• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Aircrew Instruc

None
Help me choose

Hey guys I am contemplating buying a nice .45 and I have been looking at a lot of different models and brands. What are some suggestions from you all?

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
I recently traded a Springfield Mil-spec and some change for a Kimber TLE II - the difference was night and day. Fit and finish on the Kimber is impressive, as are the night sights, match barrel, and general ergonomics. By comparison, the Mil-spec slide to frame fit was terrible and accuracy left a lot to be desired.

Definitely consider a Kimber if you want bang for your buck.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I have a Smith and Wesson 1911 Series .45 and I love it. Too big if your planning to carry, but a nice weapon. It also has a Crmison Trace laser light hand grip to ensure accuracy :)

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
1911 isn't too big to carry. I carried mine around SA and TX with no problems when it was hot out.

What kind of holster do you have? Its too heavy for a hip holster, it pulls your pants down, especially if its fully loaded. Its too big to conceal really down by your ankle unless you have really baggy pant legs. (And I meant too big if your planning to carry on a regular basis, fine for every once in a while. I'd recommend a 9mm or similar for carrying often).

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I have a Glock 21SF. I love it. Everyone who shoots it loves it. It's indestructible and accurate as holy hell. My only gripe is the mag release isn't very smooth, but unless you've got girly man hands it shouldn't be a problem. I carry it in a DeSantis OWB paddle holster. Even fully loaded with 14 230gr +P JHP's, I don't notice it unless I'm getting in and out of my car. If your pants are falling down, tighten up your belt a notch or two.

The 1911 is a fine weapon, but lacks capacity.

MasterBates

IWB holster. I walked around the riverwalk and up the new north extension and it never moved. Good quality belt (my brother made mine) and good holster.

Doublestack 1911 and 14 in the mag.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I carry a Kimber Target and an HK Tactical. Never a problem concealing it; you just need to be a fat ass like MasterBates and myself.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
IWB holster. I walked around the riverwalk and up the new north extension and it never moved. Good quality belt (my brother made mine) and good holster.

Doublestack 1911 and 14 in the mag.

Were you packing heat when we ate dinner on the Riverwalk that night? (do you remember that by the way?)