• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scoober got Robbed. Be aware and on the lookout for his stuff. NASCC/Padre Island

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
IIRC from my criminal justice education years ago, a house with nobody in it (or bank, car, building, etc) can’t be robbed, only burglarized …

either way, sucks for Scoob … I took appropriate measures after reading this thread.

S/F
All,

Scoober78 got robbed over the weekend when he was on leave. He lives on Padre Island, in Padre Isles.

The got:
All his guns, including a lot of irreplaceable stuff (serials to be added)
His wifes' jewlery
His computer & Laptop
His tools.

If anyone out there sees someone selling stuff really cheap, let me know.

Also, keep an eye on your stuff and make sure your renter's insurance is paid. Scoob was smart and had a seperate rider so his guns are covered.

Web-Gurus, is there a way to get his MAC address off of the logs here so that he can possibly try to track it down?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IIRC from my criminal justice education years ago, a house with nobody in it (or bank, car, building, etc) can’t be robbed, only burglarized …

either way, sucks for Scoob … I took appropriate measures after reading this thread.

S/F

True that...if he was robbed (especially in his home) he'd be able to use one of those weapons to deal with the problem like the retired Marine in FL.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn, that sucks. Had a rash of breakins out here in my command recently, got the laptops, dvds (cases and all), and jewelry...

No way to get the MAC from my end.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot

S/F

Correctomundo. A robbery is taking from the person using force or fear. This would be a burg.

schwarti

Contributor
Regarding the computer, to Scoober -

Call up the company you bought the computer from. (Dell, HP, Apple, etc.) If you registered your computer, they might be able to help you out - my sister had a laptop stolen, and we'd registered it. They were able to give the MAC address to the cops. Nothing happened after that, but oyu might have more luck. (The kid who stole her laptop was later caught, but her machine wasn't recovered - a lot of other stuff was, though.)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
To piggyback on shwarti's post, everyone should check their laptops to see if it has a built in tracking function. The catch is that you have to turn it on, because it usually is disabled from the factory. Just go into your laptop's bios/setup screen on startup and look for it in there.

My laptop is a Dell D610, has it in it, so it might not be a bad idea to check it out.

schwarti

Contributor
There are also programs you can download that'll track it as well. I'll try to find some, but I'm sure if you Google it, you'll find something.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the regrets gentlemen. I couldn't agree more with Scnugg...buy a safe...now! The irony is that we were looking a few short weeks before.

I also agree that someone knew what we had...either by knowing us or friend of a friend stuff. The people who knew we were heading out of town are limited so hopefully that will lead somewhere. The whole house was very neat...no tossed clothes, discarded items etc...it was all very neat. Actually took us several minutes to realize that it had happened. All this leads up to the fact that someone knew we were gone, and took their time.

Feddoc...never got the PM...if you could resend I would appreciate it. It's always easier to get them back then to try to replace them...especially some of the firearms I had...Garand with researched serial # and history etc...so any help in that regard is great. I have all the serial number and model data available, so if you think it could be of some help, PM me and I will send them your way.

Bottom line...I learned a hard lesson...two actually. The first is...protect your stuff...someone else wants it. Second, insurance companies are run by lawyers, and consequently suck ass....updates to follow. Thanks again gents.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Some of my family got their house robbed in Milton a while back. They had the same type of items taken. Long story short, check the pawn shops. There are a lot of them in the Pcola area, but you have to fill out a form and show an ID when you pawn something. My family found 80% of their stuff and the cops caught the bastards from their pawn trail.

GroundPounder

This would be my advice based on 17 years of law enforcment experience.

In a perfect world you wouldn't have to do this but I would advise to get in contact with the agency that is working the burglary and ask to speak with the investigator that handles the pawn shop detail. He/she needs to go out and pull the pawn shop records right now, rather than the next time they are scheduled to be checked. It may be several more weeks until they get looked at, every day counts a lot twords getting any property back.

I would also make sure that the report is detailed, for example if an Ipod is stolen you want to see something like this in the report:

Apple Ipod, 40 GB model white in color. The vicitm stated that it is loaded with every Beatles album. The serial number is XXXXXXX.

What you don't want is this:

White MP3 player, NOD.

In short, you want to have everthing described as throughly as possible to make it easier to ID it as your property.

I would also suggest that you stay in contact with the investigator assigned to the case. Call and get frequent updates and make sure that they don't let your case fall by the wayside. Remember that just like " Topgun " is not an accurate depection of how things really are for you, neither is " CSI " anything like real life in a police department.

In a perfect world you wouldn't have to do this, but the more you interact with them, the more time will be spent on your case.

Also, make sure that before you sign any settlement with your insurance company that you are aware of their policy reguarding property that may be recovered after your claim is paid off. After you have been paid, anything that is recovered is the property of the insurance carrier, not you. If it's a tv, or any common household stuff it is a non-issue, but with guns or anything with sentimental value it would be better to discuss it prior to claim settlement. Most carriers don't want to fool with having to dispose of a firearm, and will let you buy it back for what they paid you, but if you don't let them know before hand, you might not ever be notified that it was recovered.

Lastly and perhaps the worst news is that the chances that your house will be burlarized again are pretty good. The person that did it the first time now knows what is left to get. Most departments will put your house on a special watch list and check it several times per shift, ask the investigator to put your house on this list. After a day or so call and ask to speak to a supervisor of the patrol division and ask how many times the house was checked. Be the squeeky wheel.