• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second Visual Acuity Test - Astigmatism

Whitingorbust

Well, I found out from NAMI two days prior to commissioning that I have an astigmatism in my left eye of -1.25 which disqualifies me for being designated and SNA. I decided to delay commissioning as an SNFO to get retested, considering I am so close to the limit of -1.00, and when I initially got tested I had only had a couple hours of sleep the night before. I got my new exam coming in a couple of days and was wondering if anyone here was near the limit was able to pass? Any advice on how to prepare? Right now I am just planning on chugging water and trying to get as much sleep as possible. Also, can you use eye drops immediately prior to the exam? Thanks for the help!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Plenty of rest, sunglasses, hydrate, no liquor, no smoking, no aerobic exercise for about 12 hours prior, ...that should do it.

torpedo0126

the question of eye drops has come up and was never completely resolved (to my knowledge).

I used eye drops while I was waiting for my exam (this was post-PRK though when they were still dry)...no one said anything and I don't believe any documentation said otherwise.

I recommend Systane having tried those, Thera Tears (not sure if thats how you spell it) and one other brand...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't know of any current rule prohibiting the use of drops. Seems like it would be pretty well known if it was against protocol.

jtmedli

pilot
the question of eye drops has come up and was never completely resolved (to my knowledge).

I used eye drops while I was waiting for my exam (this was post-PRK though when they were still dry)...no one said anything and I don't believe any documentation said otherwise.

I recommend Systane having tried those, Thera Tears (not sure if thats how you spell it) and one other brand...

I second this post!! Systane and Optive are good stuff. I had the same problem man...exact same problem -1.25 and all.

Whitingorbust

Thanks all, I picked up some of the preservative free Systane vials and plan on using them tomorrow prior to the exam. From just sucking water the past day or so I have had slightly better vision in both eyes, so hopefully that carries on into tomorrow.

Jtmedli, were you able to get your astigmatism down to -1.00?

Thanks for the advice, will try to post the results when I know.

jtmedli

pilot
Thanks all, I picked up some of the preservative free Systane vials and plan on using them tomorrow prior to the exam. From just sucking water the past day or so I have had slightly better vision in both eyes, so hopefully that carries on into tomorrow.

Jtmedli, were you able to get your astigmatism down to -1.00?

Thanks for the advice, will try to post the results when I know.

My right eye is good to go, but my left eye is the only thing holding up my flight physical. I had the PRK redone about 2 weeks ago so we'll see in a few weeks if it's fixed. I think they got me squared away, but PRK being what it is, the healing process is somewhat dynamic over the first month and a half.

The systane and other drops will help, but they won't make it go away completely. I'm never heard the water suggestion. Couldn't hurt though!!

Whitingorbust

The optometrist I saw in Norfolk got my left eye down to -.75 and right down to -.50 astigmatism, so it looks like sleep and water really helped. I also told her my situation and she helped me out a little bit making sure I knew what she was doing and how my eyes looked. Now I am just trying to argue with NAMI to give me back my SNA designator, which for whatever reason they are reluctant to do. It seems everything I have heard about NAMI on this forum is true and then some.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'd also suggest wearing sunglasses until the time of testing. My OSO advised me to do this prior to getting evaluated for the SCL Waiver. Any little bit may help.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
so -1.0 is acceptable? I just found out today that I have a slight astigmatism of -1.0 which was correctable to 20/15. FYI my distant vision was 20/25 and near vision was 20/20 which is within limits and I haven't had PRK or any other surgery.

EDIT: Found the limits in a search.

"Refractive Limits: If uncorrected distant visual acuity is less than 20/20 either eye, a manifest refraction must be recorded for the correction required to attain 20/20. If the candidate?s distant visual acuity is 20/20, a manifest refraction is not required. Total myopia may not be greater than -1.50 diopters in any meridian, total hyperopia no greater than +3.00 diopters in any meridian, or astigmatism no greater than -1.00 diopters. The astigmatic correction shall be reported in minus cylinder format."