• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second Methacholine Challenge Test?

navyterp67

pilot
I've searched on here and other places, but I can't seem to find an answer.

My NROTC scholarship was denied at first because of a history of asthma. I took a Methacholine Challenge Test and I passed, so now I am on scholarship.

My question is, do I have to take this test again for my flight physical junior (2/C) year, even though I already passed it for my Navy ROTC scholarship? Has anybody heard of someone else in this same situation?

Thanks.

vulcanx

Banned
I'm in the same boat as you and all the sources I've heard from this website say that no, you don't have to retake it.

Once you get the waiver, you are golden.

I know how you feel though, because that test blew chunks.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Methacholine Challenge...sounds like fun....not.

navyterp67

pilot
vulcanx:

Well that's good news!

It's good to know somebody else is familiar with the near-impossible task that is the Methacholine Challenge test. I passed, but not with a lot of room. I really don't want to take that again.

Schnugg:

You have no idea how fun that test is. Breathing exhaustion for 2 hours... I still have nightmares about it :D

red_ryder

None
I took it, but I didn't feel anything. Still, it was a huge pain in the ass at the time to go through all that, especially if an NPQ is on the line.

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
vulcanx:

You have no idea how fun that test is. Breathing exhaustion for 2 hours... I still have nightmares about it :D

2 hours that sucks. I had one last December, but it only took me like 45 minutes. I think that once the waiver goes through you should be good to go.
However I would not be surprised if it happened again later on down the line.

vulcanx

Banned
My mom wanted to wait in the test room with me because I think I was 17 when I took it (back in high school) and she was literally crying because of how I looked. But I didn't think it was that bad from my perspective.

Anyway, shitty test all around and mine was about 2 hours as well.

Airborne502nd

I would be in the same in needing to take the test, so I know what the test is for. What I was wondering is, what actually do you do in or during the test and what is the procedure? What was your experience from doing the test? Finally did you do anything to prepare for the test?

Thanks

vulcanx

Banned
I would be in the same in needing to take the test, so I know what the test is for. What I was wondering is, what actually do you do in or during the test and what is the procedure? What was your experience from doing the test? Finally did you do anything to prepare for the test?

Thanks
There is nothing I can think of to prepare for it.

What you do is inhale chemicals out of a tube that are designed to cause an asthma attack (or something similar) and breathe out in an attempt to measure lung capacity given presence of bad chemicals. You do this multiple times and multiple levels of the chemicals and it sucks.

I didn't feel anything like an asthma attack or restricted breathing which is why I guess I passed, but the huffing and puffing really gets to you.

Keep in mind it has been about 4 years since that test, so the details are fuzzy.

Gnar

I just found out today that i have to get this test done :(. Shit seems scary. My doc would not let even take the Methyl test until I took a initial pulmonary function test (PFT). I passed the PFT with flying colors, 125% over predicted. Just hope I can pass the Methyl test....

red_ryder

None
If you don't have no-kidding-asthma, don't worry about it. It's not any kind of "challenge" where it makes it harder to breathe. You just breath in a tube for awhile and take deep breaths. No sweat.