• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The slip on grips are nice, like this one, just be aware its going to act as a palm swell, so if you're already reaching for the trigger, it may end up too large. I'd say most of the time they're beneficial because they'll actually help force your finger into a better position with regards to how you index the trigger. Plus Hogue grips just feel amazing. You'd know if it were a Gen4 as it's got that marketing tool plastered on the slide, and just looks a little different. Chances are you'd be better off with a Gen 3 anyway, seeing how slow Glock has been to acknowledge and then fix the fourth generations very apparent issues.

I have that slip on grip on my Gen 2. I like it on the 2. It's not too big for my size 10 hand but it's close. Not sure it would be needed on the 3 but I've never shot a G19 Gen 3. If I was going to get another 19 it would be a Gen 3 I guess. My Gen 2 looks like it will last forever though

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I was a hater for a long time... Eventually we're all assimilated to one extent or another, though.

My G22 is a Gen2 (one of the better deals I've gotten, thank you), and I shoot it for USPSA. I put it under the soldering iron for about 3-4 hours and stippled the living hell out of it, as well as installing enough aftermarket parts to basically make it unreasonable for any kind of carry. Some of those parts I wouldn't use a Glock without, but the trigger mods are really what mess with the ability to carry it. I also bought my wife a Gen 3 RTF 2 G17 that's her production gun.

I've just gone through the Gen 3 v. Gen 4 debate with my boss, who wound up buying a Gen 4 G17. In the end, it was the ability to swap the magazine release around (he's lefty) that sold him on it over the Gen 3. It didn't hurt that he got a good deal on one at Bud's, either. He may have caught a case of the USPSA/3-gun bug. I can't imagine where from...

In case you were wondering, it's taken me about an hour to type all that out, mainly because I've been laughing my ass off at the (female and spayed) chihuahua that's been humping the living shit out of my (male, NOT neutered) boxer. Little bitch is still going strong, too.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I was a hater for a long time... Eventually we're all assimilated to one extent or another, though.

My G22 is a Gen2 (one of the better deals I've gotten, thank you), and I shoot it for USPSA. I put it under the soldering iron for about 3-4 hours and stippled the living hell out of it, as well as installing enough aftermarket parts to basically make it unreasonable for any kind of carry. Some of those parts I wouldn't use a Glock without, but the trigger mods are really what mess with the ability to carry it. I also bought my wife a Gen 3 RTF 2 G17 that's her production gun.

I've just gone through the Gen 3 v. Gen 4 debate with my boss, who wound up buying a Gen 4 G17. In the end, it was the ability to swap the magazine release around (he's lefty) that sold him on it over the Gen 3. It didn't hurt that he got a good deal on one at Bud's, either. He may have caught a case of the USPSA/3-gun bug. I can't imagine where from...

In case you were wondering, it's taken me about an hour to type all that out, mainly because I've been laughing my ass off at the (female and spayed) chihuahua that's been humping the living shit out of my (male, NOT neutered) boxer. Little bitch is still going strong, too.

I was infact, wondering what new deviant sexual shit was going on in your new KY home......by the way speaking of sexual deviant goings on, I saw you mention your young 'rican wife and muay thai in an earlier post. When I first met trophy wife she was big into muay thai. I used to hold the heavy bag for her and feel my nuts shrivel up when she kicked that sucker. Then she got into hang gliding with me and broke her knee and elbow. Now I can whup that ass and out shoot her too.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Well, that's about the ONLY sexual shit, deviant or otherwise, that's going on here. La Esposa is still in NC, waiting for her job to start up here. I'll go on record as saying that, while I enjoy being able to go shoot thursdays at the USPSA matches they have at Bud's and the time to work on my book, this shit sucks. I have a 4000 sq-ft house, that's empty, except for me, the guns, my kitchen knives, and of course, the bizarrely horny chihuahua trying to screw the boxer.

I've seen weirder shit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The slip on grips are nice, like this one, just be aware its going to act as a palm swell, so if you're already reaching for the trigger, it may end up too large. I'd say most of the time they're beneficial because they'll actually help force your finger into a better position with regards to how you index the trigger. Plus Hogue grips just feel amazing. You'd know if it were a Gen4 as it's got that marketing tool plastered on the slide, and just looks a little different. Chances are you'd be better off with a Gen 3 anyway, seeing how slow Glock has been to acknowledge and then fix the fourth generations very apparent issues.

I'm a huge fan of Hogue grips and I have one on my 1911 and P229. As I chatted with Gaijin a bunch over PM, the Hogue grip made my P229 fit better with my larger hand, so I'm not sweating an issue with the Glock. Thanks for the pointer, though, to that grip.

@Rocket and Gaijin,

Thanks for the feedback. I wish Gaijin could just buy the gun for me at Bud's and I'd be good, but I know the whole straw man thing is the problem. I'm sure I'll have a FFL/address question for you guys in another thread "soon."

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'll be at Bud's tomorrow night for a match, and I may be forced to buy myself a new pistol. Maybe an HK this time, I don't know. There's just so much inventory to choose from...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm a huge fan of Hogue grips and I have one on my 1911 and P229. As I chatted with Gaijin a bunch over PM, the Hogue grip made my P229 fit better with my larger hand, so I'm not sweating an issue with the Glock. Thanks for the pointer, though, to that grip.

@Rocket and Gaijin,

Thanks for the feedback. I wish Gaijin could just buy the gun for me at Bud's and I'd be good, but I know the whole straw man thing is the problem. I'm sure I'll have a FFL/address question for you guys in another thread "soon."

I buy guns online all the time and I'd guess Gaijin does as well. It's no problem at all. For better or worse I use gun shows and gun shops as a way to put my hands on what I'm considering (especially pistols) then I buy it cheaper on line. Most of the black rifle stuff I buy the local shops don't carry anyway.

Ask away when ready.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I used to buy online, and do a few face-to-face purchases. Living in the same town as Bud's, though, is becoming a crutch.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I buy guns online all the time and I'd guess Gaijin does as well. It's no problem at all. For better or worse I use gun shows and gun shops as a way to put my hands on what I'm considering (especially pistols) then I buy it cheaper on line. Most of the black rifle stuff I buy the local shops don't carry anyway.

Ask away when ready.

I've bought plenty of stuff online, as well. My problem is dealing with the CA hurdle, which can be a pain and costs much more than a typical FFL transfer fee. I'll just have to wait until I head back to FL for Xmas. My question was more about the address on my license versus my "permanent residence," but I'll save that for another thread.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, so in the continuing effort to find something more interesting to me than my day job, I've been continuing to figure out what to get next. While I'm pretty well set on shooting pistol and "action rifle" locally, I'm still curious to learn about precision shooting. Basically, I know almost nothing but want to learn. In that vein, over the last few months, I've been toying with the idea of getting a SPR-ish type gun (common parts with my already existing AR), but the high price of an optic would always rear its head. Then I found this today:

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/trs/

The TRS-1 seems to be a sub-$300 scope with rave reviews. It's not top-tier, of course, but still apparently has clear optics and holds zero. I don't need something to go run around the 'Stan with, just something to learn and grow into. If I coupled this with a Noveske 18" upper, I'd be out the door for less than $1300 before ammo and have a pretty accurate weapon. One of the two ranges around here goes out to 4-500 yards, so there's at least a place to initially shoot at.

So am I missing something? I usually like to spend the extra money to do it "right" the first time, but in this case, don't really want to spend $800+ on an optic that may be better, but I'm not sure I would know any better for some time.

Oh, and the Glock is still on the radar, but I think that's a Xmas purchase...and I did fondle a G34 today, which was pretty damn nice. More than I need, for sure, but still nice.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Gatordev, If you haven't shot national match before it's a great intro into that world and the people are great. Plus you don't have to have a space gun setup or even a scope to nail sub MOA at 600yards with a nice mil spec rifle and it's cheap to get in and be comptetitive. You are probably more knowledgeable on it than I am but I thought it was worth a mention if you hadn't considered it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ooo, yeah...my concern with something like precision shooting is that I'm still trying to figure out how to get the key in the ignition, and doing a national match sounds like you want me to go do autocross. I appreciate the suggestion, though. There's books worth of knowledge I still can learn when it comes to shooting, so I'm enjoying trying to get to all of it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Any words of wisdom on purchasing a MOA/mil vs mil/mil scope? I need to do some further research (hopefully later today), but was wondering what you guys can tell me. I have a Midway coupon that I would have to use by the end of the weekend and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this Millet scope using the coupon.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Ok, so my case of black rifle disease is flaring up again and I'm feeling the need to scratch it. I'm considering purchasing a new upper in .308. I currently have a Spike's Tactical mid length carbine which comes standard with the H2 buffer. Would any modifications to my lower be necessary or can I just bolt a .308 upper on and go?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Ok, so my case of black rifle disease is flaring up again and I'm feeling the need to scratch it. I'm considering purchasing a new upper in .308. I currently have a Spike's Tactical mid length carbine which comes standard with the H2 buffer. Would any modifications to my lower be necessary or can I just bolt a .308 upper on and go?

I don't think you can just bolt on a 308 upper. A 6.8 or 6.5 or 300 BLK yes but not a 308/7.62. A 308 round needs a bigger mag well and bolt/bolt carrier at a min.

There is a huge amount of info on the web ref 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 so I'll let you wade thru that (I did and I chose 6.8 but what you choose depends on how you want to use it. I love my 6.8 SPC ARs. IMHO it is the round that makes the AR platform just right. I know a bit about this round and can maybe help if you go this way. With the 6.5 not so much) Both 6.8 and 6.5 need just a different barrel, bolt (same 5.56 carrier works) and mags. Anyone's lower is good to go. The 300 BLK is a hot item now especially for the supressor crowd (people are using it to make "major" too). It uses a necked up 5.56 case so all you need is a new barrel. 5.56 mags and bolt don't need to be changed. I feel like it's kind of a speciality round though.

If you really want a 308 and you do the research my guess is you'll probably end up with either a Larue (I think they make 2 models but the PredatAR 7.62 seems to be hot now) or an LMT MWS. I have zero personal experience with any of them but both companies put primo stuff out of course. LMT's MWS just won a British contract for their designated rifleman needs. Knights makes one as do others including DPMS of all people. The bad news is there is no where near the parts interchangability with the 308 platforms as there is with the 5.56 so choose well.....