• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

scholarship process

willwalk123

I am currently about to be a senior in high school, and i want to apply for an NROTC scholarship. My question is should i talk to an officer recruiter before i begin the application?

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I am currently about to be a senior in high school, and i want to apply for an NROTC scholarship. My question is should i talk to an officer recruiter before i begin the application?

I talked to no one when I did my application way back when. I don't recommend doing it my way.

Immy

When you start filling it online your local NROTC coordinator should contact you via E-mail, but I wouldn't wait. Contact him/her first. They'll give you his/her E-mail based on where you live.

torpedo0126

Do both. Scholarships are on somewhat rolling admissions. You don't have to accept it if you don't want it and you get a 'free' year to decide if you want to continue the program.

willwalk123

Thanks for the replies. Any specific questions i should ask the NROTC coordinator when i go see him/her? I have a few in mind but i want to be as prepared as possible before i go in there.

JhwK08

Thanks for the replies. Any specific questions i should ask the NROTC coordinator when i go see him/her? I have a few in mind but i want to be as prepared as possible before i go in there.

It's your future - ask him whatever you're curious about. If you do decide to ask him about the typical day in the life of a ROTC student, keep in mind that it is school A may be /very/ different from school B. If you have narrowed down the schools you want to go to, I suggest contacting the recruitment officer at each of those schools so they can give you a better idea of what that particular NROTC unit is like.

For example - going to A&M and not expecting a big time commitment would be a big letdown.

willwalk123

I actually recently emailed the recruiting officer at Auburn, i guess around 2 weeks ago, and still have not heard back, hoping to soon though.

On a side note, JhwK08, i noticed in your profile that you are studying Aerospace Engineering, how do you like it so far? That's what i plan on studying if i go somewhere that offers it.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
It's your future - ask him whatever you're curious about. If you do decide to ask him about the typical day in the life of a ROTC student, keep in mind that it is school A may be /very/ different from school B. If you have narrowed down the schools you want to go to, I suggest contacting the recruitment officer at each of those schools so they can give you a better idea of what that particular NROTC unit is like.

For example - going to A&M and not expecting a big time commitment would be a big letdown.

I agree. If you're looking for a full-time military education, try the Academy. If you're looking for a once-a-week thing, try any old ROTC place. If you're looking for something in the middle, hit up a senior military. None of them are particularly better or worse than the other, its just a question of how much military do you want...

Personally, I went for the senior military because I didn't want to do the once-a-week thing (my logic was that I would be unprepared for the daily rigor) but on the same token I didn't want to be an Academy person who had absolutely no life.

However, your experience may be different, as it is with every ROTC unit across the whole nation. ASK your coordinator at the school you're interested in. I know some guys who went through Auburn, they're good guys. Conversely, I know some guys who went through places elsewhere that are complete schmucks.

JhwK08

I actually recently emailed the recruiting officer at Auburn, i guess around 2 weeks ago, and still have not heard back, hoping to soon though.

On a side note, JhwK08, i noticed in your profile that you are studying Aerospace Engineering, how do you like it so far? That's what i plan on studying if i go somewhere that offers it.

PMed

Mmlz

I agree. If you're looking for a full-time military education, try the Academy. If you're looking for a once-a-week thing, try any old ROTC place. If you're looking for something in the middle, hit up a senior military. None of them are particularly better or worse than the other, its just a question of how much military do you want...

Personally, I went for the senior military because I didn't want to do the once-a-week thing (my logic was that I would be unprepared for the daily rigor) but on the same token I didn't want to be an Academy person who had absolutely no life.

However, your experience may be different, as it is with every ROTC unit across the whole nation. ASK your coordinator at the school you're interested in. I know some guys who went through Auburn, they're good guys. Conversely, I know some guys who went through places elsewhere that are complete schmucks.
I'm sorry to bring up an old thread but what do you mean by contacting a Senior Military? Just asking them for advice? I've been looking at all my options and want to make sure I'm not missing one.

torpedo0126

If you're looking for a once-a-week thing, try any old ROTC place.

That completely depends on the school. NROTC is definitely not the once a week thing that some market it as at many schools. It also depends on your level of involvement. Even at the lowest level of involvement, you can probably count on having just more than 'one a week thing.' You may wear your uniform once a week, but many NROTC units have plenty of other events, including but not limited to: PT, colorguard events, drill, ceremonies, fundraisers, sometimes DAILY Naval Science classes.

You can also make yourself super involved by taking on extra stuff within the battalion--and probably being rewarded with even more responsibility.

To answer your original question (again), do both. Be proactive and contact the officer recruiter. The more you pursue (in a professional manner of course) the more you will probably find things working out in a favorable way.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sorry to bring up an old thread but what do you mean by contacting a Senior Military?

I am confused by that phraseology too.

Just to highlight something. Every Recruiting District HQ has one or more NROTC Coordinators. They are senior NCOs that track your progress with the app, answer questions and conduct an interview. They are not really officer recruiters. This is the contact info you will get from the on line app. They are goaled with a quota of completed applications only. It doesn't matter to them whether you get the scholarship or not, or whether or not you accept it. Keep in mind these guys are senior enlisted and therefore, have never been in the NROTC program. They are informed about the application process and how best to be compete for the scholarship. If you ask questions about midshipman life on the campus of the University of Arizona or Cornell, they can't help you.

In addition to the NRD NROTC Coordinators, every NROTC unit has at least one of their Naval Science Instructors ( a fleet experienced junior officer) assigned to deal with the applicants questions specifically applying for their school. So, if you are talking to a LT at a college that is nice. He will tell you about that program and life at that school. BUT, you should also be dealing with the NROTC Coordinator at a Recruiting District HQ. Two different people with two different things to offer you. Use them both if you wish, but you must use the services of the NRD NROTC Coordinator.

JhwK08

I believe he meant civilian schools with ROTC programs that are more intense than average such as VMI, The Citadel, etc.

torpedo0126

In addition to the NRD NROTC Coordinators, every NROTC unit has at least one of their Naval Science Instructors ( a fleet experienced junior officer) assigned to deal with the applicants questions specifically applying for their school. So, if you are talking to a LT at a college that is nice. He will tell you about that program and life at that school. BUT, you should also be dealing with the NROTC Coordinator at a Recruiting District HQ. Two different people with two different things to offer you. Use them both if you wish, but you must use the services of the NRD NROTC Coordinator.

I apologize if I was confusing. This is what I was referring to when I said contact 'both." I spoke directly with the LTs in charge of recruiting in the schools. The coordinators, as wink said, contacted me about the application process.

However, on your application, the recruiting coordinators at the schools should be notified if you put them on your application (I forget what the electronic form is called). Proactive LTs usually will give you a call or maybe send you some informational pamphlets (at leasts thats what we did). Even if they don't, hop online and grab the units contact information off their websites.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe he meant civilian schools with ROTC programs that are more intense than average such as VMI, The Citadel, etc.

Um, well, I understand the distinction between schools like VMI and most others. But I have never heard the distinction referred to by that phrase and it doesn't make any intuitive sense. Did that just come from desertoasis' imagination?