• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance

jlil41

I have a question concerning the NASIS security clearance form.....as most college students have/take out loans, do they need to be mentioned in financial part that discusses debt and such?

das

Contributor
Yes. The applicable counterpart on the paper SF-86 (which reflects current requirements for how such questions are to be answered) states:

"Disclose all financial obligations, including those for which you are a cosigner or a guarantor [...]"

Remember, just having debt isn't a bad thing; consider that most older folks have home and/or vehicle loans (or even educational loans for their own children).

It's having delinquent debt (90 or 180 days delinquent or any amount of delinquency on Federal debt (regardless of whether it has been sent to collections), or having liens placed against you), or appearing to have too many obligations compared to what you earn, that is a bad thing...

When answering security questionnaires, always provide all information as asked for unless it is specifically and explicitly excluded.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Yes, as das said, debt isn't the issue. It's the timely repayment they want to see.
Always volunteer information you want addressed. If they find something out that you didn't mention, you're going to look one or both of negligent or dishonest.

jlil41

Thanks for the help!! I am having a problem though, I have completed the entire form and I was trying to view it as the SF 86 form to see where I should put the part about student loans because nothing of the sort is mentioned in the other part. So when I tried to bring up the form it gives me an error (OAR-00942 table or view......), do you guys know what I should do other than contact my recruiter? I even downloaded the new Adobe to view it. Again, I still do not know where to write about the loans.......my apologies if I sound completely retarded, I just want to get it right. Thanks.

jlil41

I will add this, I won't be graduating college until May '10 so do I still need to report it event though I still have time to pay back the student loans?

Gus Gorilla

Yes. Add the loans.
A basic credit check will reveal your student loans. Don't sweat them. Think about this. Officers have college degrees. Don't you think most of them have college debt? Answer YES here.
It's not bad debt and so long as you are current on any other outstanding debt it will be OK unless it is ridiculously large. I submitted with 60K on a house, (which I'm not only current, but ahead on) plus 5K on a vehicle. (also ahead) That comes out at 65K in debt and I was approved. The key is that I have never missed a payment. Debt is not necessarily bad. Just be your debt's master, not vice versa.

das

Contributor
jlil41, the completed form is only viewable by your recruiter or security personnel. Just tell him or her you're done.

alpha6, even though you're already pro-recced, I'd contact your recruiter and ask what you should do.