• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance question

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Wow, I have realized that if I get bored WRITING the post then everyone is going to get bored reading it and probably not respond. So, cliff notes version:
1. I have a package submitted for the CEC DCO board.
a. The package was submitted in November for the December board but got pushed to the April board.
2. I completed my SF-86 twice.
a. First time was in July.
b. The second time was in early November after I was told that NASIS changed something in their database or such and everyone whose investigations had not bee initiated needed to be redone.
3. My fingerprints were taken when I completed MEPS in October and were submitted with the signed SF-86 documentation as part of my complete DCO package at the end of November.
4. My civilian employer is now wanting to sponsor me for a security clearance.
5. I told the security officer of the company that I had already submitted the SF-86 et al as part of my DCO package.
a. He was thrilled because he is a retired CEC officer, lol.
6. He went into JPAS today to locate my package and 'take over the sponsorship'.
7. He was unable to find my package on JPAS and told me to contact my recruiter or the NRD security officer.
8. My OR was unavailable this morning and so I called the NRD, got the usual runaround until about 8 people later I was put in touch with the person who deals with accession security clearance paperwork.
9. I was told that my signature pages and fingerprints were not submitted in the package sent to the processor. (From my understanding this person works with the processor in that particular office.)
10. I was then informed that it would likely cause problems with confirming my clearance should I re-do everything through e-QIPS under my civilian employer and subsequently be selected.
a. The solution was to re-open my NASIS package by re-doing my fingerprints/signature pages and then letting my civilian security officer take over the sponsorship once the package hits JPAS.

My questions now.
1. Will my clearance paperwork even make it to JPAS before the board or will they wait for a pro-rec/selection before initiating anything other than acknowledging that the paperwork has been sent to them?
2. How long is an SF-86 valid? I was told that the fingerprints were only good for 4 months, does the same hold for the other paperwork?
3. Would it really mess up my paperwork if my civilian employer had me go through e-QIPS to initiate the investigation and obtain a security clearance? I imagine that with wait times from board to commissioning that the investigation would be complete by the time I would commission if selected.
4. Any advice on how to get through this situation without wanting to tear out my hair? :D

And even my cliff notes version is long. Sorry!

exNavyOffRec

I don't remember the time limit on the SF86, but in general while signature cards are collected nothing is supposed to actually be started until a pro rec happens, this is all about the cost of the clearance.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I don't remember the time limit on the SF86, but in general while signature cards are collected nothing is supposed to actually be started until a pro rec happens, this is all about the cost of the clearance.
Thanks! From the sound of it I should probably try and find out how complicated it would make matters to just go through my employer and take that route.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
You've probably got a more decent chance of getting your clearance quicker through your civilian employer. The Navy most likely isn't going to put effort into actually getting you the clearance until it looks like you'll need it. filling out those forms multiple times is not uncommon. When you actually need to get it done, somehow that most recent form you sent in miraculously generates an investigator...

Renegade One

None
Thanks! From the sound of it I should probably try and find out how complicated it would make matters to just go through my employer and take that route.
Whichever way you go…save copies of everythingevery time you submit. Worksheets, final forms, etc. Makes life easier every 5 years or so. Don't ask me why...