• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SCUBA question

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
I was looking into getting my SCUBA certification while I'm waiting around in A-pool, but was wondering if that is a bad idea due to the fact that something may get jacked up with my ears. Does anyone have any information regarding this matter? Is it generally considered safe to dive if one has asperations of becoming a pilot? I want to speak with a flight surgeon regarding this matter, but apparently they're much too busy to find time to talk to me, not to mention I got my a$$ chewed by an HM3 today...

Thanks for your help...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FlyFastNow said:
I was looking into getting my SCUBA certification while I'm waiting around in A-pool, but was wondering if that is a bad idea due to the fact that something may get jacked up with my ears. Does anyone have any information regarding this matter? Is it generally considered safe to dive if one has asperations of becoming a pilot? I want to speak with a flight surgeon regarding this matter, but apparently they're much too busy to find time to talk to me, not to mention I got my a$$ chewed by an HM3 today...

Thanks for your help...
First of all ... DO NOT allow yourself get "chewed" by an HM3 ... or an HM2, either. You're the Officer, no? :)

My $20 worth: A basic open water PADI-style certification should be no problem on your ears. You probably won't go deeper than 40 feet for an Open Water Certification. I did it and SCUBA as often as time permits. If your ears can't hack that, you probably will have ear trouble in the cockpit.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A4s is right...

SCUBA won't be a problem unless you fly after your dive....that could turn out to be a bad deal DCS-wise.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't remember what the regs are but you might want to double check OPNAV 3710. I think the time limits are as little as 24-48 hours before flying, and I think that is the only restriction.
I know you are in the A-Pool, so you might want to ref this too when it is getting close to the decompression chamber.

Chubby

And ORM it. God help you if you don't ORM it! Their heads will explode down there. Next thing you know we're ORMing head calls. Oh well, our's is not to reason why, right?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Chubby, please report to your CO for the violation.

We have heard that you haven't been ORMing head calls.

To add a small rant, NEVER let yourself get chewed by the HM's like A4 said. In top heavy areas (like those who deal with flight students) some enlisted start on that path and the new officers don't know better than to just sort of deal with it. Don't get me wrong at all, most enlisted guys are AJ squared away and will treat you with respect and hence deserve it right back, but there are a few bad apples.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
24 hrs from dive to flight. I fly and I dive, so there is no problem. Go get the cert, it is a good time!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
As far as diving in P-cola, I highly reccomend MBT divers. They are very military friendly and often offer discounts to both military and people who got certified with them.

www.mbtdivers.com

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
24 hrs from dive to flight. I fly and I dive, so there is no problem. Go get the cert, it is a good time!

can a helo even fly high enough for the pressure differential to matter? :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got a PADi and NAUI qual at the P'Cola base pool, sponsored by the Navy MWR mind you, while I was waiting to start API.
Until you're regularly being put on a flight schedule or avphys is around the corner, it should be no problem. Just be careful.
r/
G

Watch out for the one that got away....
wshark.jpg

Training required???...not with one of these babies...
scuba_girl.jpg

Chubby

bch said:
As far as diving in P-cola, I highly reccomend MBT divers. They are very military friendly and often offer discounts to both military and people who got certified with them.

I agree. I went there and have nothing but good things to say about them. Plus they are right outside the front gate, can't beat the location.

trvsmrtn

pilot
I'll go diving. I'm NAUI certified, took the course in college. Haven't been since my certifican dive 2 years ago.