• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Depending on what you want a pistol for, you have a lot of options. If you want to start out slow, as others have noted, you can buy full sized pistol frames like a 1911 chambered in .22 (easier and CHEAPER to learn!). I have a Walther P22CA that I love to shoot while saving about .40 cents per round over my beloved M1911A1.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Really? Why not a 9mm?
I’d prefer not shoot through walls…I hate dry wall repair and spackling. 98% of B&E types will run away of you shout out…”I have a gun!” (Even if you don’t). For the other 2%, a .22 will ruin their plans as quickly as a 9mm.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’d prefer not shoot through walls…I hate dry wall repair and spackling. 98% of B&E types will run away of you shout out…”I have a gun!” (Even if you don’t). For the other 2%, a .22 will ruin their plans as quickly as a 9mm.
Pro tip, you don’t have to repair drywall if your aim is good… but you might need a mop and chlorox.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of the Walter P2 {really like mine but I've always found I have to shoot really hot rounds in it for it to cycle reliably. For the first time since my stroke last July I felt confident enough to dig out my Walther P22 and see if I could go to the range today. My left arm and hand is still quite weak. I thought the spring on the Walther slide might be something I could handle . I knew I could load the .22s in the magazine. As it turned out the only way I could operate this slide was with the grip in my left (support hand) and the slide in my right. Seemed a reasonable accommodation until I knocked the magazine off the table onto the floor, and when I looked down for it on the floor my left hand, without a mental command decided to let go of the weapon which dropped to the floor. I may just have to wait a little bit longer before I'm back to shooting. Maybe I'll try a revolver. Good news is, I would have been able to go to the range because I am back to driving. and I can almost see flying my Luscombe on the horizon.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Speaking of the Walter P2 {really like mine but I've always found I have to shoot really hot rounds in it for it to cycle reliably. For the first time since my stroke last July I felt confident enough to dig out my Walther P22 and see if I could go to the range today. my left arm and hand is still quite weak. I thought the spring on the slide might be something I could handle .I knew I could load the .22s in the magazine. As it turned out the only way I could operate this slide was with the grip in my left (support hand) and the slide in my right. Seemed a reasonable accommodation until I knocked the magazine off the table onto the floor, and when I looked down for it on the floor my left hand, without a mental command decided to let go of the weapon which dropped to the floor. I may just have to wait a little bit longer before I'm back to shooting. Maybe I'll try a revolver. Good news is, I would have been able to go to the range because I am back to driving. and I can almost see flying my Luscombe on the horizon.
Keep getting better buddy, you’ll be flying, shooting, and dancing in no time!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

What data do you base these factoids on?

A .22LR is widely regarded as insufficient for personal defense against anything bigger than a bunny rabbit. Having seen raccoons take multiple rounds without slowing down on numerous occasions, I'm inclined to agree with conventional thinking on this one. Incidentally, .22LR will also leave a hole in your drywall, albeit a smaller one, and can pass right through most builder-grade 2x4s.

In the (hopefully unlikely) event I were forced to shoot, I would regard a 9mm with modern JHP ammunition as the least caliber suited to personal and/or home defense against a human attacker.

Now if the squirrel hordes start coming for us, I'll keep the .22 by the bed. ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What data do you base this on?

A .22LR is widely regarded as insufficient for personal defense against anything bigger than a bunny rabbit. Having seen raccoons take multiple rounds without slowing down on numerous occasions, I'm inclined to agree with conventional thinking on this one. Incidentally, .22LR will also leave a hole in your drywall, albeit a smaller one, and can pass right through most builder-grade 2x4s.

I personally regard a 9mm with modern JHP ammunition as the least caliber suited to personal and/or home defense against a human attacker. Now if the squirrel hordes start coming for us, I'll keep the .22 by the bed. ;)

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The 98% is just a half-witted number…no basis is reality beyond my knowledge of human nature (I’ve had a few break in’s and yelling worked fine).

The .22 is more than enough to convince any human being to either limp away or die and I have enough combat experience to know that most people (98% 😀) can’t shoot a pistol for shit.

To go full circle, remember I lock my guns away) I simply don’t expect a sharp-shooting assassin to rob my house. These are the bottom feeders of the criminal community so I feel perfectly safe with the asp baton I keep in my night stand.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Arguing stopping power power between different calibers and bullets reminds me of the old saying about professionals talking logistics and amateurs talking tactics. What's most important is command of the situation and shot placement. It's a fact that the vast majority of handgun wounds are survived regardless of the caliber.

I once had to shoot a porcupine 3 times with a .357 mag before stopped. Human target, who knows?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The 98% is just a half-witted number…no basis is reality beyond my knowledge of human nature (I’ve had a few break in’s and yelling worked fine).

The .22 is more than enough to convince any human being to either limp away or die and I have enough combat experience to know that most people (98% 😀) can’t shoot a pistol for shit.

To go full circle, remember I lock my guns away) I simply don’t expect a sharp-shooting assassin to rob my house. These are the bottom feeders of the criminal community so I feel perfectly safe with the asp baton I keep in my night stand.

Sorry to hear you've had multiple break-ins. I'm with you some of the way though, while data vary greatly, it's clear that the mere presence of a gun has stopped far more crimes than actually firing one. Having said that, I wouldn't threaten something that I don't actually have, on the off-chance the bad guy decides to try their luck. In that event- however unlikely- I'd rather have more power, not less.

Arguing stopping power power between different calibers and bullets reminds me of the old saying about professionals talking logistics and amateurs talking tactics. What's most important is command of the situation and shot placement. It's a fact that the vast majority of handgun wounds are survived regardless of the caliber.

I once had to shoot a porcupine 3 times with a .357 mag before stopped. Human target, who knows?

As an "amateur" (e.g. not a professional, at least not anymore) training is still important. There's always someone with more expertise you can learn from, and taking up lethal force options for personal defense is an enormous responsibility. Second thought: Ethical hunting is a different use case versus defense against an immediate and deadly threat. In the latter case, the threat's survival is a possibility, even when successfully stopped. That's OK- it isn't about killing, it's about stopping.

I will also submit that if caliber *really* didn't matter for effectiveness, the military would issue .22LR sidearms since they're cheaper. That they don't says a lot about the relative merits of something bigger.

Last edited: