• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mallard

This may be a stupid question, but I know very little about hte OCS program. Are you pretty well secluded while you are at OCS? If so, how long? Do you get leave during the program? If so, how much?

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Mallard,
You're definitely at their mercy. Leave is only authorized (other than emergency) if your class dates fall over Christmas, in which case they let you take a total of about 15 days. I think some classes get liberty later in the program, but even that is pretty limited. There will be lots of other people around, P'cola is a large base, but there won't be any sock-hop mixers!
Check out some of the other threads, there may already be answers to your questions.

LTJG G

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
jester_125.gif
Everybody's a comedian...

version2point0

i think the answer to those questions are all no.

your class might secure a weekend of leave around the 6th or 8th week. during that time, you can leave the base if you have family in the area, or call someone fore a few minutes. you can get mail, but it can only be letters (snail mail), no pictures. oh! and make sure you tell whomever is writing you NOT to put too personal of information in them because it is a good chance you will be reading them aloud to the unit.

-v2.0

howlermonkey

You are secluded, but not completely and totally. You can call whomever you want on Sundays at first. Then, when your class secures by the 4th or 6th week, you can call during evening phone hours. You can get and send mail. Mail was kind of a big deal. It's really wonderful to get letters. You aren't allowed to leave at all during the 1st 4 weeks (except in the special circumstances listed above). If your class secures (does well enough on inspection) you get liberty on Friday evenings and then from Saturday afternoon 'til Sunday around 1600. (this is subject to change depending on your drill instructor) You have to wear your liberty uniform at all times while on liberty unless you are PTing or swimming. If your class screws up, liberty can be taken away. My drill instructor had us come back early on Sundays to practice drill. There are computers in the battallions so you can check the news after you get secured and for doing research on the public speaking project. Most email sites have been blocked or firewalled. I don't know if the policies on computer use has changed. We used yahoo.ca to check our email until they figured that out. Hotmail is blocked. You can check your email on liberty. If you need supplies for inspection you are sometimes allowed to go to the NEX. OCS is kind of like being in a dark cave and even when they let you out for small periods of time, your eyes still can't adjust to the light. But it feels great when it's all over. Good luck.

howlermonkey

Oh, yeah. Visitors are hard. You can see visitors on liberty or for church on Sunday if you aren't secured. I wouldn't fly people in to see you, though, because nothing is set in stone and you may not get liberty one weekend or something. There is a formal Dining Out and candidates are encouraged to bring guests to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.