• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second thoughts SNA..

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I was in the Air Force and got out with the vision of becoming an Officer and Pilot. I was lucky enough after 5 yrs of hard work to get selected as a Pilot in the Navy on my second attempt. I'm on the alternate list as of now.

I was going to try Air Force but I couldn't get good scores on the AFOQT (two trys) but did pretty well on the ASTB (first attempt).. It was really exciting for me and I just passed meps today which I figured with all my issues I'd at least need a waiver and I was cleared with no required waivers.. (really shocking).

I'm 27 now, and when I set sail for this I was 22 or so.. I was away at college and couldn't wait to be done so I could get back in the military. I've been done with college for over a year now, and have been static with work, and working at a retail job, until I figured out what was going on with the military.. Living back at home and being close to family and obtaining the freedom to see my family everyday is quit nice..

I have recently been starting to have second thoughts about leaving home again and rejoining the military. Idk if this is normal or not especially since a pilot contract is 10yrs. I keep tearing myself up because it's a dream job but yet my family is really important to me. I have a 3 yr old dog I'm pretty attached to that I know I will not be able to bring with me (I know I know). I think the older I get the more my priorities are changing.

Today going back to meps and having to deal with that stress of being treated like I was 16 (well until they realized I was a Officer Candidate) having to follow instructions to a T or get attitude from the meps staff reminds me what I'm not missing about the military.

I guess I'm confused because I'm worried if I'm making the right decision anymore.. but then again I still want to fly for the military, I just don't know if I will enjoy being far away from family for so long.. The folks are only getting older and I will be almost 40 when I get out, parents will be mid to late 60's. At 22-23.. getting out at 33 didn't sound too bad..

I guess also, since I have options, I've been thinking about doing grad school and as a computer scientist with a master's how much money I could make..

I'm sure I'm not the first person to deal with this.. Am I just getting cold feet the more realistic leaving for OCS gets..? Or is it the older I get the more comfortable I am with where I'm at?
I know many youngsters joining are inspired by the movies and the thought of going really fast in a jet.. That was my mindset when I was 19-20.. Now that I'm 27, I think about everything, family, going through bootcamp again, the risks of being a pilot in the military.. Different mindset which I'm sure some can relate. I just wonder if this is possibly normal for someone my age, or if this is a big redflag.

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm generally a very motivated person and whatever I set my mind to, I accomplish, and I've made it this far, but I guess it's starting to become a shock that it's actually happening..

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Do it. What do you think you'll be kicking yourself in the ass more for in 10 years? Not taking a pilot slot, or taking your pilot slot and dealing with having a job that pays you to go fly, vice doing whatever it is people with real jobs do?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I'm on the tail end of this gig. I retire in 310 days. Four times I have had the chance to walk. I was falsely enlisted. I was a part of the early nineties drawdown. I completed my winging obligation. I completed my bonus obligation. Each time I wondered if I was making the right decision. Bottom line...as stated above...you have one shot at this..the other stuff will still be there later.

Tough/challenging times? Sure

Regrets? None.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Thanks guys, you're right about that. Just a tough decision, eventually I'd probably adjust if I did get a little homesick. I guess I was just worried if what I was feeling is normal in some way.. Which it appears to be.

Flyboyd, what do you mean you were falsely enlisted?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll tell you one thing: some days this Navy Air gig does kinda suck. But I can guarantee you you'll never find yourself at a bar trying to convince everyone you could have been an insurance adjuster. Homesick for your dog? Come on, dude. You've got the rest of your life to stay home.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll tell you one thing: some days this Navy Air gig does kinda suck. But I can guarantee you you'll never find yourself at a bar trying to convince everyone you could have been an insurance adjuster. Homesick for your dog? Come on, dude. You've got the rest of your life to stay home.

That's a point now that I never considered when I joined. I don't ever feel the need to defend what I do in life or who I am. When at the bar, my Air Force classmates always introduce me to others not simply as being "in the Navy" but instead as a naval aviator. It's that identity that others on the outside are curious about.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

Well it's not just for the dog obviously but family as a whole.. but I get what you guys are saying.. It's something I will kick myself for 10 yrs from now probably if I don't do it. And like any job.. it has it's ups and downs I'm sure.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Well it's not just for the dog obviously but family as a whole.. but I get what you guys are saying.. It's something I will kick myself for 10 yrs from now probably if I don't do it. And like any job.. it has it's ups and downs I'm sure.
I swear I'll personally kick you myself if you don't;)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Flyboyd, what do you mean you were falsely enlisted?

Long story but, basically I was contacted by a Navy lawyer (maybe Navy IG?) after boot camp and informed that my recruiter cut quite a few corners and did not complete all the necessary paperwork to enlist me....something about viewing some videos and reading some stuff that required my initials upon completion. Evidently, he "forgot" and signed it for me. According to the lawyer, I was one of many. I had to meet with the BOOST OIC and they offered me a ticket home if I didn't want to stay. I never found out what happened to him, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Everyone gets SOME hint of doubt at OCS regardless of how die-hard they were going in... at least everyone I spoke with did... that's how it's DESIGNED: to make you REALLY think hard and dig deep to ensure you truly want it. If you go IN with doubts... I wouldn't bet money on you making it through without DORing. Not a personal attack or anything, but I have seen how formerly gung-ho people lost faith and motivation and DORed. I'd say square away any issues in your head LONG before you walk through those gates.

KBayDog

OP: I'm not going to tell you to go to OCS.

What I will tell you is that if you're on the fence, or leaning towards not going, make that decision before you ship to OCS. There are hundreds (possibly thousands) who don't need convincing/reassuring that they want to be Navy officers/Aviators, and would give their left [insert part of anatomy here] to be in your shoes with a SNA slot right now.

I'd be pissed if I was a candidate just as qualified as you, but due to luck or timing didn't get a SNA slot...and then watched you, with your slot, DOR because you weren't really sure it was the right thing for you.

Read: Don't go to OCS unless you're 100% sure you want to be a Navy officer.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
OP: I'm not going to tell you to go to OCS.

What I will tell you is that if you're on the fence, or leaning towards not going, make that decision before you ship to OCS. There are hundreds (possibly thousands) who don't need convincing/reassuring that they want to be Navy officers/Aviators, and would give their left [insert part of anatomy here] to be in your shoes with a SNA slot right now.

I'd be pissed if I was a candidate just as qualified as you, but due to luck or timing didn't get a SNA slot...and then watched you, with your slot, DOR because you weren't really sure it was the right thing for you.

Read: Don't go to OCS unless you're 100% sure you want to be a Navy officer.

I agree 100% but I think my issue is being prior service, and remember how it was the first time I left when I was 18. And so I know whats coming again and the anxieties that come with it, as opposed to some guy excited to fly. Either way I do feel better about the idea hearing your guys stories... Sooner or later like anything you adjust.

Flyboyd,

Was that an officer recruiter? Or by enlisted do you mean you are prior service enlisted? and yea that seems pretty shDy.

Sent via motorola defy

jtmedli

pilot
Everyone gets SOME hint of doubt at OCS regardless of how die-hard they were going in... at least everyone I spoke with did... that's how it's DESIGNED.

This is completely legit. I worked for years for my chance at OCS and definitely had doubts while I was there. Didn't get my flight physical cleared until 24 hours before graduation, almost broke my ankle/severely sprained it 2 days before a mando-PFT, failed RLP the first time, and to be perfectly honest OCS just sucks balls.

At the end of the day, my medical was cleared, I ran that PFT with my junk in the tightest ankle brace EVER and ran a 10 min 1.5'er, passed RLP on the second try, and just pushed through the overall shitty-ness of the whole thing and got what I went there for: my commission.

I agree 100% but I think my issue is being prior service, and remember how it was the first time I left when I was 18. And so I know whats coming again and the anxieties that come with it, as opposed to some guy excited to fly. Either way I do feel better about the idea hearing your guys stories... Sooner or later like anything you adjust.

Dude, not to be a jerk, but you're not 18 anymore. You're 27. You've got a shot at flying multi-million dollar airplanes everyday for the next 10-20 years and doing the kind of shit that automatically makes you pretty damn cool (if you're not a huge douchebag). Does it suck at times: HELL YES IT DOES....BUT....there are plenty of days that make it all worth it. If you think that sitting in a cubicle for a living so you can spend time with the dog and your Mom and Dad then, by all means, let someone else who actually wants it have your spot.

With that said, I feel your pain. My grandmother's health has been degrading since I started primary and she's been in the hospital for months. I wish that I could be at home and spend time with her before she's gone. Do I miss my dogs? Hell yes. Do I miss seeing my parents and my friends from home? Hell yes. BUT, ya know what they say to me everytime I talk to them? (Hint: I'm gonna tell you)....They say one of two things: 1) "I can't even imagine what your life is like" or 2) "What you're doing is incredible. I'd give anything to be able to do that".

My short and sweet advice for you: Either get motivated and get your ass in gear and go get that commission as an SNA or get out of the way so someone else can. Youve got to find it within yourself to actually want it. Nothing anyone here says to you will matter 15 mins after checking in at OCS. All that will matter is whether or not you actually, no shit, want to be there.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
This is completely legit. I worked for years for my chance at OCS and definitely had doubts while I was there. Didn't get my flight physical cleared until 24 hours before graduation, almost broke my ankle/severely sprained it 2 days before a mando-PFT, failed RLP the first time, and to be perfectly honest OCS just sucks balls.

At the end of the day, my medical was cleared, I ran that PFT with my junk in the tightest ankle brace EVER and ran a 10 min 1.5'er, passed RLP on the second try, and just pushed through the overall shitty-ness of the whole thing and got what I went there for: my commission.

Dude, not to be a jerk, but you're not 18 anymore. You're 27. You've got a shot at flying multi-million dollar airplanes everyday for the next 10-20 years and doing the kind of shit that automatically makes you pretty damn cool (if you're not a huge douchebag). Does it suck at times: HELL YES IT DOES....BUT....there are plenty of days that make it all worth it. If you think that sitting in a cubicle for a living so you can spend time with the dog and your Mom and Dad then, by all means, let someone else who actually wants it have your spot.

I know what you mean.. times are different I guess, it's just those bad memories of bmt and those last goodbyes I remember before seeing anyone again for almost 9 months. The thought of doing it again just plane sucks..

With that said, I feel your pain. My grandmother's health has been degrading since I started primary and she's been in the hospital for months. I wish that I could be at home and spend time with her before she's gone. Do I miss my dogs? Hell yes. Do I miss seeing my parents and my friends from home? Hell yes. BUT, ya know what they say to me everytime I talk to them? (Hint: I'm gonna tell you)....They say one of two things: 1) "I can't even imagine what your life is like" or 2) "What you're doing is incredible. I'd give anything to be able to do that".
It's nice to hear it from someone else.. Because usually all I read on here is how people are all excited to be in the Navy and I never hear anyone express concern for leaving family, so I was starting to wonder if it was a bad sign.. And yea my parents were proud of me being a crewchief I'm sure they'd be ecstatic for a pilot. I think a lot of people going in it doesn't hit them until they are in or unless they've gone through it.. I remember when I first left for the USAF, I didn't think of those things until the last night before I left and when I was in boot..

My short and sweet advice for you: Either get motivated and get your ass in gear and go get that commission as an SNA or get out of the way so someone else can. Youve got to find it within yourself to actually want it. Nothing anyone here says to you will matter 15 mins after checking in at OCS. All that will matter is whether or not you actually, no shit, want to be there.
[/QUOTE]

Honestly I'm glad I posted on here.. I was a little reluctant because I figured I'd just get shit for it. But I'm already getting remotivated, I think I just needed to know I wasn't the only one who had this stuff on my mind is all.. Like all of you siad I'd hate to waste my time, or ruin it for someone else if I got there and was already ready to come home.. Which the more I think about it doesn't seem to be the case.

I remember many times calling home every weekend and my parents telling me the same stuff.. they're just grocery shopping.. cleaning the house and maybe something like my dad changed the oil on his car.. while I was telling him all this exciting stuff I was doing.. Same with my friends. You get home and tell them everything you did while they're still working at kmart or something.. still "finding themselves." I guess I forgot about all that stuff..

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Flyboyd,

Was that an officer recruiter? Or by enlisted do you mean you are prior service enlisted?.

I'll go ahead and get a little grumpy now. I just got through running and my knees hurt.

You could have answered your own question by:
1- reading my profile
2-googling Navy BOOST

Instead you were lazy and just decided to ask someone who has been in the Navy since 1988 if he knows the difference between an officer recruiter and an enlisted recruiter and question if he used the word enlisted correctly.

If you are saying to yourself "what a dick" ...fine. I probably won't be here (308 days until retirement) if/when you come through Corpus but you can expect similar treatment from others around you if you tend to live with your foot in your mouth.

If this post bothers you, and you don't see that I am trying to help, don't go to OCS.