• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance and Foreign Marriage Question

warface

Banned
Will marrying a Russian girl (born, raised and living in a country that was once part of the USSR) ruin my chances of getting a security clearance?

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
You will need to be honest and thorough, and start gathering info on all your in-laws early. It will be a headache. But no, no one thing like that should totally shut down the chances you will get a clearance.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The real answer is.... Maybe. Does your new Russian wife have a father who just happened to be a Colonel in the KGB (you laugh, I know a guy who may not be a Marine much longer because he can't get a security clearance for this reason). As Trunk monkey says, make sure you know about her family so there are no surprises, and realize that she may have some type of crazy connection that may limit the type or prevent you all together from getting your clearance.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
"Security Clearance", I would venture a guess that it will create a few more hoops to jump through but doable. Most often your "jacket" will be reviewed more often.

But a TS/SCI or Q clearance? I would say "no way", it will not happen except in certain most unusual circumstances. That is why they call it a clearance.

One of the real issues is that the investigative folks are unable to probe backgrounds in those exotic evil empire worlds. To deny they do not have find find something negative, just a finding of incomplete investigation.

warface

Banned
Yes I am talking about a "Top Secret" Security Clearance since you need that to be a Navy Pilot.
Are you serious about your "no way" answer Chief? I'm taking your post very seriously.
It will affect whom I marry.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
You don't need a TS to be a Navy pilot. There are certain situations where you need it, but it's not a requirement overall.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
We're told on checking in for advanced that we can't start the VFA RAG until our TS is complete. I'm curious as to what pilots don't need a TS - helo guys maybe?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
..... Are you serious about your "no way" answer Chief? ......

Granting of security clearance involves a lot of hocus pocus. The answer to your question can be found with the grantor of the clearance. The process involves you filling out a security “questionaire”. For some levels of clearance, that form is reviewed by the investigative folks and if all appears well, a recommendation is sent to the “grantor”. Other levels require a complete background with interviews of, primarily, the folks you list on your form, which include all immediate family members, or even an extended background involving folks that know the folks you list.. Let us say for the sake of argument one of those members is in Iran. While there is nothing wrong with that per se, the investigative folks cannot travel to Iran to do their “investigation”. This and others information is sent back to the Grantor who in the final analysis, makes the decision. In addition if one would have 15 immediate family members, all in Russia, the cost factor for the interviews may result in a negative recommendation.

Some items acquired along the way:

Admiral Cook, when an Ensign, was on Bataan just before it fell to the Japanese. He left on a PT boat for Australia. Had friends on the Bataan Death March. 35 years later, as an Admiral, and a grantor of clearances would not allow any security clearances to anyone married to a Japanese National, regardless. As I said, hocus pocus, not subject to any “oversight”.

I have seen security clearances at the TS/SCI/TK level granted without any investigation. Granted on the spot. (Presidential panel, CEOs of large corporations, limited access)

Couple years ago GF was from behind the Iron Curtain, actually worked for the GRU, not by choice. Some 15 years after that with the US Government she had security clearances that were higher than mine. She also had a Freedom Medal from her country of origin for work to bring down the Iron Curtain.

At the end of the day, the grantor makes the decision to grant or not to grant, based on guidance/policy, the results of the investigation and the most important factor, HOW BADLY THE GRANTOR NEEDS YOU. Sort of “needs of the Navy”.

In my view, given lack of any substantive information, I would guess a Secret clearance would not be a problem, TS leve just may be a problem. Highest levels, probably not.

Just trying to be of some help, tough decision.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
There is a guy on here that is Iranian! I am surprised he hasn't said anything about this so far. He is in API with no issues, so you should perhaps try to find this guy and talk to him. Plus, the Iron Curtain has been down for 20+ years, things have changed. Not allowing you to get TS or whatever clearance because your wife is Russian is just insane and it is simply not true that they won't allow you, no offense Chief.
I have been told by my OR and program coordinator, your wife has nothing to do with your security clearance. Furthermore, when I did my interview with the security people, I told them that my wife is Russian, they wrote that down and moved on to asking me about my drinking ticket that I had 10+ years ago. No questions were asked about her family, friends, or anything that has to do with her, except for name and B-day. The inspector did ask me about my family connections outside of the States though. Bottom line, they are giving you the clearance not her.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I have been told by my OR and program coordinator, your wife has nothing to do with your security clearance. Furthermore, when I did my interview with the security people, I told them that my wife is Russian, they wrote that down and moved on to asking me about my drinking ticket that I had 10+ years ago. No questions were asked about her family, friends, or anything that has to do with her, except for name and B-day. The inspector did ask me about my family connections outside of the States though. Bottom line, they are giving you the clearance not her.

Your OR is wrong. Your wife and her connections back to her homeland are a factor in a clearance determination. That being said, having a foreign born wife is not an automatic disqualification but it can delay any adjudication. I have worked with numerous people with foreign born spouses as well as native speakers who now have TS/SCI accesses over the last 25 years. It's all about foreign entanglements.