-E: OAR: 51/ AQR: 5 / PFAR: 6 / FOFAR: 5

Private pilots license w/ 150 hours (No other ratings)

I am debating between taking the ASTB one more time or achieving an instrument rating on my pilots license before September. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask more questions.

you have 2 issues, your GPA and your ASTB, you should re-take the ASTB and how you ace it

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Would an instrument rating on my pilots license help?

No, the Navy is largely indifferent to your level of flight training. It definitely can push you over into the Y category if you're close, but it can't save you if your ASTB scores and GPA are not competitive.

Best thing you can do is study your ass off, retake the ASTB, and shoot for 8s.

jcahall

Tacamo Bro
None
See if you can bump astb up to a 55 7/7/7 and you should be in a better situation.

Weird. Those are my exact scores...

OP: I have noticed in the past some applicants getting in with similar GPA but retake the ASTB and do much better and have other community involvement, clubs, etc get PRO REC Y. I think they are looking for the whole person concept.

Don't consider my scores stellar by any means but PM me if you wanna know some good resources that worked for me :)

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Weird. Those are my exact scores...

OP: I have noticed in the past some applicants getting in with similar GPA but retake the ASTB and do much better and have other community involvement, clubs, etc get PRO REC Y. I think they are looking for the whole person concept.

Don't consider my scores stellar by any means but PM me if you wanna know some good resources that worked for me :)

The look almost exclusively at ASTB and GPA, if they dig they will look at other items.

Mandy Smith

I am a little confused. Hoping someone can clear up the difference between the ASTB and the ASTB-E. Is it one in the same test or different. Thanks in advance!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I am a little confused. Hoping someone can clear up the difference between the ASTB and the ASTB-E. Is it one in the same test or different. Thanks in advance!

ASTB-E is the newer version that was implemented in December 2013. The biggest change was adding the UAV and performance-based sections. That is the version everyone now takes, but it is still colloquially referred to as the ASTB.

Mandy Smith

ASTB-E is the newer version that was implemented in December 2013. The biggest change was adding the UAV and performance-based sections. That is the version everyone now takes, but it is still colloquially referred to as the ASTB.

Ok thank you for clearing that up...