• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance Question

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
No. It pays you back to the day you swear in. That day will be on all your records as your date of entry into service.
Oh yeah, obviously. My bad. That's what I was thinking of. Accepting your final select, if you will.

And you're probably not going to get paid for a while. I think my first deposit ended up being like 5 grand or something ridiculous because it took them so long.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
To add to this, keep a copy (either hard copy or trons) because your clearance has a 5 year shelf life and you have to resubmit the form to restart the process. I can't remember what the address of my house at my last squadron was, but for the form you need to give a 10 year history. Keep a copy since it will have all your old addresses and it makes updating your new clearance paperwork a whole lot easier!!

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
threadjack- interviews?

Slight threadjack...

I am having an interview soon for my initial security clearance. Is this a new thing? I wasn't aware I'd be having an interview.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Slight threadjack...

I am having an interview soon for my initial security clearance. Is this a new thing? I wasn't aware I'd be having an interview.

Ya I met a guy to go over some stuff while I was in college (BDCP). Not a big deal. Mostly just going over stuff I'd put down to clarify it.

Meanwhile, 3 years later and no progress....

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Ya I met a guy to go over some stuff while I was in college (BDCP). Not a big deal. Mostly just going over stuff I'd put down to clarify it.

Meanwhile, 3 years later and no progress....

Yeah, I agree with trunk, double check on that. When I was enlisted a buddy of mine was on hold waiting to start nuke power school for almost a year because his clearance hadn't came through. He walked into stu-con one day and noticed two digits on his social security number were switched. They fixed it and he had his clearance within a week.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I would have your security manager check on that. Clearances do take a long time, but they should not be taking 3 years. I typically ping OPM or DoNCAF when I see something take over a year.

I know, I am. It came up when I went to SERE that I .... didn't have a clearance yet. Turns out someone had to do a little leg work but instead decided to put my package down and stop working on it (parents are dual citizens). Anyway, went to SERE on an interim and was told to figure it out in the RAG.

So they are finishing it up now, and if not... then I'll be talking to my security manager.

sciguy

Pro-Rec Supply
OK, this is going to be a very specific question. Someone (in Millington, I think) was going through my paperwork and questioned the reason for termination from one of my past jobs. I was neither fired nor left under unfavorable conditions so I did not remark on the reason for termination. My dispatcher said I now need to write a statement explaining my reason for termination and a clarification for the reason for termination on my SF-86. Does this sound weird to anyone else or is this just one more step in the long process of getting a security clearance?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
OK, this is going to be a very specific question. Someone (in Millington, I think) was going through my paperwork and questioned the reason for termination from one of my past jobs. I was neither fired nor left under unfavorable conditions so I did not remark on the reason for termination. My dispatcher said I now need to write a statement explaining my reason for termination and a clarification for the reason for termination on my SF-86. Does this sound weird to anyone else or is this just one more step in the long process of getting a security clearance?

By paperwork, are you referring to your Application for Commission or to the SF-86 itself?

On the SF-86, Section 11, YOUR EMPLOYMENT ACTIVITIES, you are required to list your employers. There is not a check box in that section whereby you list why you left said employer. In Section 22, YOUR EMPLOYMENT RECORD, however, the form asks:

Code:
Has any of the following happened to you in the last 7 years?

If "Yes," begin with the most recent occurrence and go backward,
providing date fired, quit, or left, and other information requested.

Use the following codes and explain the reason your employment was ended:
  1 - Fired from a job
  2 - Quit a job after being told you?d be fired
  3 - Left a job by mutual agreement following allegations of misconduct
  4 - Left a job by mutual agreement following allegations of unsatisfactory performance
  5 - Left a job for other reasons under unfavorable circumstances
If 1 - 5 do not apply to you, then the only option on the SF-86 is to check "NO."

However, on your Application for Commission, Section III Professional Information, there is a box next to each employer that asks, "Reason for Termination." If you left those blank, then that might be the cause of your problem. If this was the case, did your recruiter quality-check those forms prior to sending them off?

When I filled my application out, I put something similar to the following in that box for each employer: "Left under favorable circumstances to accept a new position that afforded more opportunity for professional growth."