• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance Disqualifers

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecode81

Lets say I get accepted intel, what would disqualify my from recieving top secret clearance? Arrest and a Juvi? Anti-depressants? Living Over Seas?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are all of these on your record?

Oh, and there is no such thing as a "sealed juvenile record".

STA-21-INTEL

Anything in your past should be on your record. I've gone over this in detail in a couple of other threads (you can do a search) but basically, the investigators are ALOT more forgiving of past transgressions that you fess up to and give them the impression that you have moved on with your life. If you don't declare something, and they find it (they WILL find it), it looks like it is something you are ashamed of and therefore a potential security risk (think blackmail). I have seen many cases where they forgive far worse infractions that were listed on the SF-86 and denied clearances for much more trivial that were not included.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, definatately better to over report possible infractions then under report them, because they will find them if they exist. Overseas living is okay. Getting arrested isn't a deal breaker in itself- the charges and the dispositions can be (well more so the disposition). Make sure you have proof when you tell the investigator that a case was dismissed or what not, (like a certified copy of your docet sheet). Background investigators can be your friend, or you enemy don't give them any extra reason to be your enemy.

STA-21-INTEL

It depends on the infraction, but you are better off in any case if it is declared vs. not declared. ASSUME THEY WILL FIND IT!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
thecode81 said:
Lets say I get accepted intel, what would disqualify my from recieving top secret clearance? Arrest and a Juvi? Anti-depressants? Living Over Seas?

I don't think taking Prozac is a disqualifier for a TS. Mental illness is a lot more understood these days as a bonafide medical condition. I wouldn't go advertising the fact that you were treated for depression but I wouldn't purger myself either.

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
anti-depressants are a disquilifier at MEPS though...my friend (applied for swo a couple years ago) got the DQ because of Paxil. He was off of the medication when he went in for his physical but he did list previously taking it on his medical questionaire (as he should have) you definately do not want to lie or "not mention" something. Not sure how they are looked at as far as your security clearance but if you are DQed physically it wont matter.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
everything shows up in a database called the 'national crime information center'.

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm

your federal investigators have access to it, but a civilian employer, for example, does not. anything federal, and you can bet it will be tapped. expunged records show up as whatever the initial conviction was, 'pre-expunged', and then 'expunged'. even if you've been arrested, and not charged, the arrest still shows up in the database. juvenile records show up. therefore, it is always, always in your best interest to disclose anything and everything that may be in your past. in not doing so, should your recruiter and/or investigators find out about them on his/her own, this will point to lack of character and integrity on your part-- something that the military is definitely not seeking.

living overseas shouldn't be a problem, depending on what you did when you were there, and who your references are. i have friends who have spent decades in communist/fascist countries, and while their clearances took a little longer, they were still cleared. (oh, and some of them were also fairly serious drug users when they were in high school.)

Status
Not open for further replies.