• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance / Conflict of interest..

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I really wasn't sure the best place to ask this, so mods feel free to move if there is a better place, and sorry in advance if that is the case...

Question: I currently work at a retail store which may or may not be Best Buy ;) in the computer repair area. I'm starting grad school in the spring and have been actively working on starting a side business with some friends. It's a legit busines for computer repair, and we are a registered corporation and everything. I'm not the President, my friend is, so my name isn't on anything yet.

The issue is, it's a conflict of interest with this retail store.. Now I honestly can give a rats ass about what the company thinks is right or wrong in terms of conflict of interest because they're just another greedy corporate company. But what I do care about is what the security investigator may think of the action. I am however being ethical about it, ex: not giving out business cards or deliberatly short selling or sending customers over to my company while at work. I go there, punch in, and forget anything about the company and work hard as normal until I punch out.

I don't exactly want to quit yet because it's stable income (decent pay) and the business might not work out.. But could this cause some friction if I decide to start working with my company before I quit the retail store? I know I will have to add it to the SF86 and I don't know if I'd be doing anything wrong in the security investigators eyes.. So that's why I'm asking for your guy's opinion/help.

Will there be any concern for granting my security clearance if they happen to see me working for two company's and happen to think (probably slim chance but I'm not an expert) there is a conflict of interest going on? Would they even care?

Btw, I was accepted as a alternate SNA, so my investigation I'd imagine is about to start..

Thanks to all in advance..

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Will there be any concern for granting my security clearance if they happen to see me working for two company's and happen to think (probably slim chance but I'm not an expert) there is a conflict of interest going on? Would they even care?

No.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Security clearances worry about a few things:
Did you break the law?
Are you conducting personal activities that someone could use as blackmail to get to you betray your country? (This could be as simple as not paying your taxes)
Are you trustworthy? (Things like do you drink excessively or use recreational drugs)

I would recommend that you disclose the fact your working for two companies (I don't see how that's a conflict of interest) because if they check your tax records and see your have multiple income streams, they may start to dig deeper.

Rule of thumb, be up front with the investigator. If he/she starts to see that things are amiss, then they will get out the backhoe and start digging to get to the truth.
You then look less than trustworthy, because you obviously were hiding the fact that your cousin, who you haven't spoken to in 10 years lives in England. And even though you don't know her married name, her husband's name, the city she lives in or what she does for a job; you were obviously hiding that from the gov't because she might try to co-opt you and make you betray your country.
(Not that something like that EVER happened to me, of course....)

My advice, be upfront with the investigator. Otherwise, they could put a sticky note on your record and it come back to haunt you later on.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wonder if they had a problem with my clearance, as my wife's name is "Al" as well.... :)

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Turned out one of my three personal references who had "known me over the last 10 years" was a convicted federal felon when my TS investigation was done. He never told me. he was convicted between the time I listed him and when they actually started my investigation. They never called him...I think the FBI already knew enough about him at that point. oops.