• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scoring carrier landings on CQ

Whistle Pig

Perhaps this has been covered elsewhere and forum members can direct me.

If not ...

My question is ...

Can anyone(s) explain in some detail how SNA CQ landings are scored and what is required to be determined CQ.

In advance, thanks! Appreciate much of the info shared on this forum.

lcaeagle913

pilot
Every time you land on a carrier, it is graded by an LSO (Landing Signal Officer). The grades are on a 4.0 scale, with OK=4.0, Fair=3.0, Bolter=2.5, or No Grade=2.0. There are a few others, but that's the gist of it. The SNA will be graded by their squadron LSOs, which are the same guys they've been working with the few weeks prior to initial CQ. In the training command, a student will get 4 touch and go's and 10 arrested landings (all day time :)) to complete, and will require a minimum of a 2.5 GPA. Most students will generally end up in the 2.75ish range, with outliers getting above 3 or the occasional DQ (maybe 1 in 20 or so DQ).

Hope this helps!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You also need a 60% boarding rate...mathematically you could bolter every pass and still have the minimum GPA.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Top hook is highest GPA for that det per squadron...Ironman is no bolters/no waveoffs/no 1 wires. No, they don't really matter all that much.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
TRACOM Top Hook is certainly something to be proud of - right up until you check into your FRS. Then they turn out the lights and you have to do it all over again. FRS Top Hook is certainly something to be proud of - right up until your first true blue water pitching deck/no airborne gas recovery. See where this goes? :) There's always something ahead of you and this business punishes those who rest on their past accomplishments.

Renegade One

None
Traditional "fines" still in effect? E.g., if "paddles" has to call you to drop your hook (in the groove), does s/he still get a bottle? Maybe not applicable in the "initial CQ environment": "Leave your hook up until I tell you otherwise…I may wanna see one more T&G…"

Anything else?

Renegade One

None
TINS. Blue H20, single engine USMC Hornet. Night time. Best single engine touch and go I'd ever seen. No grade. Do your F'ing landing checks!

:)
How many people (besides the pilot) were required to frak that one up? Don't we still have flashing indexers on the nose strut (or whatever)?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
"Field / Arrest" switch. Allows you to land at field (hook up) without having your indexers flash (flashy outside = flashy inside cockpit as well).

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
TINS. Blue H20, single engine USMC Hornet. Night time. Best single engine touch and go I'd ever seen. No grade. Do your F'ing landing checks!

:)

With 'every pass being graded' how does that play out in the squadron? After you qual, if your trap GPA drops to low is that akin to failing a NATOPS check or an IX? What are the consequences? When to they kick in?