• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapalmRat

How do the NFO schools differ from Pilot schooling? And exactly what schools do they go to, for Marine Corps anyway, i'm not too concerned about Navy unless they are the same process.
Just a few details on whatever schooling takes place I'd be thankful for.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Basically, NFO differs from Pilot training in that you only will have the stick in your fam phase which is about 6 flights if I remember correctly. After that, you focus on instrument nav. You hop in the back seat and navigate. After that, you go on to visual navigation. After that, you move to the T-1 and do more airnavs and more low level visual navs. After that, you will move to VT-86 where you will do more low-levels and eventually move to tactics and radar. Basically, with the exception of radar stuff, you are doing the same thing except the standards go up as you progress. If you have specific questions, leave them and I'll try to help you out. Later.
--Goplay

NapalmRat

How long is each school, i know the total is a couple years, and i'm looking pretty far ahead since I have yet to complete OCS. But I've been to boot camp and all that so i'm hoping i can get thru ocs.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
If you got 18's, it will take you about a year and a half for wings. For Prowlers about a year and 4 months. That's from the start of API.

TransvestFO

Seven years of college, down the drain.
Let's see... VT4/10 then 86 (NFO) will take you about a year plus a few months (depending on platform). Props are gone after Primary. E-2 guys leave after intermediate and get their wings in Norfolk at the RAG. Jet guys take the longest. Then, of course, you spend several months (maybe 8-10) at you respective RAG prior to hitting the fleet. If you were a SNA, Primary takes about 6 months (weather dependant) then helo guys split off (don't know how long that takes). Prop intermediate takes only a couple of months then advanced about 8 more months. Jet int and advanced can take another 1.5 years after Pri. Then its off to whatever RAG for another 8 months. Remember, all that is done to make you an additional weapons system available to a COCOM (regional comander) so he can put warheads on foreheads 24/7 around the globe. Wearing Nomex and looking cool at the club are just side benefits. Good luck!

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
You forgot the school were marine NFOs learn how to put those F/A-18Bs back together with duct tape.

R

RickyDT34

rjack14 said:
You forgot the school were marine NFOs learn how to put those F/A-18Bs back together with duct tape.
I think it's called 100MPH tape when used on USMC aircraft. :icon_mi_1

Status
Not open for further replies.