• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SCUBA question

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I got talking to an Air Force 2nd Lt. at the grill outside Bldg 633 a few weeks back and we got talking about SCUBA quals and dive schools around here. He said Pensacola Dive Company was the way to go, with MBT as a close second. He's the only one I've heard talk about the first place, so I'm just curious if anybody else has any first (or second) hand knowledge they'd be willing to share.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
FlyFastNow said:
I was looking into getting my SCUBA certification while I'm waiting around in A-pool, but was wondering if that is a bad idea due to the fact that something may get jacked up with my ears.
Isn't this still all outlawed by CNATRA? Diving, Rockclimbing, Parachuting, etc???

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
squeeze said:
can a helo even fly high enough for the pressure differential to matter? :)

according to who? Navy or Naui/PADI? Navy the answer is no diving... per dive computer and NAUI charts, under 4k only about 6 hrs max is needed.

Regardless though, 24hrs should still be followed.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyFastNow said:
ORM? OPNAV? Please explain... I am only in A-pool, people!

ORM-institutionalized common sense with a vengance. Basically figure out risk vs gain then fill out some paper so they have something to screw you with if you f@ck it up.

OPNAV- There are many Operation of Naval Aircraft instructions- These are the pubs that tell you that you cannot do something hence if it doesnt say you cant then you can. OPNAV 3710 Sierra I think is most current and deals with all this stuff. Most of it will be spoon fed to you in primary except the IFR requirements, in advanced you will start to read it

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
can a helo even fly high enough for the pressure differential to matter? :)

Does a Harrier have enough Gas for it even to be a factor.

"(insert squadron here) 22 checking on wiht 0+05 playtime"-no smiles but the sentiment is there.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
skidkid said:
ORM-institutionalized common sense with a vengance. Basically figure out risk vs gain then fill out some paper so they have something to screw you with if you f@ck it up.

OPNAV- There are many Operation of Naval Aircraft instructions- These are the pubs that tell you that you cannot do something hence if it doesnt say you cant then you can. OPNAV 3710 Sierra I think is most current and deals with all this stuff. Most of it will be spoon fed to you in primary except the IFR requirements, in advanced you will start to read it

3710T is the current pub

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OPNAVINST 3710.7T: http://neds.daps.dla.mil/3710.htm

8.3.2.13 Hyperbaric Exposure. Under normal circumstances, flight personnel shall not fly or participate in low-pressure chamber flights within 24 hours following scuba diving, compressed air dives, or high-pressure chamber evolutions. Where an urgent operational requirement dictates, flight personnel may fly within 12 hours of scuba diving, provided no symptoms of aeroembolism/decompression sickness develop following surfacing and the subject is examined and cleared by a flight surgeon.

Etc, etc....there's more, so be sure to read.